Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H.Q. IV Corps Heavy Artillery

KateJ

I've just found this excellent site today.

Perhaps someone could help me. I'm trying to find out more information about my great-uncle Francis Albert Hawes. According to the cwgc website he was in the Royal Garrison Artillery - H.Q. IV Corps Heavy Artillery and died 11 July 1916. He's buried at the Hersin cemetary (which I visited on Sunday) which is between Bethune & Arras.

Is is possible to find out what fighting was going on near this cemetery at this time? The cemetery seems a long way from the Somme, and according to this site's very useful information the IV Corps weren't involved on the Somme during 1916. However, family legend (yes, I know, not always reliable) has it that he died on the Somme.

Could it be that he was injured on the Somme and was moved to a hospital or clearing station where he died? Hersin doesn't seem to have any other burials from around this time - although there are many from November 1916.

Although far from new to genealogy, I'm afraid I'm very new to military research so apologise if any of this is sounds daft.

Kate