Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Bn, Black Watch

Dan Morton

When was the 2nd battalion of the Black Watch in Mesopotamia? There is a photo in one of the Osprey magazines indicating "The Black Watch entering Beirut, 10 October 1918." Maybe it is correct, but so many of the references in the Ospreys are hooey, I'm always suspicious.

I'd like to know their period(s) of service in Mesopotamia (from and to dates) and, if anyone has any, could you post or e-mail me photos of active service uniforms and field equipment worn? I'm thinking they would have worn KD shirts with kilts, hodden grey(?), tin hats and hessian covers, 1908 webbing or 1914 or maybe a bit of both? Would they have worn topeys ever?

All the best,

Dan

When was the 2nd battalion of the Black Watch in Mesopotamia? There is a photo in one of the Osprey magazines indicating "The Black Watch entering Beirut, 10 October 1918." Maybe it is correct, but so many of the references in the Ospreys are hooey, I'm always suspicious.

I'd like to know their period(s) of service in Mesopotamia (from and to dates) and, if anyone has any, could you post or e-mail me photos of active service uniforms and field equipment worn? I'm thinking they would have worn KD shirts with kilts, hodden grey(?), tin hats and hessian covers, 1908 webbing or 1914 or maybe a bit of both? Would they have worn topeys ever?

All the best,

Dan

Dan

There is a good book on 2Bn in Mesopotamia called 2With a Highland Regiment in Mesopotamia"

Printed in the UK by Lightning Source UK ltd 127075uk00001b/29/a

Joe

Dan I expect you already have this information from British Regiments 1914-1918 but just in case you dont.

Cheers Rob

Bob