Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Hans k.

German Gummimasken Gas Masks 1915-17

Recommended Posts

David Poulsen

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the info about the two gas masks (for some reason i did not get notified about replies on the thread)

So from your answers it seems that they are both postwar, and not the unique world war 1 or world war 2 models that i thought (i did have my doubts to begin with) still, they seem pretty unique and im still happy with the purchase :)

 

I also forgot to mention on one of the gas masks (the one without the exhaust valve) it says 14 okt. 1939 on the filter. I thought i had added the extra info but i guess that was on another forum/post. Oh yeah and the exhaust valve is made of metal.


Again thanks for help

Edited by David Poulsen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trajan
On 8/11/2017 at 16:58, David Poulsen said:

... it says 14 okt. 1939 on the filter....

 

Suggesting German or Austrian or Swiss manufacture!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Argusmcloud
On 7/31/2017 at 14:46, pioneecorps said:

A copy I know, its based on the early style masks used by the German army during WW1, which I will be using in my next exhibition.

 

Gerwyn

 

WW1 German Gas Mask

  Also very late, but so far this thread is the closest ive found to some good info.    I beleive I have the legitimate version of the quoted reproduction, however I have no knowledge of its designation or history.   Does anyone know about this one specifically?   Im thinking it isnt any of the ones spoken about in this thread because the named masks all seem to have unreinforced eyepeices, while this one does.  I have a moderate gas mask collection and I want to make an info card for this mask.

20180207_162716.jpg

20180207_162724.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hans k.

The mask you show is a very nice example of a German 1917 pattern gas mask aka GM17. It is also referred to as the Lederschutzmaske since it was made of oiled chrome tanned sheepskin. This leather mask replaced the earlier rubberized cloth gas mask (Gummimaske) and was the last version used by Germany during WW1, from roughly May 1917 until the end of the war.

 

There is some  more information here:

 

 

Edited by Hans k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Argusmcloud

 Thank you very much for this info.  This will be very helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
emiliusz

Witam. Jestem w posiadaniu maski o której jest ten wątek . Znalazłem ją na strychu więc jej stan oceniam na dobry tylko strasznie stwardniała i nie chcę jej zniszczyć . Może macie pomysły jak zrobić żeby ten materiał maski był elastyczny. Chętnie przeczytam coś ciekawego o tym modelu. Na trzecim zdjęciu jest Polska maska i filtr czy wie ktoś coś o nim ? Może to ten filtr o którym pisze hans k. - pierwszy rodzaj maski? 

1521991230861-416x237.jpg

1521991293863-800x455.jpg

IMAG5938.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JMB1943

I do not read the Polish language, so have used an on-line translation service to generate the English language version below, as my good/bad/indifferent deed for the week.

It will be interesting to see a translation by a human Polish speaker !

 

Welcome. I am in hood referred is this thread . I found it in an attic so its status since joining the good only terribly fully hardened and i do not want to destroy it . Can you have ideas as to do this material hood was suspended. We then I will read something interesting about this model. The third picture is Poland mask and filter if someone knows something about it ? This may this filter referred to by Hans k. - The first type of mask?

 

Regards,

JMB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hans k.

The top two pictures in 

On 3/26/2018 at 17:14, emiliusz said:

Witam. Jestem w posiadaniu maski o której jest ten wątek . Znalazłem ją na strychu więc jej stan oceniam na dobry tylko strasznie stwardniała i nie chcę jej zniszczyć . Może macie pomysły jak zrobić żeby ten materiał maski był elastyczny. Chętnie przeczytam coś ciekawego o tym modelu. Na trzecim zdjęciu jest Polska maska i filtr czy wie ktoś coś o nim ? Może to ten filtr o którym pisze hans k. - pierwszy rodzaj maski? 

1521991230861-416x237.jpg

1521991293863-800x455.jpg

IMAG5938.jpg

The top two pictures in your post show a Rahmenmaske, but I can't be sure which model based on these pictures. The filter is a German 11-11S from 1916. The canister however is a variant Austro-Hungarian issued piece from WW1. There might be Austrian issue stamps on the mask but I can't see any on the filter.

 

The bottom picture shows a post-WW1 mask that looks to be based on the mid/late war French ARS gas mask (l'Appareil Respiratoire Spécial). 

 

Hans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
emiliusz

Nie wiem i mogę pytać na forum. Jaką ma znaczenie maska 1. A może ktoś jest zainteresowany kupić

IMAG5930.jpg

IMAG5926.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bierast
On 7/31/2017 at 20:46, pioneecorps said:

A copy I know, its based on the early style masks used by the German army during WW1, which I will be using in my next exhibition.

 

Gerwyn

 

WW1 German Gas Mask

 

I dyed mine with brown wood stain and added a piece of twine to hold up the filter as recommended by Bernd Fehrle. The result is a lot closer to the real thing.

 

20706220_10212404299195307_.jpg.27e16138081fb9ab71d340f1c4f7d4a3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bierast
On 2/8/2018 at 21:12, Argusmcloud said:

  Also very late, but so far this thread is the closest ive found to some good info.    I beleive I have the legitimate version of the quoted reproduction, however I have no knowledge of its designation or history.   Does anyone know about this one specifically?   Im thinking it isnt any of the ones spoken about in this thread because the named masks all seem to have unreinforced eyepeices, while this one does.  I have a moderate gas mask collection and I want to make an info card for this mask.

 

This is an example of the 1917 Lederschutzmaske, made of chrome-tanned sheepskin. It replaced the Gummimaske (seen elsewhere in this thread) in part due to the critical rubber shortage in Germany (which also forced the introduction of alternatives to rubber tyres on motor vehicles). It did however include some improvements, primarily the reinforced multi-layered eyepieces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pioneecorps
On 29/03/2018 at 13:00, bierast said:

 

I dyed mine with brown wood stain and added a piece of twine to hold up the filter as recommended by Bernd Fehrle. The result is a lot closer to the real thing.

 

20706220_10212404299195307_.jpg.27e16138081fb9ab71d340f1c4f7d4a3.jpg

Thank you for your help with help on making it look more realistic bierast, I like reenactment photo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×