The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Badge Id

JonHughes

Hey Guys,

I'll start of by telling you what I know so far.

This badge, turned brooch, belongs to a friend of the family. Their Great Grandfather they believed served in World War I and spent time serving in India with the Kings Dragoon Guard. The family did have in their possesion his full uniform and ceremonial sword however it was sadly thrown away. They remember the uniform being a bright red. This brooch was found only a few weeks ago in their grand mothers possesions who sadly passed away. The family at this stage wish to know what part of the uniform the brooch came from and if it is indeed a WW1 Badge.

Waiting for your reply's :)

Jon

post-33364-1219237490.jpg

Jon It is indeed 1st Kings Dragoon Guards but I think it is post 1937

Cheers Rob.

Jon,

Sorry to disappoint but it is not World War One vintage. KDG had same style badge (Arms of the Emperor Francis Joseph I of Austria- Hungary) but with a scroll underneath worn from circa 1898 -1914. In 1915 changed to a crowned star style design with a brass insert KDG in the centre. The badge you are displaying was introduced circa 1937 and was initially brass and then white metal. Now the badge of the QDG.

Cheers

Chris

Jon,

Having now seen the rear, yours is a stirling silver officer's badge post 1937 which has been converted to a brooch style or sweethearts badge.

Cheers

Chris

Thats ok, I thought it was post WW1 too from my initial thoughts, the gentlemen in question is a Major Joshua BIRKETT.

Anyone able to add anymore from the hallmark? And where abouts would the badge been worn originally on the uniform?

Jon this is the two badges one discontinued 1915 the other the star 1915 untill 1937 then to your badge without the scroll post 1937.

Cheers Rob.

Hi

Have looked at hallmark, Anchor & lion are the marks for Birmingham assay office, the X is the date letter for 1947 so deffinately not WW1.

Hope the above helps

Rob

Ive also just looked looked through the regimental website and noticed that J BIRKETT was the RSM in 1935. Ive also been told it could possibly be an arm badge rather than an officer's badge due to it being 3"x3.5" in width and height.

Is the badge rare as it is hallmarked or is it quite common?

In office, and there are precious few hallmark interpreting sites beyond knowing it's Birmingham made, , but the hall mark and the brooch fitting indicate to me a superior quality sweetheart brooch, rather than a cap badge.

This chap maybe,

Birkett M.J. Lieutenant 1941 - 1949 KDG

Just measured my old arm and cap badges, neither come anywhere near 3.5 in x 3 in the cap badge is however 3 cm x 3.5 cm, officers should be around the same, my arm badge is QDG but I think they would have been around the same sort of size

If this is the same chap you have the Joshua bit, it is quite likely the RSM would have a silver badge which badge is another thing eagle or star ? given that he was RSM in 1935 was he comissioned later to get the Major bit.

RSM. J Birkett 1935

Birkett, Joshua

Corps Regiment No Rank

1st Dragoon Guards D/33362 Private

1st Dragoon Guards 391944 Private

I have passed a link to this thread to a old mate who is curator of the QDG museum maybe he can help.

Thanks so much for your efforts, I'm thinking about saving this beautiful badge from a trip to the dealer and offering to take it from my friends hands as they want to sell it.

As I said earlier, all I know at the moment is that he was in the Army for a very long time and saw service in India sometime during his time in the army.

Jon, this is your man, comissioned in 1940 I think, Jack the QDG curator has the link to this thread

If this is the same chap you have the Joshua bit, it is quite likely the RSM would have a silver badge which badge is another thing eagle or star ? given that he was RSM in 1935 was he comissioned later to get the Major bit.

Birkett M.J. Lieutenant 1941 - 1949 KDG

RSM. J Birkett 1935

Birkett, Joshua

Corps Regiment No Rank

1st Dragoon Guards D/33362 Private

1st Dragoon Guards 391944 Private

I have passed a link to this thread to a old mate who is curator of the QDG museum maybe he can help.

Would you be able to PM me the details of the curator as the owner of the badge would like to contact him,

Regards Jon

Jon contact details sent.

Would you be able to PM me the details of the curator as the owner of the badge would like to contact him,

Regards Jon

Guest qdgcurator

This badge is the 1938 pattern Officer's hallmarked silver collar badge, for wear with service dress. It is hallmarked 1947. As an aside, the same collar badge hallmarked 1943 or 1944 was the one used as the Sergeant's Merit Badge in Italy....

The Austrian Double Headed Eagle with scroll was worn by the KDG from 1896-1915 when they reverted to wearing the Garter Star. Permission was granted to wear the badge again in 1937 at which time there were only three badges available so the recipients were: The Commanding Officer, The Regimental Sgt Major, and the Bandmaster. In 1938 the complete regiment was equipped with the badge.

Jack

^_^

Jon contact details sent.

• 11 years later...
  • Admin

Welcome to the forum. Jon hasn't visited the forum since 2009, after two posts you will have access to private messages, if Jon is still using the same email address now as he was then, he will receive your message.

Michelle