Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt W WARREN - 28th London Regiment

Paul Johnson

Walter WARREN

Sergeant

28th Battalion. London Regiment (Artists Rifles)

Killed In Action on the 27th November 1914 aged 37

Walter was the son of Henry & Clara Warren of Rockleaze, Stevenage. He was posted to Belgium on the 26th October 1914 and killed a month later by Shellfire whilst digging trenches by the Brewery Inn in Neuve Eglise. He is buried in the Neuve Eglise Cemetery, Belgium. (N.2.)

Can anyone tell me anything about the Brewery Inn or what the Battalion were doing at this early stage of the war?

Thank You.

PAUL JOHNSON :ph34r:

They were Lines of Communication troops operating between Bailleul and the Neuve Eglise area; they were not in the front line at this time and believe this man was killed by shell fire. I am pretty sure he was amongst the first fatal casualties, if not the first, and again am pretty sure some friends of mine who collect to this unit have his medals.

What is your interest in him?

Paul,

His name is recorded on the Stevenage war memorial. I have read the unit war diary but this did not provide much detail. I thought the there may be an "Artists Rifles" expert who could give me a little more detail about what the unit was doing at the time, and possibly expand on the info I have.

Is it possible that he was one of the first casualties? By that, do you mean within the battalion or did you mean one of the first WW1 Casualties?

Thanks for your help.

I meant in the unit; my friends are pretty expert on the 28th Londons, but they have only limited access to the net. I will print off and send this post to them.

Thanks Paul, I appreciate your help. It would be really nice if I could establish that he was one of the units first casualties.

Regards