Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Soldier

RedCoat

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone would like to help me with identifying this German Soldier.....there is lots of writing on the back and as i dont speak german im in trouble......can anyone identify a unit for this chap....or anything really....

Many thanks, Donnie

Postcard1.jpg

Postcard.jpg

Donnie;

It seems to be a card from a NCO named Albert addressed to his married sister and her children, dated June 22, 1917. I don't think that he is in the Prussian Army (the bulk of the German Army) as there is no Absender Block, as required by Prussian military postal regulations. (If there was, we would know a great deal more.) Maybe someone with sharper eyes than I can make out the state cocade and figure out the sloppy address. Very likely Bavarian. Did your scan cut off the stamp at the top of the card on the text side? Don't see any unit information. Didn't try to read the text, but they usually are quite unmilitary, especially to women and later in the war.

Bob Lembke

It is not Bavarian, Regimental staff of IR 180 or 160

Best

Chris

IR 180 was a Württemberg outfit - 10. Württembergisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 180.

IR 160 was Prussian - 9. Rheinisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 160.

I'd say it says IR 130 - aka 1. Lothringisches - which would fit with his sister living in Metz (Lothringen = Lorraine).

The sender's surname appears to be Siebach but I can't make out what comes before it due to the round stamp.

Adrian

I'd say it says IR 130 - aka 1. Lothringisches - which would fit with his sister living in Metz (Lothringen = Lorraine).

The sender's surname appears to be Siebach but I can't make out what comes before it due to the round stamp.

Adrian

Hi.

A "3" is a good possibility as well, I think the Metz clinches it...

Addressed to:

Frau

Zahlmeister M. Herbert

[Zahlmeister=Paymaster would be her husband's title/rank]

Sablon-Metz

Kaiser-Karlstr. No. 28

Im Felde, 22.6.17

Liebe Schwester nebst

Kindern!

Deinen lieben Brief v. 18. heute

erhalten u. freute mich zu erfahren

daß zu Hause alles wohlauf

ist, was ich auch von mir berichten

kann; umseitig eine Aufnahme

von gestern. Für heute den Eltern

u. Kindern recht herzl. Grüße von

deinem ?l. Bruder Albert

In the Field, 22 June 1917

Dear sister and children,

Have today received your kind letter of the 18th and was happy to hear that everyone is well back home, and I can report the same for me; overleaf a photo taken yesterday. For today, warmest regards to our parents and the children from your ?loving brother Albert

Adrian

It is not Bavarian, Regimental staff of IR 180 or 160

Best

Chris

You guys must be right, but I have or have looked at hundreds of cards/photos sent thru the Prussian military mail, and can't recall ever seeing one without the Absender Block, unless very early in the war. (I think that they were required after early 1915.) I would imagine that a major purpose was if someone wrote something that should not have been in the post, military information, etc. I should have made a greater effort with the truncated stamp, which to me didn't look like a unit stamp. Can't recall seeing a unit stamp from a regimental staff. One of my father's cards from Verdun was posted from the post office of the HQ of the Crown Prince's 5th Army at Stenay-sur-Meuse. The German stamp collecting society has a working group on German Feldpost of about 100-120 members world-wide; every quarter they publish a 50 page newsletter, say 6 years ago membership was $25, including the newsletter and its postage. In a moment of insanity I almost joined.

Very sloppy card. Wonder what the guy did on the staff? Nothing too important, I hope.

Bob

PS: Chris - My head is too fuzzy and occupied to seriously tackle the other topic, which might actually require me to think. This open heart surgery stuff really scrambles your brain for a while.

No (WW1) Volksbund-entry for an Albert Herbert, so he may have survived the war.

Roel

No (WW1) Volksbund-entry for an Albert Herbert, so he may have survived the war.

Herbert was his sister's married name. The chap in the photo is possibly Albert SIEBACH - Albert from the signature, Siebach from the Absender (upside-down behind the stamps, Bob! ;) ).

Hol. [or Hob., but no idea what that's for] [illegible word/abbn., obscured by round stamp] Siebach att. I.R. 130 / Rgts.-Stab

No Volksbund entry for Albert Siebach either.

Adrian

Hi guys,

Many thanks to everyone who has replied on this topic. So this is Albert Siebach an NCO of I.R. 130? getting a bit confused with his unit.....has anyone got anymore info on where this unit would have been round about this time?.....with regards to the scan that is it...no more stamps.....

Donnie