Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert Mathieson

Neil Burns

Hi All,

I was just hanging up a framed card I picked up a few years ago it is Hackensack's Heroes Those who Made the Supreme Sacrifice in the World War. I just moved and didn't have space to display it at my old apartment so this is the first good look I've gotten at it. One of the soldiers is R. Mathieson and he is wearing what appears to be a British or Canadian Uniform. I checked the Canadian archives and couldn't find anything but i found the below link on the CWGC site. Now Hoboken is not that far from Hackensack and maybe if Robert Mathieson was staying with a Host family as an exchange student in Hackensack the city may have claimed him as one of their own?

The cap badge in the photo is very unclear so it's not much of a help.

Thankyou and take care,

Neil

Robert Mathieson

Neil,

He is listed in "Soldiers Died...." but with the wrong number. Or at least, not quite the same as the number given in CWGC. CWGC number is 306867. SDGW number is 306869.

He was born in Alexandria, Glasgow

Enlisted New York, USA

Before transfer to the Tank Corps he was 303870, Royal Engineers.

Tom

• 19 years later...

Hi Neil,

I have been researching my family and discovered that Robert Mathieson was my Grandmothers first cousin.  I looks like he sailed from Glasgow to New York in Aug 1914 presumably to study in the USA. If you still have the framed card could you post a copy on the forum please.

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @Neil Burns hasn’t visited the forum for a couple of years, but hopefully my tag will alert them to your post.

Neil,

Many thanks for your quick reply.  

Today is Remembrance Sunday in the UK where we remember those who gave their lives for their country,  so it is good to put a face to Robert.  He was a scholarship student at Stevens Rigby Institute of Technology, Hoboken, New Jersey Joined the British Army as a Volunteer in New York.  I think he was originally in the Royal Engineers Service Number 303870, before serving in the 5th Btn Tank Corp (306869).  

All the best, Vince.

Hi Vince,

Very glad I could help and a thank you to Michelle for thinking to flag me on the thread.

I haven't been here in a very long time and never would have been aware of your request.

Best regards,

Neil