Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone tell me what part the 10th Royal Fusiliers played on 1st day of Somme.They were part of Third Army,37th Div,111th Brigade.Think they were attached to 34th div,on 6th July,but not sure where they were on 1st july,
Was it Gommecourt?

I'm not an expert on 1/7/16 but, as far as I know, 10th Royal Fusiliers didn't play any direct part on that day.

2nd and 11th were engaged with 29th and 18th Divisions, respectively.

111th Brigade was not active and 34th Division consisted of Royal Scots, Lincolns, Suffolks and Northumberland Fusiliers (Tyneside Scotish and Irish, and pioneers).

All 37th Division battalions were in reserve on 1st July.

Kind Regards,

SMJ

Thanks Simon

They were in reserve,have got it now.You wouldn't happen to know when they 1st went into action,on Somme would you?

They were certainly engaged on 15th July (up Sausage Valley towards Pozieres - severe casualties) but they may have been involved on 3rd July at La Boiselle. One of the First Somme Brigade will know for sure.

Kind Regards,

SMJ

Hello skipman

The Tyneside Scottish and Irish suffered very heavy casualties on 1 July and 34th Div "borrowed" two brigades, 111th and 112th, from 37th Div.

On 1 July 10/RF were in the Arras sector but reached Bresle on 6 July, and were in the front line near La Boisselle on 8th, Sausage Valley on 9th. They then advanced to the Contalmaison Road to take part in the attack on Pozieres on 15th.

Source: Ray Westlake, British Battalions on the Somme.

Ron