Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

S/11573 Private Andrew Houston

Richard Bain

Hello Pals,

My wife has recently seen some papers from the estate of her great uncle Andrew Houston of New Cumnock, Ayrshire, Scotland. Among these were his paybook from the Great War which contains a great many items which I would imagine might interest some of the pals. It is my intention, with your help to reconstruct his journey through the Great War using these documents.

post-4226-1219180709.jpg

post-4226-1219180494.jpg

Please feel free to chip in. Any and all comments gratefully received

Richard

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes that is our man. I take it that the certificate refers to the medals we found in a small change purse.

post-4226-1219183290.jpg

Which ones were these? Pip, Squeak or Wilfred?

Richard

Which ones were these? Pip, Squeak or Wilfred?

Richard

In fact, they are Mutt and Jeff. This was the term given to the War and Victory. When they were accompanied by either of the Stars (1914 or 1914/15 ) the trio were referred to a Pip, Squeak and Wilfred.

All of these names refer to comic strip characters of the day.

.... and all that for sixpence a day!! I take it that the deduction would go to his parents as he was single at the time.

Richard

Andrew survived the Great War and the post cards that he sent to his family were inside his paybook.

post-4226-1219242151.jpg

This one is postmarked Ayr 23 Sept 15 which is the day after his attestation. it reads "We are off to Perth with the 2 o'clock train will write later. We are in the Black Watch" Would Andrew's attestation take place at Ayr Barracks? If so why would he have been in the Black Watch? Ayrshire was primarily an RSF county. I would imagine that Perth then as now was the Black Watch HQ.

post-4226-1219242175.jpg

The stamp and postmark of this one have been obliterated but we know where he is. The second page of his pay book places him at Nigg which is near Tain on the 29th Jan 1916. Basic Training?

Richard