Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

21st KRRC KIA / DOW

The Guardroom

Tracing a Rfm Ernest Augustus Ottley, 21st Bn KRRC who either KIA or Died ? (according to SDGW) on the 14/12/1916.

Trying to understand where and perhaps what action he was wounded / killed in. Think they may have been round the Transloy Ridge area of teh Somme at this time ?

He is buried at Lijssenthoek Miltary Cemetery

Many thanks,

Alan

Alan

Lijssenthoek is more widely known as a cemetery for the Casualty Clearing Stations (10 and 17) and No 10 Hospital of Remy Sidings, to the west of Ypres. It might be that his unit had moved on from Le Transloy (last action there for our boys late October and the Australians 5 Nov). I think he probably DOW there.

Sotonmate

Thanks Sotonmate.

I found that the 124th Brigade were involved in the Battle of Le Transloy. 1-18 Oct 1916, including the capture of Eaucourt l’Abbaye, Le Sars and the attacks on Butte de Warlencourt, which could be where my man was wounded.

What I don't understand is if he was wounded at the beginning of October, why he had not been shipped further away for treatment by the time he died on the 14th December. I would have expected him to be back at Boulogne at least, not near a CCS still ?

Perhaps the question is ' where were the 21st after they left this battle. If they were still in trench lines up to 14th Dec 16, perhaps he was wounded there and not in a lenghty battle like Transloy ???

Rgds,

Alan

The Battalion moved to Meteren on the 16th October and, according to the KRRC records, the 21/KRRC "occupied the Bois Carré area and Ridge Wood until the end of December, with occasional periods of rest in reserve at la Clytte". Not overly detailed, true, but lucky you didn't want the 22/KRRC, nobody bothered to present their records to the compiler for publication!

Martin

Thanks Martiin,

That at least helps place them in ar are.

I guess as the diary stated little that they were notinvolved in anything large scale.

My man being wounded during this period from usual trench activity.

Rgds,

Alan

Alan,

The Appendix to their war diary for this period of december, if it is of use to you, states the following:-

December

1st.

No casualties were suffered by the Batt. during this period in the line. The Batt. was relieved by the 26th Royal Fusiliers two days before the usual date in order that an enterprise against the enemy trenches might be arranged by the battalion on our right.

2nd to 7th.

The Battalion remained in support providing work parties for the front line.

Andy

3rd.

The 32nd Royal Fusiliers carried out a successful raid on the enemy trenches in the Hollandschesur Salient at 12.35am. No retaliation was made by the enemy on our positions in Ridge Wood.

7th.

The Battalion relieved the 26th Batt. R.F. in the left sub-sector of the line.

The Line

8th to 13th.

Enemy trench mortar activity greatly increased during this period, most damage being one to the head of Chicory Lane C.T. and the front line V on either side of this point (C.7.a.3.2.)

13th.

The Battalion was relieved by the 26th Batt. R.F. and went back to La Clytte. During the relief of the front line right Company the enemy commenced to bombard Chicory Lane and the front line with trench mortars causing three casualties to our Company and some damage to the front line and locking Chicory Lane.