Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Anzac Corps School

mctaz

Just bought this image through E-B, and wondered if anyone could tell me more about this unit and maybe know of members.

One of the junior officers is Lt JC Donaldson 17th Bn.

But looking through the NCO's there's a couple showing medal ribbons with one looking suspiciously like a VC?

The photo was taken around Winter 1916-17, don't know where this school was situated but I'm sure some of you will know?

Cheers

Jim

large.jpg

The Anzac Corps School was at Aveluy, in France. It was formed in France on 11 November 1916. The school ran courses on subjects such as bombing, Lewis guns, trench mortars and signalling.

Have had a look at photos of all VC winners and none seem to match. Could not find any who were SGTs who survived VC actions and were awarded VC only. Perhaps its a DCM? The LTCOL in the middle does appears to be the Commandant LT COL Heritage though....there is a photo in the AWM Collection database.

Rgds

Tim

Hi Jim

Just noticed your post.

My Gt Uncle Ellis Spencer was at the 1st Anzac Training School from 4/5/1917 to 25/5/1917 when he then rejoined his Unit the 5th Mortar Battery.

Does it give any of the names of the people on the Photograph?

Cheryl

Thanks Tim that's two names at least

Sorry Cheryl, only name on the back of the photo was Jim Donaldson, he sent the photo back from France prior to re-joining his battalion.

Jim

Btw.. just discovered I already owned an RPC of this same group, with slightly different positions :rolleyes: I thought a couple of them looked familiar!