Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RASC 1914-1918

Guest Ragnantone

Guest Ragnantone

Hello again

Well after much success gaining such great information about my Great Uncle, I have now moved on to my Grandfather Walter Frederick Dyer.

He was one of the lucky ones and survived the whole of the 1st World War, and I am lucky to have all his discharge and character certificate.

Was just interested again, to know what part his regiment played in the war. I know my father would have loved to have know, but sadly he died November.

His Father was a wonderful man but suffered after the war from dreadful nerves and dreams like so many....He died Aged 50 in 1943. He didnt talk much about his experiences but was under the impression he was involved with horses.

Thank you so much

Ragna Brent

Hi,

T prefix indicates transport section Army Service Corps, so working with horses would make sense. The Army Service Corps was a very large corps - do you have a company number for him? This will allow us to ID where his unit was and at what stage during the war (with a bit of luck as well).

Note that the Royal prefix was not awarded to the Corps until after the Great War.

Rgds,

Alex

Guest Ragnantone

Firstly thank you for replying so fast. You guys are just brilliant.

Ok, well the only information I have is from Three pieces of paper. One is a Character Reference, One is transfer to reserve and the last one is his final Discharge. Ill tell you what extra I can find on each one below, as I can see no company, but perhaps something I can tell you will give you a clue.

CHARACTER REFERENCE.

Unit and regiment. ROYAL ARMY SERVICE CORPS.

Date of Discharge 6.6.1921 Place. Woolwich

CERTIFICATE OF TRANSFER TO RESERVE

Unit and regiment. (in tiny letters Section B.) RASC

Place of rejoining. Blackheath

Was signed by.....Captain for Colonel 1 / c (i think) RASC

DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE

Medals. 1914 Star

British War & Victory Medals

Place Deptford

Many thanks again

Ragna Brent

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Ragna,

A comprehensive book on the ASC is 'Army Service Corps 1903-1918' by Michael Young.

The ASC is a difficult unit to research as the medal rolls show no unit except in the case of the 1914 star, so you should be lucky to at least find the unit your grandfather served with when first overseas. This will be shown on the medal index card & respective roll.

Good luck - Ian

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Good grief!

OK next time I am at the PRO, I would be happy to look-up your grandfather's medal index card, which should get you started.

All the best - Ian