Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Battle of Troitsa

Pat Twomey

Remembering today my grandfather Pte Edward Gallagher and all the other casualties who died on August 10 1919 at the 'Battle of Troitsa' on the Dvina river North Russia.

Pat

Pat

If you haven't already read it, I recommend Maj Gen Clifford Kinvig's Churchill's Crusade, ISBN 978 84725 021 6, as an excellent history of the British intervention in the Russian Civil War.

For a closer focus on events on the Dvina, Peter Quinlivian's Forgotten Valour, ISBN 1 74110 486 6, the story of Cpl Arthur Sullivan VC, is very good.

Regards

Gareth

Pat

If you haven't already read it, I recommend Maj Gen Clifford Kinvig's Churchill's Crusade, ISBN 978 84725 021 6, as an excellent history of the British intervention in the Russian Civil War.

For a closer focus on events on the Dvina, Peter Quinlivian's Forgotten Valour, ISBN 1 74110 486 6, the story of Cpl Arthur Sullivan VC, is very good.

Regards

Gareth

Thanks Gareth I have read Kinvig's book and as you say it is an excellent account of the intervention - I will try and get the Quinliven book as he belonged to the same battalion (45th) as my grandfather and won the VC during the battle in which my grandfather lost his life.

Btw if you have read Forgotton Valour could you tell me if it deals much with the enlistment process concerning the Royal Fusiliers?

Again Thanks for the info.

Pat

Pat, I don't know if you know but your grandfather is listed on the Roll of Honour in Singleton-Gates book 'Bolos & Barishynas, The North Dvina 1919'. I have the Naval & Military Press paperback edition, ISBN 1-845741-26-9. Pp. 80-128 also gives an account of the action.

He's recorded as G/129220 Pte. E. (Edward) Gallagher. A search revealed he was k.i.a. 10/8/1919. (Previously 12965 S. Lancs. Regt.). 45th Bn. lost at least 25 men that day whilst on the other side of the river 46th Bd. lost about 8.

Keith

Thanks Keith,

I also have the Naval & Military edition of 'Bolos and Barishynas' it's a good read and gives a good insight into the conditions experienced by the Royal Fusiliers.

Appreciate your help.

Pat