The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

german figures on memorial.

izzy

MANY WAR MEMORIALS HAVE THE REPRESENTATION OF THE BRITISH TOMMY AS A METAL OR STONE SCULPTURE ARE THERE ANY GERMAN MEMORIALS WITH FIGURES OF GERMAN SOLDIERS ?

The Austo-Hungarian war memorials that I have seen in Bohemia seem to be mainly crosses or plain monuments with (very faded) photographs of the war dead behind small glass apertures. They do not seem to be maintained or appreciated, perhaps because those commemorated were on the "wrong" side.

post-6447-1219296039.jpg

This is a photo of a magnificent memorial which is located in the Hofgarten Munich. I have a feeling that between the wars it was mounted on a plinth upright. Its current location is, however, extremely effective. It appears to be lying in a tomb with windows. It is lit by natural lioght, but is located a few feet below ground and has to be approached by steps. It still seems to serve a useful purpose; note the red rose that someone has left behind. Prior to 1945 there were a great many depictions of helmeted figures on war memorials in Germany, but most have disappeared, been suppressed, or regularly vandalised - most notably one which survives, more or less, near the Kennedy Bruecke in Hamburg. If any more paint has to be cleaned off, there will be little left of the bas-reliefs.

Jack

Thanks for the answers the only portrayal of a german on a war memorial that i have seen was on the waggoners memorial. Jack thanks for the picture the memorial loks magnificant.

Hi Izzy! In Germany, World War memorials with a figure of a soldier aren't as usual as in Britain. Coincidently, my hometown has got one! I'll take a photo within the next days and post it here.

Cheers

Potti

In Brieres, France, behind the civilian graveyard, there's the memorial of RIR 234, built in 1917. This German regiment fought in the Champagne from late 1916 onwards.

The monument is still in exeptionally good condition.

Roel

post-5443-1219331905.jpg

thanks again to all that have answered . very interesting, the memorial in france looks quite remarkable .it makes a change to see memorials of the fallen from germany

MANY WAR MEMORIALS HAVE THE REPRESENTATION OF THE BRITISH TOMMY AS A METAL OR STONE SCULPTURE ARE THERE ANY GERMAN MEMORIALS WITH FIGURES OF GERMAN SOLDIERS ?

In the Ehrenbreitstein Castle, overlooking Koblenz, there is a memorial which is a prone figure of a young soldier. It commemorates 1914-18 as well as 1939-45, this memorial was created in 1972.

The only inscription, on the wall above the figure, says "DEN TOTEN DES DEUTSCHEN HEERES"

I have a few pictures that I took last year which I could upload if anyone is interested...

David

David your pictures would be a welcome addition.I certanly look forward to seeing them.

I posted them already yesterday in the thread "Memorials in Germany"

If memory serves Langemarck Cemetary has three stylized German soldier statues towards the back of the cemetary. Cheers, Bill

egbert thanks for the very intresting post [memorials in germany]very sombre just a thought how do the germans remember on armistice day is it a national event like u.k do they have minutes silence etc........

David your pictures would be a welcome addition.I certanly look forward to seeing them.

The memorial has been set into the wall of the castle

post-13637-1219703643.jpg

This is a close-up of the figure of the soldier. the small pieces of red material are flower petals not litter!

post-13637-1219703927.jpg

The third picture is an explanatory plaque about the memorial.

post-13637-1219704425.jpg

post-6447-1219296039.jpg

This is a photo of a magnificent memorial which is located in the Hofgarten Munich. I have a feeling that between the wars it was mounted on a plinth upright. Its current location is, however, extremely effective. It appears to be lying in a tomb with windows. It is lit by natural lioght, but is located a few feet below ground and has to be approached by steps. It still seems to serve a useful purpose; note the red rose that someone has left behind. Prior to 1945 there were a great many depictions of helmeted figures on war memorials in Germany, but most have disappeared, been suppressed, or regularly vandalised - most notably one which survives, more or less, near the Kennedy Bruecke in Hamburg. If any more paint has to be cleaned off, there will be little left of the bas-reliefs.

Jack

Hallo Jack, :D

the figure has always been that of a lying / sleeping Bavarian soldier, the shield device at the feet has the lozenge shaped detail that would have represented the colors of Bavaria, Blue & White, or White on Blue.

There is also another very similar to this located it Lindau, on Lake Constance, again, located in a dimly lit chapel, many more statues can be found in the smaller country towns and villages normally located near the church.

There is also the possibility many others from post WW1 were stripped out of location and the bronze metal used in WW" particularly near the end of the war as good metal was in such short supply.

Connaught Stranger. :D

There is also another very similar to this located it Lindau, on Lake Constance, again, located in a dimly lit chapel, many more statues can be found in the smaller country towns and villages normally located near the church.

Connaught Stranger. :D

See my post, No 7 above.

Ian

A handful of mine:

2802394715_a35ced8219.jpg

and shores of Bodensee:

2803240848_bcdf380658.jpg

and at Glottertal:

2802392721_9a38e818ff.jpg

Gwyn

The software won't let me post a fourth without a gap, even though these are externally hosted.

The one I find most poignant, in Bavaria:

2802394023_a262d4bc07.jpg

Gwyn

many thanks for the splendid pictures. many pictures i've noticed have kneeling soldiers what if any is the significance of this.