Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PTE William F Chamberlain - Loyal North Lancashire Regiment

Guest vince1980

Guest vince1980

Hi

I'm researching PTE William F Chamberlain of Loyal North Lancashire Regiment who I think was my great uncle, I have the attached information but was wondering if anyone could help out with any further information on his service record or any details of the attack that injured him or anything like that.

post-37120-1218710063.gif

This is his Medal Index Card: unfortunately it is not a great of help to you. What you need to establish is the battalion of the Loyals that he served in. The only way you can do this conclusively is to consult the Medal Rolls which this card was created as an index for. They are held at the National Archives at Kew - although if you put out a polite request on the Forum someone may be preapred to do a look up for you on their next visit.

His Service Records do not appear to have survived.

I have tried to work out the battalion he was in from the clues and casualties sustained by the Loyal North Lancs on the 30th and the day before and the day after but it is a bit inconclusive. The 8th and 9th Battalions, part of the 25th Division, were north of the River Ancre during this time so nowhere near Trones Wood. The 2nd was in Africa, the 6th was in Mesopotamia and the 10th in Salonika. This would leave the 1st, 1/4th or 1/5th Battalions as the likely choice. I don't know where the 1st Battalion were (part of 1st Division), but the other two were both in the 55th West Lancs Division. The 1/4th Loyals were in 164 Brigade, who were manning trenches in the Guillemont/Trones Wood area at this time, but, as I said above, only the Medal Roll will confirm his battalion and, once you know that, you can then use the relevant battalion war diary (also held at the National Archives) to track his movements from the time he landed in France (although there is unlikely to any mention of him as an individual in the war diary per se).

Andy.

post-754-1218718840.jpeg