Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery

rossman@worldonline.co.uk

Hello Forum Members,

I am trying to ascertain what my Father did in the 14-18 War. He spoke very little of his War Service. He was Benjamin Barrass Coates, born 1896 in South Shields. He spent his eighteenth birthday in the R A on Doncaster Race Course. He was gassed on the Somme and afterwards suffered Rheumatic Fever. His only reference to the war was that as a composite battery they were given the order to fire over "Open Sights" at the Somme and the battery had to retreat when they ran out of oil to cool the guns. On his two medals the inscription on the rim reads 1642 GNR B Coates.

Any assistance with finding his record card would be gratefully received.

James Coates

James, Welcome to the Forum, members cleverer than I will come along and help with his papers,of which 15 pages (some duplicated) appear on Ancestry also his Medal Index Card under the name Ben, two numbers 1642 and 751424. Just sit back and watch !!! (23 Harold Street South Sheilds on his enlistment paper) Regards Ralph.

Welcome James, have PMd you.

Susan.

His service number 751425 indicates service with the 1st Brigade of the Northumbrian Division, Royal Field Artillery, (Territorial Force).

James, Welcome to the Forum, members cleverer than I will come along and help with his papers,of which 15 pages (some duplicated) appear on Ancestry also his Medal Index Card under the name Ben, two numbers 1642 and 751424. Just sit back and watch !!! (23 Harold Street South Sheilds on his enlistment paper) Regards Ralph.

Hi Ralph

Many thanks for your help

Regards

James Coates

His service number 751425 indicates service with the 1st Brigade of the Northumbrian Division, Royal Field Artillery, (Territorial Force).

Hello

Many thanks for your reply to my enquiry about my father's war record

Regards

James Coates