Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canterbury Kent War Memorial

Vista52

In 2004 I took my wife to Canterbury to visit my old College haunts. Outside the Christ Church Gate at the Cathedral is the War Memorial. A lot of the names have disappeared with age as the stone wears away. Do things like that ever get fixed-up?

On the genera topic, its clear that many memorials are cared for and updated. on a recent visit to East Yorkshire I was directed to the Great War memorial in Skipsea, which, with its surrounding railings has been restored/repaired following a car accident, and which looks almost as if the whole memorial was newly erected.

On the other hand locally we have a war memorial outside Portsmouth Cathedral which is now so weathered that the majority of the names are not recognisable. wE have unfortunately a large number of victorian memorials around the city in a similar condition - mostly naval in character and not related to WW1.

Keith

• 2 months later...

Here's a photo' from the 1920s, so 'as new' ! Conveniently situated opposite one of the City's 3 Starbucks ! :blink:

post-16973-1225630562.jpg

Does this thread relate to the CANTERBURY CIVIC WAR MEMORIAL or another close by civic tribute (of which there are a few including one or two where the names are badly worn)?

I took these pics (of Canterbury City Civic Memorial) a few years ago and the memorial stonework at height did need restoring. Nice to know it's now been done. The names are on bronze plaques and all can clearly be seen here on my pics -

http://www.kentfallen.com/PDF%20REPORTS/CA...BURY%20CITY.pdf

http://www.kentfallen.com/Kent%20War%20Memorials.html

Terry, I shall send you the full set if you wish? They are all quite large so you will be able to get a close up shot of your relatives name.

Neil

The war memorial was worked upon this year following publicity headed by my Great Uncle Fred Whale. The renovation of the plaques is excellent but the stonework at the top of the memorial needs further work to restore it to the condition in Repulse's picture. I am not sure if this is planned for the future but knowing my Uncle, it has probably been discussed!

Stephen Garnett

Stephen,

These things only ever get done if the local people protest enough, we all need to apply pressure to the local authority in order to get them to pull their finger out...

Neil,

Have you seen the memorial since the work? It is a huge improvement. I will speak to my Uncle over the next couple of days to see if more is to be done.

• 4 years later...

There are clearly lots of plans around to restore local memorials at the moment. The memorial in Hengate, Beverley was restored recently and looks very good. Of the four original motifs representing the armed forces - a tank, a plane, a battleship and a snaky staff for the medical services - only one remained and new ones had to be created in cast aluminium. Our museum received a set of copies, which will make nice display pieces in themselves - I'll try and post a picture at some point.