Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Collyer, Royal Berkshire Regiment

high wood

This photograph taken in Basingstoke in August 1908 is of Will Collyer of the Royal Berkshire Regiment. Could someone please check on Ancestry to see if his service papers have survived. I can find a medal card for a William James Collyer 16487 who served with the 6th (Service) battalion and was KiA in July 1916 but I don't think that he was serving in 1908.

Incidently, Pte Collyer appears to be standing in front of the William Morris designed, "Rustic" sentry box which was briefly adopted by the British Army before the Great War. The plans, for which can be found in the Arts & Crafts magazine summer special of 1907.

post-6480-1219590821.jpg

William James Collyer was only 19 when he was killed in 1916, so unlightly to be your man

Grant

There is a WO 364 file for 2160 William Collyer, 4th Royal Berkshire Regiment. Date of enlistment was 13th May 1913, but he does state that he had 4 years previous service with the battalion, being time-expired.

Born: Wokingham

Residence: Aldermaston

Enlisted: 13th May 1913, age 23 years + 5 months

Embodied: 5th Aug 1914

Transferred to Home Service battalion: 26th Sep 1914

Discharged no longer physically fit for duty: 31st Jan 1915

All the best,

Stuart

Stuart,

many thanks for taking the time to search the Ancestry files for me. I am sure that you have found the right man as several other cards that came from the same source had a Wokingham connection.

Interesting that the other William Collyer, (Pte 16487 Royal Berkshire Regiment) also came from Wokingham. His address on his CWGC entry being recorded as East Heath bungalow, Wokingham, Berks. Possibly a relation?

Best wishes,

Simon.

Stuart

Another Collyer that might be of interest. L/Cpl H.G. Collyer of the 1st/4th Bn. His photograpgh is in the Regimental Museum website at www.thewardrobe.org.uk.................then click into COLLECTION and then either type in Collyer or the refrence number 27156.........Might be connected and of interest.

Cheers

MAC

Stuart,

many thanks for taking the time to search the Ancestry files for me. I am sure that you have found the right man as several other cards that came from the same source had a Wokingham connection.

Interesting that the other William Collyer, (Pte 16487 Royal Berkshire Regiment) also came from Wokingham. His address on his CWGC entry being recorded as East Heath bungalow, Wokingham, Berks. Possibly a relation?

Best wishes,

Simon.