Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1O Hussars

Guest dacl37

The Regiment was in the line opposite the 'Bird Cage' fortification between Ossus Wood and Vendhuille.

If you require further information I can a reasonably detailed account of the Regiments activities.

I have the letters written home of Capt William Armstrong XRH of Moyalliffe here in Tipperary. There is a lot about the war in them until he was Killed in Arras in 1917. I can send you a copy if you wish. There are 80ish pages,

regards.

Tom Burnell

I'd be very grateful indeed for a copy of these letters if that was possible. I'm quite happy to cover any expence involved. Captain Armstrong is buried at Faubourg D'Amien British Military Cemetery and I have visited his grave many times.

Please let me know how we can arrange to get copies over to me.

Regards

Martin

Martin.

I have his photo and a picture of his gravestone and his original Wargrave cross. His letters were not censored. His uniforms are in the museum including his sword plus many personal items of his .What is your interests in this field?

Tom.

I forgot to mention there are also letters from his days in sandhurst Military Academy,personal letters to his family and great correspondance between his mother? and Fabian Ware complaints about the state of his grave and what he did to clean it up and organise the return of Capt Armstrongs cross to Tipperary etc..

Tom.

Two pictures. First is 'Pat' on his 21st Birthday in Uniform.

Second is a picture of the cross organised by Fabian Ware, brought back from Arras, beside his is the bust of 'Pat' on top of which is his Brodie helmet he was wearing on the day he was sniped by German.

Tom.

post-2-1078258552.jpg

Two pictures. First is 'Pat' on his 21st Birthday in Uniform.

Second is a picture of the cross organised by Fabian Ware, brought back from Arras, beside his is the bust of 'Pat' on top of which is his Brodie helmet he was wearing on the day he was sniped by German.

Tom.

post-2-1078258702.jpg

Tom,

These pictures are excellent though I must say that the inclusion of the blood on the dummy modeling the helmet is macabre in the extreme.

Does this cause much comment in the museum ?

Cheers

Martin

Tom,

Any chance of seeing the other two photos which are visible in the museum shot ? There appears to be a mounted group and a head and shoulders shot of our man.

Yours hopefully

Martin

Tom,

Many thanks for the info. If you are able to copy the other pictures I'd be fascinated to see them.

Cheers for now

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Martin;

Here are a series of pictures from the Museum. I would appreciate if you could identify these unknown armbands and the flag with the G letter.

The rest of the pictures are of Capt Armstrongs uniforms, his Room in Sandhurst, the mounted troop (which was blurred even in the original) and his medals. The Khaki uniform was worn by him in Gallipoli. The animal heads with himself sitting on the right is probably from India.

I will be away until Sunday.

Tom

post-2-1079649090.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Martin.

I just thought I would add that his diaries which were written on a4 type of loose pages were not in my last posts as they were sent to be archived. Before they were sent away I had a chance to see them and they made very interesting reading, the most fascinating part was where he mentioned being over or with an execution party and described the whole thing as a nasty ghastly business. I tried afterwards to pin point the actual executed man by his date of death without success and then I lost interest and forgot about it.

I will see if there is a transcript available but this will be a rareity as I do not recall these notes being typed out.

If I find anything I will let you know.

Tom.

I just found out that the sheets were sent to be archived and since this mans lineage was traceable back to and beyond the 12th century with paperwork the task is a lifetime project. At the moment the documents are in a particular University and most likely will not surface until well after you and I have gone to our maker. I asked the Chief Curator and he remembered the passages but could only recall that the shot at dawn guy was sentenced for desertion.

Sorry the news is not better.

Tom