Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

battalion and (service) batallion.

Guest Marty7

As I'm very interested in the 8th. (service) battalion Northumberland Fusiliers,

I would to like what the 'service' stands for. Is there a structual difference between

a battalion and a 'service' battalion.

tks + regards

Marty

Welscome to the Forum.

A 'Service' battalion was raised from absolute scratch as part of Kitchener's New Armies in 1914, technically as part of the Regular Army. They were not part of the Territorial Force that existed before the war.

I think the establishment for a service battalion would have been the same as that for any other infantry battalion (in 1914 1001 soldiers, from memory, plus a few more for battalions entitled to pipers). In the early days of no uniforms and no equipment, the numbers could have varied widely. The 8th (Service) Battalion of the Northumberland Fusiliers formed at Lancaster in October 1914 as part of K3 (that is Kitchener's third 'hundred thousand'). They were in France by October 1915

Ian

Army Order 324, 1914.

Augmentation of the Army - With reference to Army order II of 6th August 1914 (as amended by Army Order III of 7th August 1914) introducing special terms of enlistment into the regular army, His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the addition to the Army of six divisions and Army Troops.

The composition and nomenclature of the new units and formations will be as shown in Appendix A. The establishment of each unit will follow War Establishments (Part I) 1914.

The new battalions will be raised as additional battalions of the regiments of Infantry of the Line, and will be given numbers following consecutively on the existing battalions of their regiments.

They will be further distinguished by the word "Service" after their number .....

steve m