Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Financial auditor exchequer UK PUBLISHED GOV DOCSrecords

John Gilinsky

I am very keen on someone helping me out. While I have access to the Chadwyck-Healey online dbs of British parliamentary papers in part due to only lukewarm experience and the sheer volume of records I need expert guidance.

What departments of the British government audited, issued cheques, checked expenditures and revenues and the like? In the online dbs there are several if not many departments and headings! I am looking of highly detailed lists showing to whom and for what the British government was spending war money on. The answer may lie in several departments of course. War appropriations are a natural favourite. Can someone please give me specific guidance here? Any gov doc or parliamentarian librarians? Any (gasp! B) economic historians?

Please be as specific as possible.

Thanks,

John

Toronto

John

Doubt if you will get a detailed list,I'm afraid that individual Department would have been and still are responsible for there own expenditure.

But HM Treasury , would have had and still does have overall responsibilities for Government spending, so should have overall records for each Government Dept and Exchequer and Audit Dept ( now National Audit Office) would be responsible for Audits etc.

Hope this helps a bit.

Alan

The records of the National Audit Office (under its various titles) are in the AO classes at Kew. I do not know if any of these are available online but somehow I doubt it.

Excequer files are in the E classes. The same comments apply.

I could not see any of the WO classes which might help you but they may be hiding under another guise, e.g. WO32 or WO33.

Payments on behalf of the Government were, and still are (or were until recently) issued by the Office of HM Paymaster-General, whose records are in PMG classes at Kew.

Happy browsing!

Ron

John

You won't find the level of detail that you require within the Parliamentary Papers, well not for our period anyway, but if you use search terms such as 'army estimates', 'navy estimates', 'appropriation accounts' etc then you will find various documents which give some indication of government spending on the armed forces.

Good luck.

Aled