Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service records for Thomas WILLIAMS. Sth Wales Borderers died 1915 Gal

annette edwards

I have Thomas Williams died aged 25 on the 26 August 1915 in battle of Gallipoli.

Pte 11748, 2nd Batt, South Wales Borderers.

I`ve contacted the SWB ,museum and they gave the details that Thomas was born in Pennsylvania. From War graves site , his father is Watkin, and his wife Mary M. ( Miriam)

In 1901 Thomas is living in Glamorgan with his mother Elizabeth a widow.

I`ve phoned Kew, as I can`t find him on Ancestry and they say the records have only been coped up to the H`s, so I have a long wait. I am not in a position to go to Kew myself.

Is there any one on the forum that is willing to have a look for these for me, hope I`m Ok asking for this, as a newcomer to the site, I`m not sure what`s available to ask for out there .

Regards.

Annette.

Annette,

Heres your chap on the "soldiers died in the great war" list :

Regiment, Corps etc.: South Wales Borderers

Battalion etc.: 2nd Battalion.

Last name: Williams

First name(s): Thomas

Initials: T

Birthplace: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.

Enlisted: Brecon

Residence:

Number: 11748

Date died: 26 August 1915

How died: Died of wounds

Theatre of war: At Sea

and for a fee of £3.50 you can get his medal card here (national archives) ; http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=89

Hth

Grant

Hi Grant, this is good ,there is a little more on this records than I knew before.

I`m really struggling trying to find his parents, I know his Dad was Watkin, but thats all.

Big problem is the USA link, which I thought would simplify things, but it didn`t.

I think his records would be the best, but sadly I can`t travel down to Kew.

Thanks

His records will appear on Ancestry, eventually, if they've survived. I fear there may be quite a lot of men with the same name to look through, though!

The "advantage" of him being in Pennsylvania is that though it was by far the most Welsh of all American states (35,453 recorded as Welsh-born in the 1900 US Census), they tended to congregate in the same sort of areas, mainly Wilkes-Barre, Scranton, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia etc, especially if they were South Walians because of the coal mines. North Walians tended to be found in the slatebelt region of Slatington just to the north of Allentown.

Focusing on these areas might help. Pottsville, Newcastle, Bangor, New Kensington and Lansford are just a few others. If you look up Ninnau, the Welsh-American newspaper on the web, you might find a general letter to the paper might help? The fact that his father is named Watkin strongly suggests that he is not of North Walian stock.

Best wishes,

Trebrys.

By the way, the paper's editor/owner is Arturo Roberts and I'm sure he'd be very willing to print the letter in order to try to help you.

Trebrys.