Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maximum Age

NIGEL

Harry he hadnt enlisted for the war though unless he had to re-enlist to join the RAF

Yes,Nigel, Blythe had enlisted for the Duration,having been discharged @ the end of his engagement in the 1880s, He was recalled from the Reserve or Re~Enlisted into the East Lancashire Regiment in 1914 to go out to France with Them [East Lancashire Regiment] in 1915,he was only Transferred to the RFC/RAF in 1918.

Not at Waterloo, but shortly afterwards he believed that he was pregnant with an elephant fathered by a French Fusilier. Nothing odd about that....or is it just me.

Happens to us all if we don't take precautions!

Since proof of age was a certificate which did not carry any photo , we will never know how old the oldest or the youngest really was. It may be of interest to know that using dodgy certificates, borrowed from cousins etc. was very common in civilian life. These were required for leaving school and obtaining permission to work part-time while going to school for the rest of the day. My father did just this along with many others.

Hello All,

Not quite what you're wanting to see or hear, but hopefully there will be an attachment to this of Roger Pocock the founder of the Legion of Frontiersmen. I'm not 100% certain when the photo was taken, but it was probably shortly after the South African War, although the medals worn are not very clear.

I'll also send another attachment of the founder of the Northumberland & Durham Legion of Frontiersmen, Horace Shaftoe Orde wearing the first pattern blue uniform of Legion.

Graham.

Me Again,

Being the new boy, I think I've just about got the hang of it. Going for attachment number two.

For Harry!

Sapper Charles Loughrey, Carninney, Ballymena, of the Royal Engineers, who has had six month's experience of the front, has been discharged with a pension owing to the loss of an eye caused by a splinter from a shell.

Sapper Loughrey is an employee of Mr. John Carson, Builder. He is an old campaigner and was through the Afghan war in '79 with the Cameronians. He is 60 years of age and like an old warrior he enjoyed his service at the front.

Comparing the luck of some with his own experience, he says: "Some of the young ones are out more than three years and I was only 8 days up in the danger zone when I got it in the eye. Sure I was through the Afghan war and only got a wee skit of a bullet."

Ballymena Observer, September 7, 1917.

PS 'skit' would be pronounced 'skite'