Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Legion of Frontiersmen'

daggers

Trooper N. Doyle is named on the Liverpool Town Hall Roll of Honour, with 'Legion of Frontiersmen' as his unit. I cannot find him on CWGC and would welcome any suggestions. No other details appear.

Daggers

May I suggest this link as a background to the Legion of Frontiersmen

Wiki link

There is a modern day version of the Legion, a google search will bring up details. I'll leave you to decide their merits or otherwise.

In the case of your chap, it may be a member of the Legion who died during civil duties related to the war effort (in a similar way to those carried out by Boy Scouts)

Hope this helps

Thanks for that link. It seems to leave a wide range of possibilities, but I shall focus on the Royal Fusiliers battalion for starters.

Daggers

Daggers

I've not come across him in my research for the 25th RF. His rank of Trooper makes me think he may have been a member of the L of F that served with the Belgian Army as part of the 3rd Lancers, see this link http://www.frontiersmenhistorian.info/firstwar.htm

Steve

Steve

Thanks for the extra suggestion. I thought 'trooper' very sounded odd in the context of R. Fusiliers. There are all sorts of nationalities listed on the Roll, which do not tie up with CWGC entries, so this Belgian connection may account for his absence.

If I can get any chronology out of the names which are listed only by first letter of surname, I may get somewhere.

Daggers