Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

List of Relatives who served 1914-1918

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Hi there,

My GGUncle, John Frederick Bell, also served in the 11th Bn of the Rifle Brigade (Prince Consorts Own), (service no s/17889). He died of wounds on 28th March 1918.

Regards

Lisa

• 5 months later...

I have just joined this site and find in very interesting

My Grandfather EDWARD RUNDLE served with the 1st/8th BATTALION DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY, but unfortunately was killed on 26th April 1915. He is remembered on Panel 36 & 38 of the MENIN GATE MEMORIAL.

Dot

Here's my family's small contribution:

Thonas BUSBY (Reginald Tom by birth) Pvt, 6726, 1st Batt North Staffords then 2/5 N Staffs

Edgar P BUSBY Pvt, 88605, 2nd/7th Kings (Liverpool) Regt died 11/09/1918

My dad thinks the elder brother in the family, George Busby, may have been in either the North or South Staffs as well. There is a George Busby MM listed for the N Staffs as Pvt 3552, unfortunately my Grandfather never spoke about the War and memories have faded. If anyone has info about any Busby's in the Staffs Regts I would be intetrested to hear from them.

Alan Busby, Staffordshire.

Great Grandfather Private John Owens 7021

1st Battalion East Lancashire Regt.

Died 13th May 1915

Remembered on the Menin Gate Memorial.

Great Grandfather Gunner John Hogan 112913

Royal Garrison Artillery, 299th Siege Bty.

Died 24 June 1917

Buried at Ferme-Olivier Cemetery, Belgium.

My great grandad John Walter Frederick Harry Edney, or simply Jack as he was known to his friends! 4240, 12th Battalion Royal Fusiliers, later 5th Battalion, perhaps after being wounded? My grandad thinks he was gassed but I'm not sure, he hardly ever talked about the war.

He started the war as a Private, enlisting September 1914 at the Hounslow barracks, shipped over to France on 6th October 1915, ended the war as a Sergeant.

By the way, this is my first post and I'd like to say that this forum has been extremely useful to me. It's nice to find people who care as much about this period in history as I do.

Now that this thread has been brought to the front I, and probably many other newer members, are seeing it for the first time. There must be a wealth of detail in the eleven pages that is now not serving its original purpose.

Is it possible for all these family/regimental references to be put into some sort of searchable table either under surname or regiment or both? Some system that could be easily added to as and when by members.

John :unsure:

My great uncle Private EDWARD POLLARD 27711 who died of wounds 16 May 1918 was in the Royal Fusiliers and is buried in Etaples Cemetery.

• 2 weeks later...

My Great Grandfather.

Private Edward Caffrey.

King's Liverpool Regiment 1st Bn. Reg# 9413

Enlisted Warrington.

Disembarked in France, 16th March 1915.

Joined up with his battalion on the 20th March 1915 at Bethune.

Died of Wounds 6th June1915

Buried St. Cever Cemetery, Rouen, France.

My maternal Grandfather, Michael Connors, 2nd Battalion Connaught Rangers, served in France/Belguim

Maternal G. Grandfather John Connors (don’t know which regiment sadly) M. P. served in Palestine (also served in Boar War)

Paternal G. Grandfather Peter Bull, 2/13 London Rifles served in Egypt

Great idea.

Pte. Michael Molloy, 26185, 2nd Batallion, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

Michael Molloy was my (maternal) grandfather`s brother, born in 1899, King`s County (now County Offaly). Ireland. Enlisted October 1915 aged 16 in RI Regiment. K.i.a France, 3/4/1917 and buried Cayeux Military Cemetery, 1. A. 14.

From my family tree, (As per my signature):

My Grandfather, Gunner Robert Munson, 821275 killed in action on the 6th July 1917 near Templeux-le-Guerard while serving with 'V' 59th T. M. Battery, Royal Field Artillery, Age 27.

Also Private Richard Munson, 927 'D' Company, 10th Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment, (Grimsby Chums), killed in action on the first day of the Battle of the Somme, Saturday 1st July 1916, Age 22.

Private George W. Dadd 12572, 8th Bn., Lincolnshire Regiment, killed in action on Saturday, 23rd September 1916. Buried at Lievin Communal Extension, Pas de Calais, France, age 27.

Cheers: Terry

I have a few ;

James Fraser L/Cpl 10071 MM

Royal Irish Fusiliers 1st Btn B Coy

KIA 11/4/1917 during attack on Chemical works Rouen

Athies communal cemetry extension

Archibald Fraser Pte 1644

Black Watch 4th Btn

KIA 25/9/1915

Loos Memorial

Alexander Fraser Pte 8816

Royal Scots 2nd Btn

KIA 20/9/1914

La Ferte - Sous - Jouarre Memorial

Charles Fraser Spr 262266

Royal Engineers

George Munro Driver T-34302

A.S.C.

The first 3 are my great uncles, the 4th is my Great Grandfather, and 5th is my Grandfather.

I have only recently started to research these guys and I am finding it a very humbling experience.

How I wish I'd asked more questions when my Grandfather was still alive.

I have only recently started to research these guys and I am finding it a very humbling experience.

How I wish I'd asked more questions when my Grandfather was still alive.

Blackwatch - these are exactly my feelings.

Great Uncle

Private Ivatt Wright (10442)

11th Bt. Northumberland Fusiliers

Died during the Battle of the Menin Road

20th Sept 1917

My granduncle -

Private James Jenkins, No. 2668, 8th Bn Kings Liverpool (Irish) Regiment.

born - 7 Pleasant Hill Street, Toxteth Park, Liverpool - 25th November, 1887

died from wounds 8th August, 1916 - buried Corbie Communal Cemetery Extension

3 sons: James Thomas Jenkins (b. June 1909)

Joseph Jenkins (b. Dec 1911)

George Jenkins (b. May 1914)

married to Ellen Elizabeth Jenkins (who later changed her name in marriage to Lawlor)

enlisted 10.10.1914 - address 50 C Northumberland Street Buildings, Toxteth Park.

If anyone knows any of the descendants of James, Joseph or George, please get in touch.

Patricia.

"My blood is your blood Jimmy, your blood that stained the fields

between the Ancre and the Somme, in August, nineteen-sixteen

and I feel I know you Jimmy, though you lie beneath a stone

on a battlefield in north-east France, far from Liverpool and home"

Guest mary kellam

My Grandfather Pte Peter McCann 1st Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers 10129 wounded and missing on 16 June 1915. Have two letters written "from the field" replying to my Grandmother's letters advising this. Commemorated on the Menin Gate.

Was married to Harriet, father of six, Albert, Annie, Mary (Ethel), Agnes, John and Archie. Children were sent to Chase Farm School/Home as a result of his death. I am Mary (Ethel's) daughter.

Lived 21 Rays Avenue, Edmonton, had been a regular solidier. Came from Scotland or Chester-le-Street we believe had many brothers and possibly one/two sisters.

I would love to find out any information regarding my Grandfather, where he was when wounded - in what battle or engagement - in fact anything at all.

I would love to find out any information regarding my Grandfather, where he was when wounded - in what battle or engagement - in fact anything at all.

Some advice form a complete amateur at the same task. I had to read a few books to find out the difference between company and corps!

First use this forum - terrific help

Next try to find the name of his battalion, regiment or company- it may be on the letters or try the National Archives site on the web for his Medal Index Card ( commonly called MIC). That will show his Regiment and or Batallion

Then when you get the regmt or other put another more specific notice on the "Soldiers" or "Units and Formations" thread on the site and it would be very surprising if you dont find an expert. Also trawl back through the postings and you may find someone or something that will help.

Regards and good luck.

Brendan

Mary,

Apologies you already have the start up info.

BC

My Great Grandfather Enoch McNally, KIA 5 July 1916 at La Boisselle. He served with the 7th Bn of South Lancs Regiment. He is remembered on Thiepval memorial.

2253 Cpl Frederick Louis Kilkenny, 1/8th (Leeds Rifles) Bn, The West Yorkshire Regiment. My granddad.

72364 Spr Andrew Cyril Kilkenny, Royal Engineers, Base Signals Depot, Egyptian Expeditionary Force. Died in Alexandria, 22:11:1918. My Great Uncle.

Group Captain John Callistus Kilkenny OBE RAF. Chief Instructor, No 1 Parachute Training School, RAF Ringway and subsequently Chief Physical Training Instructor, Royal Air Force in a career from 1939 - 1958. My Great Uncle.

Of the three Kilkenny brothers I only met Uncle John a very few times, but he was fascinating.

On parachuting "Your first jump will always be your best. After that you know what to expect."

He went on to jump thousands of times. Once he succeeded in knocking himself unconscious on the jump hole rim and only came round a couple of hundred feet from the ground.

I'm quite certain the other two would have been equally fascinating. As with many surviving veterans though, my granddad hardly ever spoke about his war and certainy never in front of the children or his wife. His own father was a Boer war veteran, and he didn't speak to him about the war either, favouring instead, my granddad's mother in law. Strange where people find an outlet isn't it?

Nigel

My Grandfather's both served

Henry Edward Leonard (1899-1976 b.Bermondsey)

Private 13th East Surreys (1915-16) and no. 21011 Private RMLI - 1917-20 HMS Champion

Joseph Sturmer (1898-1976 b.Brixton)

Rifleman no. 304648 2/5th Londons (1915-8) and 1/28th Artists (1918-9)

Regards

Peter Leonard

Mine are all listed below in my signature, so I won't write their details in again.

They are my Great grandfather and his four brothers (great uncle's) The Munn brothers for Scotland.

My great great grandfather's nephew.

My great great uncle. (survived)

My great grandfather (survived)

My great great uncle.

Pettsy

My Great Uncle

240255 L/Cpl Robert A M'Kenzie enlisted into the 5th Seaforth as number 901 (Territorial soldiers were renumbered to a 6-digit system in early 17) at Glasgow in Sept 14 and went out to France on 1 May 15 with the rest of the battalion. Awarded the MM 13th Nov 1916, Beaumont Hamel, died of wounds April 1917.

I've another Great Uncle George Shewan, Gordon Highlanders, died of wounds January 1918.

Andy

Two Great Uncles:

112 Trooper Oscar Donald Humfray HASSELL 10th Light Horse Regiment AIF Killed in Action 7th August 1915 at The Nek Gallipoli. Age 24

1083 Private Ashley Roy GRIST 5th Battalion AIF Landed at Anzac 25 April 1915 Died of Illness 30th March 1916. Age 26

My Grandfather served with the Welsh Regiment and from 1917 with the South Wales Borderers.

My Great Grandfather served with the Royal Engineers 179th. Tunnelling Coy. Killed 19/12/1915.