Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st & 2nd Bradford Pals

cartoss

According to my research both these Bns were broken up in Early 1918, providing drafts to other units. Their Kings colours are hung in Bradford Catherdral. Does any one have the date of the parade when they colours were handed into the care of the catherderal?

Thanks

Cartoss

There is probably an account, and maybe a pic, of this event in local Bradford newspaper archives. Might be a bit of a search though !

Sotonmate

Cartoss

http://www.bradford.gov.uk/information_and...cal_studies.htm

Heres the local history contact details..theres nothing in Ralph Hudsons history just mention they are hung in the Cathedral but there wasnt even a memorial in the City to them until 1979!!

Theres probably something in the local paper they are all on Fiche at the library.

16th(1st) went to 3rd Entrenching Batt on Feb 15th 1918

18th(2nd) went to other WYR Batts same date.

Ady

I'm not sure where I have stacked my copy of the more recent book on the Bradford Pals but I don't recall a mention of the laying up of the colours.

I can tell you about the colours of another Bradford unit - the 2/6 West Yorkshires whose colour was laid up in Bradford Cathedral on Sunday May 14th 1922. The colour was taken after a special parade at Belle View Barracks, and the 6th battalion paraded under the command of Lieut.-Colonel H Lyon Anderton before a large contingent of former members of the 2/6th. There are 6 photographs of this service in E C Gregory's book on the 2/6th, all reproduced with permission from the Yorkshire Observer.

I have a copy of this and can scan the images if you would like to see them, but I suspect there are also full reports in the local papers. I hope to be in the Bradford reference library on Saturday on a rare visit to my home town, and if time permits will see if I can find anything on the colours of the Pals units.

Keith

David Raws book just states there were a few parades etc in 1919 but nothing about the Colours except they are laid up in the cathedral same as the other publication.

Ady

Didnt find anything in the 1918 Bradford Argus today so may be mentioned later...Big article about 1st 6th WYR Colours though.

Ady

Hi,

If anyone has easy access to the cathedral, they should pop in and take a look. There is a brass plaque mounted under where the colours hang which I am sure has the date of laying up on it. Failing that, go in and ask a member of the voluntary staff. I was there a few years ago and the chap I spoke to about the VC memorials there was very helpful and very well informed. Photography is welcomed there too.

Cheers,

Nigel

Ady

I shall be in the Bradford reference Library on Saturday on a brief visit to my home town. Can you recall the date of the article on the colours of the 1st 6th? I would be very much interested to view that in between my other researches.

Keith

It was either on Roll 65 or 66 of Bradford Argus and you are looking for April 1918 its on the Front page of the fiche right hand Column mentions Bradford Parish Church.

Sorry cannot remember exact date i did Jan-july 1918 on Wednesday morning :blink: eyes still recovering!!

Ady