The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marine Feldjasta losses and claims

Regulus 1

On the 2nd of June 1918 Flugmaat Horst Sawatzky of the 1 Marine Feldjasta got wounded near Middelkerke. In the same battle, his CO Gotthard Sachsenberg claimed a Spad off Oostende and Vize Flugmeister Bertram Heinrich another Spad near Oudekapelle.

Does anyone have an idea on the identity of the Spads that were shot down ? Probably French, certainly not Belgian, but who ?

And who shot down the Albatros DV4635/17 of Sawatzky ?

Thanks and best from Johan

The SPADs were apparently not French, since no loss or victory fits for this date and area, neither for the Service Aéronautique nor Naval aviation. There is a victory and a pilot WIA on this date with the USAS 103rd Aero Sqn, but at Kemmelberg, far to the south of Middelkerke. The USAS squadron was, at the time, assigned to the French DAN.

Perhaps British aircraft or a case of mistaken identity?

Johan,

There were no more British SPADS on the Western Front by this time - 23 Sqn was the last to operate the type - by early June they had Sopwith Dolphins. Sounds French or Belgian, but it's outside my knowledge.

Regards,

Trevor

Gentlemen, thank you for the replies, mysterious claims it seem to be indeed !

• 5 years later...

Late answer.

But in my logs, I have A flight of 88 Sqn engaging Albatros scouts over Ostend - 1935-45BT. Capt Hepburn & Lt Proctor claiming an Alb Sct apparently in flames and Lt Findlay & Lt Lambert another as OOC. The latter's BF C785 was shot about but rtn and likely reflects one of the two SPAD(sic) claims. I can point to other cases when Bristols are mis-identified as SPADs.

Cheers Russ