Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd BN Rifle Brigade

ianandtracey

Hi,

We are currently researching our Great Uncle who served with the Rifle Brigade, 2nd Battalion.

We know that he died from wounds on 17/08/1916 and would like to know:

1) Where the 2nd Battalion was stationed and what battles it was involved in just before this date.

2) Is there any mention of him in the battalion's war diary or in the casulty lists?

Our Great Uncle's details are:

Name: Henry Patrick Hierons

Service Number: s/11692

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Ian and Tracey

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

If you click the link to the Long Long Trail (top left of this page), you'll find lots of general information, including an overview of the Battalion's history. It's most unlikely that you will find your relative's name mentioned in the War Diary (tends only to be officers who get mentioned by name). When you are in the Long Long Trail, if you also click on to "grandad's war", it will give you some ideas about how to research him further. You might also want to contact the regimental museum to see if they have any relevent information (I think they make a small charge for enquiries)

John

John,

Thanks for your reply. We are in the process of writting to the Regiments Museum (The Royal Green Jackets). Just thought we'd try a short cut, just incase someone may have the info already.

Again many thanks for your help.

Regards

Ian and Tracey

Welcome to the Forum.

This sounds like the action around Guillemont(i may have spelt this wrong),during the battle of the Somme.

One of my Great-grandad's served with the 3rd Rifle Brigade and was wounded around about this time,in August.

He was discharged in 1918,his wounds being very bad.

I last went to the Green Jackets museum,about 20 years ago,and it was well worth a visit then.

You will enjoy it,and i believe they used to have a reading room.

I know i spent a couple of hours,flicking through books,at the age of 13,or so.

Good hunting and all the best.

Simon.

Simon,

Many thanks for the info, both on the much appreciated. Will certainly look in the action @ Guillemont.

Thanks again.

Regards

Ian and Tracey

• 2 months later...

Hello Ian & Tracey

Being a new recruit to the Forum I suspect that I might be to late to be of any help to you in your quest for information re 2nd battalion Rifle Brigade, that said, have you tried to obtain your relatives service papers from the Public Record Office at Kew ?

The reason I ask is that apart from the obvious "gems" they sometimes contain, ifyour mans survived the damage in WW2, his papers would (or should ) show the date he was wounded, those that sadly died of wounds did so over a vast span of time, from those that died on the day of their wounding to those who died even years later.

As part of 25 Brigade, 8th Division the 2nd Rifle Brigade advanced across Mash Valley towards the village of Ovillers, north of the Albert - Pozieres road they crossed a wide area of open ground on the first day of the Battle of the Somme, devoid of any cover the men of the 8th Division were met by a hail of fire from well entrenched German positions, a lot of the men became casualties both killed and wounded as the result of enemy machine gun fire, The Official History shows all casualties to the 8th Division as 5,121 all ranks.

Just after midnight following the Ovillers attack the 2nd Rifle Brigade were relieved and moved to Long Valley, on 3/7/16 the battalion left Dernacourt by train for Ailly-sur-Somme.

It was after your relatives sad demise that his battalion next engaged in a significant action when they had another 239 casualties in an attack on Zenith Trench near Lesboeufs on 23/10/16 during the latter part of the 1916 Somme battles.

If you have not yet been to Winchester, ask to see their copy of "The Rifle Brigade" volume 1 by Capt Reginald Berkeley as the book covers the period from the start of WW1 untill December 1916 and is very detailed, you could also check in the copy of the "Rifle Brigade Chronicle" which covers the period you are interested in.

Very best wishes in your research, do try Kew though if you have not already done so.

David.

David,

Thanks very much for your info on the rifle brigade.

We have just returned from France to see our relatives grave. Just before our trip we were able to get to Kew and were (very!) fortunate to find his service record. which as you say contained a lot of interesting information.

Thanks again for your time

Cheers

Ian and Tracey.

Ian and Tracey.

Fantastic result, like you I am really pleased.

David.