Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

List of Relatives who served 1914-1918

Guest Ian Bowbrick

My relatives are

Pte 29119 Arthur Jones 8th Batt East Lancs Reg, Arthur Jones Killed in Action on April

28th 1917 Arras.

Rifleman R/8408 Gordon Whittaker 8th Bn. King's Royal Rifle Corps Gordon Whittaker Killed in Action 30 July 1915.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest angelicauk

Hi

My great grandfather was Serjeant Ernest Frederick Douglas (service no S/13161) who served in the 11th Bn of the Rifle Brigade (Prince Consorts Own).

He died in the France and Flanders battle on 15 June 1916.

Regards

Victoria

• 2 weeks later...
Guest annieoakleigh

Hello I am new to this wonderful site and I would like to add that my step grandfather served in the 1914-1918 war. All I know is he was in the Kings Liverpool Regiment 10863. He was Pte J.L.Adams. Then he was in the Afghan war 1919 in the same regiment, as acting sergeant, but I think transferred to Regiment 2757646 as acting sergeant.

He immigrated to Australia after the war, and I am trying to find out anything I can about him. My father was given his medals by him, and still has his medals to this day, in their original box, and we are trying to find my step grandfathers living relatives, maybe in the UK or Australia.

Has anyone any Ideas where I might start? I cant go to the National Archives in the UK to get his records, and as far as I know they still have a couple of medals at the War Medal Office in the Uk as well.

If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks

annieoakleigh.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

My Great Grandfather (S/4444) Cpl. John Snape MM 13th Bn. Rifle Brigade (survived)

Great Uncle (57107) Pte. Charles Marriott Wood 1st/8th Lancashire Fusiliers KIA 23 October 1918 at Romeries.

Just looking through this thread - wondering whether there is any way when we put names in our signatures that the information could then "link" these names if other members have similar names in their signatures.

This may sound simple enough, but may be a very difficult thing to achieve.

Am also wondering how all this information could be catalogued? Massive undertaking...........

Maybe I am being "simple" or too complicated?

Just a thought (probably best if I stop having them now!).

My Great Grandfather - Ernest Frank Palot - 200030 - served with the 4th Essex and served in Gallipoli, Egypt and Gaza. His brothers in law Bill and Arthur Skingley also served during the great war, both in the 5th Essex - Bill (WS Skingley 250892) was Killed in Egypt on 4/11/1917 from wounds received in action. His name is recorded on the memorial at Highwood in Essex.

Also my great great uncle - Alfred Page - 12/4747 served in the 12 Lancers and was present at Le Cateau. I am still researching him so will update when i have further detail.

My maternal Grandfather John Rodger, 8th Black Watch . DOW in captivity 8/11/1915.

Buried in Phalempin Communal Cemetery south of Lille.

Paternal Grandfather, Charles Rutherford, 2nd ILC Seaforth Highlanders and 13 Company Labour Corps. Wounded 1918. Died 1922 from wound related illness.

My Great Uncle George Smith of whom I only know he served in Gallipoli and was gassed twice on the Western Front. George survived well into his eighties. ( Anyone fancy a challenge? :rolleyes: )

Hello, new to this site, but what a huge source of information - superb.

I'd like to add my My Gt. Grandfather, Private Joseph Eakins, of the 7th Batallion Royal Irish Rifles, Presumed Dead 6th September 1916 Somme. His service no. was 5/5575 and I found his medal card recently, and it states he qualified on 5/12/14. His medal was "15 Star" but I can't make out any other details so will have to post in the Medal Index site.

Grandfather

Pte.48386 8th. northumberland fusililiers.

killed in action 27th.sept.1918.

battalion engaged in an offensive against the hindenburgh line at the canal du nord

Hi all, here are my relations;

My maternal grandfather, Sgt. Samuel Harvey MM 1/6 Btn. Royal Warwicks Regt. Survived.

My great uncle, Pte. William Mallard 1st Btn South Staffs Regt. kia November 7th 1914 near Zillebeke. Commemorated on the Menin Gate.

Also Pte. Frank Edkins 9th Btn. Royal Warwicks Regt. died January 27th 1917 buried Amara War Cemetery Iraq.

• 3 weeks later...

I had eight relatives and would appreciate information on any of them.

My grandfathers:

Major Adrian Wrigley Fosbroke-Hobbes M.C. 3rd King's Own Hussars

Lieutenant-Colonel Edmund Gray Stuart Truell 88th Connaught Rangers

6 great-uncles:

Lieutenant Stanley Edwards, North Staffordshire Rgmt KIA 1916

Reverend AJ Fosbroke-Hobbes, Royal Army Chaplain's Division

The Army List 1918 'Army Chaplains' Department sec 1792 has Hobbes, Rev. A.J.F. date of appointment 15.Jan. 1917. He served as a Temporary Chaplain to the Forces 4th Class, Church of England.

Pals,

My paternal grand-uncle Thomas Lecane served in the Royal Navy and fought at Jutland. He survived the war. My maternal grand-uncle Timothy O'Brien served as a Lewis gunner in the Leinster Regiment and returned home deaf.

I discovered both men while tracing my family tree. They were the initial cause of my interest in World War 1 in general and Irish service in the war in particular. Therefore it is ironic that I have no information on either man apart from the three sentences at the start of this post.

Regards,

Philip

My paternal grandfather, Private George Frederick Beard.

Enlisted September 1914 with the East Surrey Regiment, transferred to the 8th Battalion of the Buffs, June 1916. Died of a 'broken blood vessel' 02/08/17.

No known grave, named on the Menin Gate at Ypres.

I have the cutting from the local paper reporting his death.

welcome to the forum 'c. beard'

always room for another beard on the forum :)

enoch beard

my great great uncles

frank bedhall

worcestershire regiment 11th bn

died in salonika 1917

david coley

1st/6th bn south staffordshire regiment

died in france 1918

enoch coley

7th bn east yorkshire regiment

died in france 1918

ernest butterfield

1st bn east lancashire regiment

died in belgium 1917

Guest anubisss56

My Grandfather,

Ernest Young

2124; 3rd Dragoon Guards; 1908 - 1920.

Gassed on The Somme; after recuperation,

transferred to Mounted Military Police, P/4055, (22nd September 1916)

Hi my contribution so far

Grandfather 6360 PTE Frederick W Phillips Rifle Brigade. Gassed at ?? Survived the war but not the peace.

Grandfather PO19615 William G Edwards Royal Marines. Survived both wars.

Great Uncle 28131 PTE Arthur A Phillips 8Bn East Surrey Regiment, ex 8571 Royal Sussex Regiment, died of

wounds 29/11/1916 buried at Etretat (currently researching)

Dave

My Grand father Sergeant Charles Carrigan B/ 7137 Highland Light infantry France returned home after being wounded.

His Younger Brother Pte Hugh Carrigan Aged 20 years B/ 7217 2nd Bat Camerions Scottish Rifles KIA 18 July 1916 France Buried Cambrin Churchyard Extension Pas De Calais.

Both came from Glasgow Scotland.

Bob

Edited by Hudggy

My Great Grandfather,

Joseph Robinson Haslock, 99662, Driver, RFA. DOW 16/7/16 while serving with 36th Div Ammunition Column.

My Great Uncle,

Edgar Dinsdale, 10th Yorkshire Regiment, North Staffs, Survived. Died 1930s as a result of service.

My Great Grandfather & his brother:

HOLLIST Anthony May Capron Capt. 8th East Kent (Buffs) KIA 26/9/15

HOLLIST Gerald Wetherall Capron Capt. RAMC

Great Uncles

L/1474 Private Patrick Emerson 5th (Royal Irish) Lancers 1908 - 1919

John Emerson Royal Irish Rifles

• 3 weeks later...

Richard L SLACK, 15th Coy, Machine Gun Corps, Private, Reg no 16782, KIA 25-9-16

Herbert NORWELL, Royal Fusiliers, 2/Lt, KIA 12-4-18

Bert NORWELL, RGA, Private, Reg no 241473, Killed in Training, 18-11-17

Hugh NORWELL, Royal Engineers, Sapper, Reg no 563236, Survived

Alfred E NORWELL, West Yorkshire Reg, Private, Reg no 3600, Survived

Edward H THOMPSON, Seaforth Highlanders, L/Corporal, Reg no S/10089

& Royal Fusiliers, Corporal, Reg no 101429

& Labour Corps, Corporal, Reg no 479581

Unknown if died or survived, no record of death, but never returned home

MY GRANDFATHER:

SMYTH, GEORGE

ROYAL IRISH RIFLES 1ST BN.

SERVICE NO. 9001

D.O.W. 30/12/1914

BURIED: ROYAL IRISH RIFLES GRAVEYARD LAVENTIE FRANCE.

JOAN

Excellent idea Ian but who's goint to catalogue them all???

Here goes;

Great Grandfather (Dad's side)

Gunner Charles Edward De'Ath MM, 31493 110th Seige/Heavy Btty RGA survived to serve in "Dads Army" Clapton, London.

Great Uncles (Dad's side)

Stoker 1st Class William Sambles RN, K/18048 HMS Seagull, KIA 30/9/1918 age 30 from Treddinick, Cornwall.

Great Uncle (Mum's side)

Pte Charles William Hawthorn 3/3222, 1/6th York & Lancs, KIA Gallipoli 7/8/1915 age 38 from Castleford, West Yorshire.

Uncles Father (Aunts Husband)

Sgt Harry Waddington, 1/5th West Yorkshires survived the war even despite the Kaisers best attempts to shoot, gas and cover him with shrapnel, wound stripes galore, died in the late 1960's.

Great Uncles (Step Dad's side)

Sgt Charles Courtney Appleyard MM 3751, 23rd Bttn AIF, KIA 15/11/1916 age 35 Alberton, Victoria, Australia.

Pte Gordon William Appleyard 865, 9th Bttn AIF, KIA 24/8/1916 Brother of the above.

Trooper Edgar Appleyard 609, 8th Australian Light Horse Died 3/8/1917 Cairo age 30 Cousin to the above.

Ther are more but we haven't found them all yet but will post them when we do.