Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boy Soldiers

wpf1958

I am researching those who were killed during the Great War aged 16 and under, and interested in any information that anyone may have, particularly of those whose ages are not recorded on the CWGC site.

Wilhelm,

Welcome to the Forum.

There is a Book "Boy Soldiers" (I cannot remember its full title) by Richard Von Emden which gives a comprehensive account of under age boys.

If you look through the Book Section of the Forum you should find previous posts about the Book.

If you type in "Marchbank" using the Search Facility you should find a Thread about James Marchbank 8th Royal Scots who was serving in the front line legitimately aged 14 in 1914 who served throughout the War.

George

Welcome to the forum Wilhelm,

If you search the forum, you will find several threads discussing the subject such as:

If your research is for all of those who were 16 and under, it will include many boy sailors, including John Travers Cornwell VC who earned his Victoria Cross and was dead before he was16 1/2.

To the army, a 'boy' was any soldier aged up to but not including 18 years.

The same was true in the navy.

Can i ask what you are intending to do with the information you receive? Just asking as you have not said. Is it a project which is being published or a website??

I have a medal group to a 16 year old who died of his wounds in 1915, sad and interesting story.......

Can i ask what you are intending to do with the information you receive? Just asking as you have not said. Is it a project which is being published or a website??

I have a medal group to a 16 year old who died of his wounds in 1915, sad and interesting story.......

I am putting together a book and part of that includes all those who served an died aged 16 and below.

Why 16 years please?

Boy soldiers were under 18.

Has not the book been written already? By R van Emden? [not that it could not be improved on, in my opinion]

Anyway, the very best of luck: it is a big project.