Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

World War 1, 24th Battalion CEF - Wound Strip

Wes_Robinson

I would say he's wearing the 85th Batt cap badge. Seems an exact fit to the photo of the 85th badge that you have just posted.

didnt the 85th wear hackle ( features) on the balmora?

Hi Wes

I would suppose that any hackle was removed on active service.

Malc

i would imagine so too, now that you mention it. i really wanna believe its him in the 85th unifrom and that he went from there to the 24th, just hes enlistment papers says 64th and i still dont see that cap badge as being the 85th, the bottom of the leaf looks different, i checked both 85 and 24th nominal rolls and hes name isnt mentioned.

wes

Hello Wes

I've copied your photograph of teh soldier and blown up the cap badge. It is definitly 85th Battallion. I have compared the 24th 64th and 85th Battallion cap badges in my nifty "Cap badges of the Canadian Expeditionary Forces 1914-1919 Illustrated" by Lenard L Babin. The 24th are the Montreal (Victoria) Rifles and there badge iscompletely unlike teh 64th and 85th and the one in the photo. Although the 64th and 85th aresimilar, the 85th has a crown that extends either side of the topmost maplaeleaf. You can see this best on the right hand side of the badge (as you look at the photo) where you can see the faint ledges of thecrown either side.

I'm sure that he's wearing the uniform of the 85th Battallion.

Malcolm

well i cant argue with that, i wish i had a better quality picture, and hes service record, but in time. anywyas guys thanks for all the help and info. much needed, much learned.

cheers

wes

well i have proof that the pictures is of Amos not Levi. and Amos's record say enlisted 112, transfered to the 25, and recovered form wounds with the 17th. there were some onther transfers that i couldnt make sense of, but thats the major info. thanks to all that helped on the photo and there input, btu now back to the other situation finding levi's british war medal and memoiral cross and a picture of levi, lol looks like my works cut out for me.