Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver war badge awarded at home or overseas?

GaryJS

Hi,

I am trying to find some information for my wife's Granddad, Ernest Edward Tinson (32680). His father served in WW1 and rumour has it that he was shot in the behind whilst on a horse. I'm trying to find the truth behind it and where it happened.

All I have been able to find is his medal card. On it is listed that he was called up to serve in the "Y & L R" and that he later transfered to the labor corps. He received the Silver War Badge and it says next to it "LC/5130". No reference is made to a theatre of war?

Can anybody help at all?

post-36921-1219652743.jpg

Gary

The Labour Corps SWB list indicated by reference LC/5130 should say whether he served overseas and will give reference to the reason for his discharge from the Army. Normally this just amounts to whether it was due to sickness or wounds but occasionally it will give more precise details e.g., gunshot wound right shoulder, shrapnel etc

I should be at Kew either tomorrow or the day after. If time permits I will have a look at the above SWB list.

Regards

Mike Shingleton

Sorry for the delay in replying. I headed out for the day not long after posting..

Thank you so very much for your very kind offer! That would be great if you get the chance!!

The fact he recived BWM & Victory Medals confirms that he served Overseas,had he not he wouldnt have received Medals...

The cards for just the BWM & Victory {ie NO Star} rarely give theatre of War entered;or date; unlike the MiCs that include; or are for the Stars.

The actual Medal Rolls {LC/101B226~23003} may give Battalion number for the Yorks & Lancs Regt [He was most likely posted to the Labour Corps as a result of his wounding with Y&L on his initial recovery & Medical downgrading & discharged from the Labour Corps when his condition degenerated & he became unfit for further Military Service.

Thanks Harry,

That answers most of my question.. It would be good to find out which Battalion he was with to try and trace what he did. I was lucky that my own Great Grandfathers service record was available on Ancestry.. I wish the'd get a move on and get the rest of the surnames (i-z) on there!

The SWB List page will normally give the {in this case} Labour Corps Company he was discharged from on the date of discharge,the Medal Rolls should give the Y&L Battalion{s} numbers & possibly the LC Company{s} served with.

Good Luck! ;)

Yes not available "online" @ present...

I presume this is a daft question, but why would he have been in the Y & L Regt. when he was from near Abingdon, Berkshire? Were men just put in whichever regiment they were recruiting for that day?

Other than the medal rolls, could there be any other way to trace his regiment?

Early in the war men could choose where to enlist, latterly they were posted to wherever there was a need.

Neil