Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/lt Philip M.R. ANDERSON 3 Batt RIR d. 24/2/1915

christine liava'a

Remembering Today:

2/Lt Philip Maurice Ramsay ANDERSON, 3 Bn, Royal Irish Regt, who died aged 26 on 24.02.15. Bailleul Communal Cemetery, Nord, France

Name: ANDERSON, PHILIP MAURICE RAMSEY

Initials: P M R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Irish Regiment

Unit Text: 3rd Bn.

Date of Death: 24/02/1915

Additional information: Son of Robert Andrew and Mary Teresa Anderson, of 1, Earlsfort Mansions, Dublin. Native of Ballyellis, Buttevant, Co. Cork.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: F. 10.

Cemetery: BAILLEUL COMMUNAL CEMETERY (NORD)

BAILLEUL COMMUNAL CEMETERY (NORD)

Locality: Nord

Location Information: Bailleul is a large town in France, near the Belgian border, 14.5 kilometres south-west of Ieper and on the main road from St. Omer to Lille. From the Grand place, take the Ieper road and 400 metres along this road is a sign indicating the direction of the cemetery. Turn down the right into a small road and follow for approximately 400 metres, the cemetery is on the right.

Historical Information: Bailleul was occupied on 14 October 1914 by the 19th Brigade and the 4th Division. It became an important railhead, air depot and hospital centre, with the 2nd, 3rd, 8th, 11th, 53rd, 1st Canadian and 1st Australian Casualty Clearing Stations quartered in it for considerable periods. It was a corps headquarters until July 1917, when it was severely bombed and shelled, and after the Battle of Bailleul (13-15 April 1918), it fell into German hands and was not retaken until 30 August 1918. The earliest Commonwealth burials at Bailleul were made at the east end of the communal cemetery and in April 1915, when the space available had been filled, the extension was opened on the east side of the cemetery. The extension was used until April 1918, and again in September, and after the Armistice graves were brought in from the neighbouring battlefields. BAILLEUL COMMUNAL CEMETERY contains 610 Commonwealth burials of the First World War; 17 of the graves were destroyed by shell fire and are represented by special memorials. BAILLEUL COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION contains 4,403 Commonwealth burials of the First World War; 11 of the graves made in April 1918 were destroyed by shell fire and are represented by special memorials. There are also 17 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War and 154 German burials from both wars. Both the Commonwealth plot in the communal cemetery and the extension were designed by Sir Herbert Baker.

No. of Identified Casualties: 609

Terry, something strange is going on with the CWCG database.

If you do a search for P M Anderson - 1st WW- no dates, unknown force, unknown nationality, you get 2 SANLC men, Andersons, but neither first name beginning with P, and no P M Andersons

How come?

If you do one for P Anderson, you get him, among hundreds

Well spotted, Christine. There does seem to be a glitch on the CWGC register when searching for this man.

SDGW states that Anderson Died Of Wounds.

I trawled through ODGW and SDGW and there doesn't appear to be any other casualties around this time as far as 3 Battalion RIR is concerned.

But there are quite a few casualties for 1 Battalion RIR at this time. I wonder if our man was attached to 3Bn....??

Officer causalties are often mentioned by name in the war diaries. Does anyone have access to them - or have the official Regimental History....??

I reckon our man will also be mentioned in De Ruvignys Roll of Honour - Museumtom, where are you??

Christine/RTpots

The CWGC database is working correctly (although there is an error on one entry which may have confused you).

I searched on Name = ANDERSON, Initials = P M and War = WW1.

This produced six results - five of which were correct as follows.

1) Two P.M.Andersons

2) Three African names beginning with Anderson but no initials. When you search with initials, the database selects both those with the matching name and initials and those with the matching name but NO initials (usually African or Asian names). This is just how the system is built.

3) One incorrect name - W.Anderson. This has appeared because someone has forgotten to enter his initial and therefore it is selected as per (2) above. I have already had this corrected. At least the quirk of the 'no initial' selection allows these occassional errors to be spotted.

Christine - I couldn't replicate your result.

Pete

No. Just did it again and you get the result I described above. Six names including our man.

What are you doing differently?

Just put in name, initials, war - nothing else. No dots between initials - just a space.

I'm not using dots or spaces between the intials NEITHER am I using war:

ANDERSON

PM

Unknown

Unknown

Unknown

Unknown

1 ANDERSON Private 1383 26/11/1918 Gold Coast Regiment, W.A.F.F. United Kingdom CM64. DURBAN (STELLAWOOD) CEMETERY

2 ANDERSON, WILLIAM Air Mechanic 2nd Class 309125 12/11/1918 38 Royal Air Force United Kingdom 7th Terrace slope. I. LERWICK NEW CEMETERY

3 ANDERSON GEORGE Private M/2522 04/08/1945 East African Army Medical Corps United Kingdom 4 O. 3 NAIROBI WAR CEMETERY

4 ANDERSON JULIUS Private 7372 04/05/1917 Unknown South African Native Labour Corps South African I. A. 20. ARQUES-LA-BATAILLE BRITISH CEMETERY

5 ANDERSON KALOWA Private NR/18237 27/02/1944 Unknown Northern Rhodesia Regiment United Kingdom LUSAKA MEMORIAL

6 ANDERSON MANYOWA Private DN/15224 16/12/1943 Unknown King's African Rifles United Kingdom 4. H. 8. NAIROBI WAR CEMETERY

7 ANDERSON MIBENJI Private NR/21883 03/01/1943 Unknown Northern Rhodesia Regiment United Kingdom LUSAKA MEMORIAL

8 ANDERSON MITIYA Private DN/9052 27/11/1941 Unknown King's African Rifles United Kingdom Column 41. EAST AFRICA MEMORIAL

9 ANDERSON MUCHI PICHI Private NRA/15348 22/07/1945 Unknown Northern Rhodesia Regiment United Kingdom 4. C. 4. RANGOON WAR CEMETERY

10 ANDERSON OKIENO Gunner NA/110236 12/11/1944 Unknown West African Artillery, R.W.A.F.F. United Kingdom Face 104. RANGOON MEMORIAL

11 ANDERSON SOKA Private 9892 21/02/1917 Unknown South African Native Labour Corps South African HOLLYBROOK MEMORIAL, SOUTHAMPTON

12 ANDERSON TAILOR Private DN/20851 22/06/1944 Unknown East African Army Service Corps United Kingdom 4. J. 21. NAIROBI WAR CEMETERY

I've just realised the KEY ELEMENT; the space between the initials - do this and you get 16 results (including our man):

1 ANDERSON Private 1383 26/11/1918 Gold Coast Regiment, W.A.F.F. United Kingdom CM64. DURBAN (STELLAWOOD) CEMETERY

2 ANDERSON, WILLIAM Air Mechanic 2nd Class 309125 12/11/1918 38 Royal Air Force United Kingdom 7th Terrace slope. I. LERWICK NEW CEMETERY

3 ANDERSON, PERCY MICHAEL Private 1205 20/07/1916 25 Australian Infantry, A.I.F Australian 4. V.C. CORNER AUSTRALIAN CEMETERY MEMORIAL, FROMELLES

4 ANDERSON, PETER MURRAY Flight Lieutenant (Pilot) J/16379 11/04/1945 24 Royal Canadian Air Force Canadian X. 21. 5. BRUSSELS TOWN CEMETERY

5 ANDERSON, PETER MCLELLAN Gunner 42650 20/12/1944 42 Royal Canadian Artillery Canadian 56. A. 7. BROOKWOOD MILITARY CEMETERY

6 ANDERSON, PHILIP MAURICE RAMSEY Second Lieutenant 24/02/1915 26 Royal Irish Regiment United Kingdom F. 10. BAILLEUL COMMUNAL CEMETERY (NORD)

7 ANDERSON GEORGE Private M/2522 04/08/1945 East African Army Medical Corps United Kingdom 4 O. 3 NAIROBI WAR CEMETERY

8 ANDERSON JULIUS Private 7372 04/05/1917 Unknown South African Native Labour Corps South African I. A. 20. ARQUES-LA-BATAILLE BRITISH CEMETERY

9 ANDERSON KALOWA Private NR/18237 27/02/1944 Unknown Northern Rhodesia Regiment United Kingdom LUSAKA MEMORIAL

10 ANDERSON MANYOWA Private DN/15224 16/12/1943 Unknown King's African Rifles United Kingdom 4. H. 8. NAIROBI WAR CEMETERY

11 ANDERSON MIBENJI Private NR/21883 03/01/1943 Unknown Northern Rhodesia Regiment United Kingdom LUSAKA MEMORIAL

12 ANDERSON MITIYA Private DN/9052 27/11/1941 Unknown King's African Rifles United Kingdom Column 41. EAST AFRICA MEMORIAL

13 ANDERSON MUCHI PICHI Private NRA/15348 22/07/1945 Unknown Northern Rhodesia Regiment United Kingdom 4. C. 4. RANGOON WAR CEMETERY

14 ANDERSON OKIENO Gunner NA/110236 12/11/1944 Unknown West African Artillery, R.W.A.F.F. United Kingdom Face 104. RANGOON MEMORIAL

15 ANDERSON SOKA Private 9892 21/02/1917 Unknown South African Native Labour Corps South African HOLLYBROOK MEMORIAL, SOUTHAMPTON

16 ANDERSON TAILOR Private DN/20851 22/06/1944 Unknown East African Army Service Corps United Kingdom 4. J. 21. NAIROBI WAR CEMETERY

You got it!

There had to be a difference somewhere. As you see, your previous 'pm' attempt only produced African names with no initials except for the one error I mentioned above.

Using the 'War' filter as I said above, you would have reduced the list to six including our man.

I did it again

"Here are the results of your enquiry. There are 2 records which match your search criteria.

1 ANDERSON JULIUS Private 7372 04/05/1917 Unknown South African Native Labour Corps South African I. A. 20. ARQUES-LA-BATAILLE BRITISH CEMETERY

2 ANDERSON SOKA Private 9892 21/02/1917 Unknown South African Native Labour Corps South African HOLLYBROOK MEMORIAL, SOUTHAMPTON "

ANDERSON

P M

First WW

-

-

-

-

Just tried again and now I can't get only 2. I get 6 instead, including William!

Christine

Solved it.

You were indeed just entering Name+Initials+War. However, you must have been enetering ANDERSON(space). This produces just the two African names because they have a 'space' between the two parts of their name!

Mark - 'e' on CWGC & 'a' on Officers Died...

2Lt Philip Maurice Ramsay Anderson, RIR

Eldest son of R A Anderson, Irish Agricultural Organization Society

Before war held an important post on a great estate in Argenina

Came home immediately and joined King Edward's Horse

Received commission in the Royal Irish Regiment

Severely wounded in action on 14 February 1915 and died in the base hospital in France on 24 February 1915.

His younger brother, 2nd Lieut. Alan James Ramsay Anderson, RIR was killed in action at Le Pelly, near Lille in October 1914

Sources: Our Heroes, Mons to the Somme, August 1914-July 1916; Activities of the British Community in Argentina during the Great War, 1914-1919.

Regards. Dick Flory

A photo of him from the first source:

post-1-1077669345.jpg

A second photo of Anderson from the second listed source. Regards. Dick Flory

post-1-1077669542.jpg