Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

enlisting soldiers

Guest blossoms

hello,

could anyone tell me if there is any way of distinguishing between a volunteer and a conscript on attestation papers?

can i also assume that service numbers followed in a logical order during enlistment? for exapmle, in the movements of my great uncle, i have found soldiers with service numbers either side of his, who died at the battle of le transloyin november 1916. can i assume that he would have fought in this battle?

if my questions seem niave, i apologise as i am new to this.

thank you

andy bosson

I expect by 'volunteer' you mean a man who, not a pre-war soldier, came forward before he was forced? As far as I know, attestation papers do not make the distinction.

However, the assumption could reasonably be made that "volunteering" had all but dried up by 1916 and most men after that would be conscripts.

Your second question: yes, numbers were issued, almost without exception, in sequence of attestation. But the mixing and shaking of the dice of fate meant that soldiers within a series of close numbers could and did end up with almost any battalion of their regiment. That, plus illness, wounding, left out of battle etc meant that xxx1 and xxx3 could be killed on same day and xxx2 might be having a good time in London.

Good luck to him.