Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cheshire born soldier died 17 Apr 1920

delta

"Tracking" down another tankee - this time John Joseph Bowker of Burwardsley (Cheshire) who died (presumably of wounds) in Apr 1920 and is commemorated on the CWGC website.

Grateful for any suggestions as to where an obituary might have been published

Stephen

Not sure, Stephen.

It's about halfway between Chester & Nantwich - both of which will have had local papers.

BTW, doesnt appear to be commemorated on any local war memorials.7

John

John - thank you for taking an interest, both on the papers and the memorials

What I have got through his service records is as follows

Jun - Sep 1896 the youngest son of farmer John Bowker and his wife Mary, living at the Hall in Burwardsley near Tattenhall Cheshire. Enlisted as a 19 year old Cycle Shop manager - his next of kin was his mother. Height was 5 ft 5 in. Approved at Bisley on 18 May 1916. From 16 to 23 Jun 1917, he attended a driving course at Waiily, then returned to C Bn; from 5 to 16 Jul he was admitted to 12th Stationary Hospital at St Pol. later 201461 Cpl Tank Corps. On 27 Jul he was detached to G Bn and then posted to that Bn two days later. He was classified as a Class 1 tradesman (date unclear) and awarded leave in the UK in Jan 1918. H e was demobilised by Feb 1919 and returned to Burwardsley, in Feb 19. He died, aged 23 years, on 17 Apr 1920, and buried in St John the Divine Churchyard in Burwardsley. Listed on CWGC site. His service record shows widowed mother was considered for pension.

Stephen

Stephen,

A look at the death certificate might be useful? Free BMD is thin on the ground for 1920 at present, so I cannot give a reference, but he will be there.

Ian

I don't know whether this is helpful or not, but the Cheshire newspapers pertaining to that area were probably the Crewe Guardian, Crewe Chronicle, Crewe and Nantwich Advertiser, Crewe and Nantwich Observer, the Chester Chronicle, Chester Guardian and I think one was called the ?Chester (or ?Cheshire) Sheaf. There was a Nantwich Guardian. I imagine there were probably others.

The first two Crewe ones are in Crewe Library, some of the Chester ones are in Chester Records Office and some are in Chester City Library. The Nantwich one is in Nantwich Library.

I have always found library staff extremely willing to help, though I've been in person and not asked for help at a distance. Like most others, Cheshire Records Office has a facility to search on people's behalfs for a small fee.

Cheshire Records Office

Cheshire Libraries

I will be going to Nantwich Library at some time in the future to search for information on its dead drill hall and if you can wait, I would be willing to have a quick look for you.

Gwyn

Gwyn - that's most generous offer - thank you

Stephen

• 6 years later...

My Sister and Grandparents are buried at the church.

I went yesterday to do the flowers. The church was open and I found this.

IMG_1769_zps84d422f9.jpg

IMG_1768_zpsedfad7e0.jpg

Rank:Corporal Service No:201461 Date of Death:17/04/1920 Age:23 Regiment/Service:Tank Corps Grave Reference:North of Church. Cemetery: BURWARDSLEY (ST. JOHN THE DIVINE) CHURCHYARD Additional Information: Son of Mary Bowker, of Burwardsley, and the late John Bowker. Hope this helps Simon

You are a true star - thank you so much for all your trouble.

Glad to be able to put a face to a name.

I will try to locate his niece Delia

Stephen,

You may already have this, but if not, here is some additional information.

John's Statement As to Disability papers on FindMyPast, show that he signed a statement that he was suffering from no disability at the time on 29 Jan 1919 at No. 1 Dispersal Unit, Oswestry,.

His Protection Certificate and Certificate of Identity Show that he was considered medically AI, and the address for pay was Church St, Burwardsley.

His Statement of Services show he was posted to M.G.C. H.S. (?) C. Company on 27 Jun 1916 as a Gunner after being called up for service on 27 Apr 1916. He was posted, with the same unit, to the B.E.F. on 16 August, 1916.

Mark

(Link to images: http://search.findmypast.com.au/record?id=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f007284595%2f00887&parentid=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f7284595%2f58%2f887)

Mark

Thanks for sharing the information; the Ancestry site has the same.

What I don't understand is that he is listed on the CWGC Register despite there being no CWGC grave marker.

He is not listed in SDGW and I have also been puzzled that his mother was considered for a pension in the light of A1 health declaration on discharge.

Simon has kindly agreed to leave a note for his relatives so we may pick up a clue from them

• 3 years later...

Simon

Sorry I missed your post.

What a superb memorial booklet.

The story of his fiancee sitting with his body before the burial is heart rending. He died of influenza, just one of many to succumb in the post war period.

Edited by delta

Simon

Thanks for sharing his story. I am now in touch with Terri about "Jack".

She has sent me details of the commemorations of 15 September at Burwardsley, when Ian Daniells of the RTR Association was present and met Delia; There is another tankee buried in the Churchyard, Sgt John Dawson, whose relative William was also there, . 

The village is commemorating Jack and all villagers by erecting a war memorial in November; no memorial being erected after the war. 

• 1 month later...

Remembering Jack Bowker who died on influenza on 17 Apr 1920.