Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 French Croix de Guerre

i_malc

I'm trying to find further information on my grandad,s croix de guerre award and have tried the gazette. Can anyone please advise if there is an easier way to look up information. Robert Boyce b. 1896 KRRC award dated 1914/15 in WW1.

If you care to post his Army/Service Number it may make a search of LG easier,it is highly unlikely however that any details of the circumstances of his Croix de Guerre award have survived{they were not pulished ~ his name would be in a list of similar recipients}

Harry,

many thanks for the prompt reply, His service no. is 10727 and it is Kings Royal Rifles which I assume you know. i_malc

Recipients of the CdeG generally received a copy of their citation along with the medal. Here's one I translated for a Pal a few months ago:

28th Division: Artillery

Extract from Divisional Order No 34 of 28 June 1918

The General commanding the 28th Infantry Division cites in Divisional Orders

JOHN BRADDOCK, Corporal, "C" Battery, 88th Brigade, RFA

A non-commissioned officer of exemplary courage and composure. On 25 April 1918, under violent bombardment, he succeeded in keeping his gun in action despite very heavy casualties.

General Madelin

commanding the 28th Infantry Division

Signed: Madelin

Colonel Lantes

commanding the Artillery

of the 28th Division

[stamp of the Commander of the Artillery, 28th Division]

Good morning Mick, As the very grateful pal mentioned in your post above , if I remember you translated two such at the time, you stated that these awards were "won" & not handed out with the rations etc. Have you ever seen a c de g award for one of the latter & how would it have been cited ?

Not wishing to cause any "off topic" problems did my comment about storing precious documents go anywhere ? You will remember the two c de g citations were not in the best of condition, I confess I lost track of the thread re. documents.

Regards.

Colin