Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Early War - "Overseas Base Company"

Tom Morgan

In 1914, an officer and a number of men were sent to France ahead of the rest of their battalion, to form an Overseas Base Company.

Could anyone tell me what the Overseas Base Company had to do?

Tom

I went back to your first post and had a ponder. I have a notion that this may have been more than just an advance party who's duties would have been to arrange accomodation for officers, men and animals. That is, find billets and or pitch tents, arrange food and fodder. This sounds a bit more permanent and I think they were intended to set up a transit camp. I think they may have been the cadre for that and if so, they would have only been part of it. The administration, so to speak. There would have been RE and Pioneers constructing the camp.

Tom - yes I did wonder if it was something like putting up tents in a spot already prepared by the REs or similar labouring jobs like that.

(As it happened, while this particular Overseas Base Company was waiting at Southampton, the rest of their battalion crossed the Channel in the night and got there first).

Tom

Tom

I don't believe that this was any form of official title, merely a phrase coined by this unit for its advance party. There was certainly no question of any unit having to find and organise its own camp on arrival in France. The camps were already there and titled Large Rest Camps.

Charles M

The camps were already there and titled Large Rest Camps.

Not in 1914 (the date mentioned in the original posting) they weren't - some one had to set them up in the first place!

Centurion

Actually the Large Rest Camps were set up by the French and the staffs to man these crossed the Channel on 7 August.

Charles M