Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Field Hospital #42, June 1918

Guest apisani

I am doing research on a soldier in 27th Canadian Infantry Battalion (Manitoba Regiment). According to CWGC this soldier, Nils Abrahamson (294321) died June 25th 1918. In a norwegian newspaper I found information that he died at "Field Hospital #42" (Feltlasaret nr. 42).

Furthermore CWGC Cemetery details tells me that he is buried at Aubigny Communal Cemetery and that "The 42nd Casualty Clearing Station buried in it during the whole period" (March 1916 - September 1918).

Anyone know if "Field Hospital #42" is the same as "The 42nd Casualty Clearing Station"? Also if anyone have information/pictures from their operation and location during June 1918?

Thanks,

Antoni

Hi Antoni:

I can find no reference in the Canadian Army Medical Corps history of a No. 42 Field Hospital, No. 42 Casualty Clearing Station or No. 42 Field Ambulance. Could this have been a British hospital/casualty clearing station?

Garth

Hi Garth,

In the note of the newspaper it only states in norwegian "døde paa feltlasaret 42 i Frankrige" which means "died at field hospital/lasaret 42 in France".

That is all I know at the moment. Of course, in the heat of the battle he could have been rushed to another than a canadian hospital. I don't know...

Regards,

Antoni

Of course, we cannot expect that Canadian casualties would be treated in Canadian hospitals and clearing stations. These facilities operated under Army or GHQ command and treated whatever casualties were directed to them. Most Canadian casualties were treated in British or Dominion facilities just as most of the casualties treated by Canadian hospitals in France were British.

You are probably looking for a British hospital or Clearing Station.

Of course I would be interested in stories to the contrary!

Antoni

No 42 CCS (BEF) was at Aubigny from 20 April 1916 to 25 August 1918.

John Milner