Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Your country needs you

skyboltone_401

Dear people,

Could someone tell me that dureing the great war when you volunteered your services would you join up in the area that you lived and if so could you pick which part of the army you could go to.

My paternal Grandfather Lived in Battersea would there be a part of the army that was asscociated with Battersea i am trying to find out about my grandfather and was wondering if i could trace him through army service records can anyone help.

Regards cuban.

The "in 1916" in your title and "when you volunteered your services" do not sit well togther.

Conscription was introduced for single men from 2 March 1916 and for married men came only a little later (May). If you soldier was enlisted in 1916 the chances are he did not volunteer. Conscripts could choose to go into the Royal Navy but if they preferred the army had no choice over the regiment they were assigned to.

Prior to that, Battersea men could and did join any number of regiments. There was, however, an especially local unit: the 10th (Service) Battalion of the Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment). Details at http://www.1914-1918.net/queens.htm

The "in 1916" in your title and "when you volunteered your services" do not sit well togther.

Conscription was introduced for single men from 2 March 1916 and for married men came only a little later (May). If you soldier was enlisted in 1916 the chances are he did not volunteer. Conscripts could choose to go into the Royal Navy but if they preferred the army had no choice over the regiment they were assigned to.

Prior to that, Battersea men could and did join any number of regiments. There was, however, an especially local unit: the 10th (Service) Battalion of the Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment). Details at http://www.1914-1918.net/queens.htm

Dear chris Baker,

Please accept my sincere appoligies it is, and never was my intention to offend.

Best regards cuban

Hi Cuban,

List as much information as you can about Grandfather - even family "folk lore" - and some one might have come across him in their own travels.

Grant

Hi Cuban,

Was the William Parr in your other thread the wrong person? :unsure:

Kelly.

Hi Kelly.

Thank you for getting back to me, :D I cant disprove him at the moment, the thing with this william parr is that he is not married. but the william parr i am chaseing got married in 1906 to a mary buckley i have the marriage cert, I have william parrs death cert he died in 1935. I just cant find hi's birth cert to prove who hi's parents was, this is my brickwall he is my grandad and i dont know much about him, plus it is starting to drive me NUTS :lol: i would be very greatfull for any help.

Best regards cuban

My wife's grandfather was in Battersea, but served from 1913 in the Civil Service Rifles. His brother was in the 9th London, then R.E.

My wife's grandfather was in Battersea, but served from 1913 in the Civil Service Rifles. His brother was in the 9th London, then R.E.

Hi Michael.

If you dont mind me asking was he a willam Parr.

Best regards cuban.

Cuban

Have you tried to find your William Parr in the Borough Absent Voters Lists for 1918-1919. They will be held either at the London Metropolitan Archives or Wandsworth Local Studies Library. This should give you both the unit he served with and his regimental number.

regards

Bootneck

CUban,

where did Grandad die (or death registered)

Grant

If you dont mind me asking was he a willam Parr.

Sorry, they were Grammel.

Shouldn't his death certificate give his age?

Cuban

Have you tried to find your William Parr in the Borough Absent Voters Lists for 1918-1919. They will be held either at the London Metropolitan Archives or Wandsworth Local Studies Library. This should give you both the unit he served with and his regimental number.

regards

Bootneck

Hi Bootneck.

Thank you for that, i will be checking that out ASAP.

Best Regards cuban

There is a William Parr died Camberwell June quarter 1935 aged 48 - gives his birth year as 1887 - if this is your Grandad.........

Then there are these births: (London only for 1887).....

William Parr 1887 Apr-May-Jun Bethnal Green Greater London, London, Middlesex

William Aylesbury Parr 1887 Apr-May-Jun Camberwell Greater London, London, Surrey

William George Parr 1887 Apr-May-Jun Hackney Greater London, London, Middlesex

Susan

PS cuban; welcome to you. have a look at the marriage certificate - it WILL give his Father's name. We can then look at the 1901 census for you if you like.

meanwhile will look around for you.

There is a William Parr died Camberwell June quarter 1935 aged 48 - gives his birth year as 1887 - if this is your Grandad.........

Then there are these births: (London only for 1887).....

William Parr 1887 Apr-May-Jun Bethnal Green Greater London, London, Middlesex

William Aylesbury Parr 1887 Apr-May-Jun Camberwell Greater London, London, Surrey

William George Parr 1887 Apr-May-Jun Hackney Greater London, London, Middlesex

Susan

PS cuban; welcome to you. have a look at the marriage certificate - it WILL give his Father's name. We can then look at the 1901 census for you if you like.

meanwhile will look around for you.

Hi susan,

I will definately Research those three names you have given me, and thank you for your welcome i was scared stiff when i first wrote in here its the first forum i have ever been in and so far every body has been so freindly. On the marriage cert of william Parr and mary Parr [nee Buckley] my great grandads name was James Parr and his occupation was bookmaker, The referance ancestry gave is volume 1d page 421 Jan/Feb/March. 1906 His age on the cert was 21. Any help would be greatly appreciated :rolleyes: Thanks again.

Best Regards cuban.

Hi Cuban,

On the 1901 census there is a William Parr in Battersea, aged 14 - living with another family - he was a servant - a stable boy - Groom -.

I am still looking at the James Parr entries for Battersea and can only come up a chap married to a Susan but he worked in a Millers so dont think this is your James (but, you never know) - he is given as 39 years old and the family had three other children Alfred aged 7, Evelyn aged 5 and Arthur aged 2. Do you know anything about your Grandad's siblings at all? It may be your William, especially if he had to leave the family home to earn a living........

Will keep looking for you.

Regarding military records I have come across. There are other William Parr entries - living in Battersea, but the wife mentioned on each of those that look interesting is "Alice" so not your grandad. The others give the chap as saying he is not married (there are about 4 or 5 I have looked at which were promising, but in each case replied to the question are you married - the answer was always "no").

Will keep trying anyway.

Don't be worried about posting here - everyone tries to help one another. The forum pals are really helpful and friendly. So ask away. I am sure I speak for all when I say this.

Susan.

PS; to save you - William Aylesbury Parr - parents were: William Thomas and Grace Annie - so NOT your grandad

and it looks as if the one born in Bethnal Green was called "willie" in 1891 and his parents were Samuel and Sarah.

that only leaves the one born in Hackney. and all the others if he was not "born" in london, but lived there later (maybe the family moved there for work?)...

I have made far too many assumptions here - so take it all with a pinch of salt. If you can let us have any more details of anything that you know it would be really helpful.... I will do my best to help you.

chin up. hopefully we can find him yet.

Hi Cuban,

On the 1901 census there is a William Parr in Battersea, aged 14 - living with another family - he was a servant - a stable boy - Groom -.

I am still looking at the James Parr entries for Battersea and can only come up a chap married to a Susan but he worked in a Millers so dont think this is your James (but, you never know) - he is given as 39 years old and the family had three other children Alfred aged 7, Evelyn aged 5 and Arthur aged 2. Do you know anything about your Grandad's siblings at all? It may be your William, especially if he had to leave the family home to earn a living........

Will keep looking for you.

Regarding military records I have come across. There are other William Parr entries - living in Battersea, but the wife mentioned on each of those that look interesting is "Alice" so not your grandad. The others give the chap as saying he is not married (there are about 4 or 5 I have looked at which were promising, but in each case replied to the question are you married - the answer was always "no").

Will keep trying anyway.

Don't be worried about posting here - everyone tries to help one another. The forum pals are really helpful and friendly. So ask away. I am sure I speak for all when I say this.

Susan.

PS; to save you - William Aylesbury Parr - parents were: William Thomas and Grace Annie - so NOT your grandad

and it looks as if the one born in Bethnal Green was called "willie" in 1891 and his parents were Samuel and Sarah.

that only leaves the one born in Hackney. and all the others if he was not "born" in london, but lived there later (maybe the family moved there for work?)...

I have made far too many assumptions here - so take it all with a pinch of salt. If you can let us have any more details of anything that you know it would be really helpful.... I will do my best to help you.

chin up. hopefully we can find him yet.

Hi Susan.

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier but i have four grandchildren and my wife and i just love being with them any chance we get, they keep us young but tired, anyway thank you for your time and research it is most appreciated believe me,

There were 12 siblings of william Parr the names were.

William Parr was the first son and then the rest as follows.

John

Mary

James

Rose

Daniel

Margaret

charles

Kathleen

Eliza

Henry

Ellen

Rumour has it that he was in the RFA possibly IN the RHA, he had enough kids didnt he. They lived in Battersea and that is where i have concerntrated my research the death cert you mentioned is exactly the rite one i have a copy of that i am wating to go to london once i have enough info and ideas of where to start my research any pointers or help would be greatfully appreciated susan.

Best Regards cuban.