Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

List of Relatives who served 1914-1918

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I'm proud to add my Great Grandfather:

Thomas Samuel Harrison, L9689, a Driver with the RFA.

He survived the war but sadly died as the result of a road accident in 1927 at the age of 40

Also proud to add my step father's grandfather:

Thomas Roberts, 18295, a Private with the 1st bn. Loyal North Lancashire Regiment.

He died age 35 on 15/07/1916, he left a wife and 4 children. He is remembered at the Thiepval Memorial pier and face 11 A

• 2 months later...

Great thread.

Proud to add

my grandfather James BRECHIN, pvt, 4th Gordon Highlanders

my great uncle George STILL, cpl, 4th Gordon Highlanders

my great grandfather James BOOTH, engineer, RNR

Thanks to all who served.

36224 Pte.John Lavin , 7/Border Regt ,1918-19 (survived)

15558 Sgt. James O'Mara , 11/East Lancs. ,1914-18 (survived)

Just to add the family discoveries since 2003...

4353 Sgt. Joseph Atkinson, RFA 1914-19 (survived) - Gt.Grandad

???? Gnr.Thomas Atkinson, RFA 1914-19 (survived) - his brother

97727 Gnr. Edwin Aubrey Atkinson ,148 Bty RFA 1914-19 (survived) - his other brother

H/34027 Pte Joseph Lenton Woodward , 5th Reserve Cavalry Regiment 1917 (survived) - Gt.Grandad (though how he even managed to get in the army - even for a few months - is a mystery to me... he'd lost half of his hand during a skirmish in South Africa in 1900!!!!)

18925 Pte.William O'Mara, 4/Coldstream Guards & Labour Corps 1916-18 (survived) - Grandad's (and James O'Mara's) older brother

63709 Pte.John O'Mara, 15/South Lancs 1917/18 (survived) - Grandad's other older brother

15605 Pte.John Palmer, 8th (and 9th) King's Own Ryl.Lancasters 1914-19 (survived) - Gt.Uncle in law (and John Lavin's brother in law)

240672 Sgt.Charles Edgar Salmon, 2/5th East Lancs 1915-17 (KIA 9 October 1917) - Grandma's cousin (and my only (tenuous) link to a WW1 casualty (though John Lavin's cousin (also named John Lavin) and several of HIS cousins were killed)

My grandfathers:

Serjeant 3177 Debighshire Yeomanry / Sergeant 345393 Royal Welsh Fusiliers Isaac Waters, served in Egypt. He was in the territorial / yeomanry before the war and volunteered for service overseas.

Rifleman S/11442 Thomas Owen 9th Battalion Rifle Brigade, enlisted October 1914 and was initially posted to Royal Field Artillery, then 5th Battalion Rifle Brigade and then 9th Battalion Rifle Brigade. He was posted to BEF France on 28 July 1915 and wounded on 27 September 1915. I believe this would have been as part of a diversionary attack at the battle of Loos. He returned home for treatment and went back to France in January 1916 but was shot in the leg on 26 March 1916. He returned home and was eventually invalided out of the army due to his wounds.

A distant relative: Private Bentick OWEN 241557 Loyal North Lancs and later 94441 Royal Defence Corps. Went to France with LNL on 3 August 1915 until 18 October 1916 and then 12 June 1917 to 3 June 1918. He suffered gunshot wounds on 26 October 1917 and gas poisoning in May 1918, after which he was transferred to RDC and then pensioned out of the army.

My Grand Father and his brothers, listed oldest to youngest.

K/6439 PO. William Kiddle, HMS D6. KIA off S/W coast of Ireland, 24/06/1918. Age 30 :poppy:

8043 Pvt. George Kiddle, The London Regiment. (Grand Father)

745109 Pvt. Henry Kiddle, 18th Bn CEF. Died of Pneumonia at 30 CCS France, 02/04/1917. Age 22 :poppy:

745108 Pvt. Charles Kiddle, 18th Bn CEF.

I only have the two listed in my signature.

2139 / 966384 Gunner John Cole, 'B' Battery, 303rd Artillery Brigade, 60th (London) Division

27717 Corporal Herbert Beaton MSM, Postal Section, Royal Engineers

Cheers Andy.

• 3 weeks later...

I just realised that I haven't contributed to this thread :blush:

I've got 3 relatives that I know of that served -

Pte Henry George Blatchford, 40730, 6th Bn KOYLI. KIA 22/8/17

Pte Walter Coole, 5203, Glos Reg. DoD 10/1/17

Chief Stoker Alfred Coole, Died at home 28/8/15

So far I haven't found any Turners that served or even died.

• 3 weeks later...

my great uncle 40464 l/corporal William Henry Rhodes 16th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers. Killed in action 10th February 1917. Commemorated on the Thiepval monument.

My great grandfather,Joseph william Reynolds

7th koyli,28048.corporal

injured knee at ypres,feb1916 and sent home into 53rd young soldiers training battalion.

1885-1949

Richard francis Wade,great grandfathers cousin.

7th koyli,20182,private

killed 7th oct 1916,somme,aged 26.

Attacking an enemy held ridge overlooking le Transloy and Beaulencourt.

Thomas vincent Angell,my wifes great grandfather.

53rd RFA(howitzer) driver,9th division.france

129th RFA(howitzer)ammunition column,driver,27th division .salonika.

1894-1932

After the war Thomas returned to work as a coal miner,he was paralysed from the neck down in a tunnel collapse,and died not long after from medical complications,aged 37.

I think I may find more relatives yet,but here in south yorkshire,many of my lot were coal miners and did not serve.

• 1 month later...
Guest Haydn Edwards

My Grandfather -

Private Alfred Bernard Edwards X1533. 2nd Sherwood Foresters.

12 Tucker Sreet, Watford, Herts.

Enlisted Dec 1915 (Luton Beds), Demobilised Sept 1919.

General Service & Victory Medals.

I have his medal record (pdf file) and also an original copy of the National Roll of the Great War Section 5, Luton, if this is of any help to anyone?

Alas I never knew him and would love to find out more about his service record. I am currently reading Clnl H C Wylly's book 'The Sherwood

Foresters in the Great War' but generally only the officers get named.

Any information would be very much appreciated.

Just discovered - a cousin on my paternal grandmother's side: Philip (born Felice) Panarella (later Parnell), a Pioneer with the RE (551330), followed by service with the 22nd London Regiment (2823 and 681121) and finally RE again (WR177801). He seems to have gone right through the War. Delighted to find that a decent set of service records survives, showing that he became a translator after being diagnosed with an eye condition which made him "unfit for service" (I do hope he wasn't a liability!). 18 when he signed up in November 1914. Done for loitering in a cafe when he should have been on duty - but if you send an Italian to Genoa, how could you blame him?! He must have been born in Italy as his records note he was an alien. He finally seems to have been involved with the troop transport trains. Doesn't seem to have been entitled to a Star, but I'll have to have a proper look as I'm working on someone else's research.

• 2 weeks later...

My Grandfather

Joseph J Vallender 8940 RAMC

My Grandfather

Samuel Hicks RN

My Great Uncle

Charles Vallender 8596 RAMC

My Great Uncle

John Vallender 71812 RFA

My Great Uncle

William J Patterson 24480 Yorkshire Regt

Wifes Great Great Uncle

Tom Potter MM 39436 RFA

• 3 weeks later...

Recently discovered relative - a first cousin on my maternal grandfather: M2/223670 Pte. Charles W. Lintott, Army Service Corps.

Hi all,

My great grandad

Thomas Plaskett, 1st Battalion coldstream Guards... Private .... died on 27th November 1917 at the battle of Cambrai.. Buried at Louverval (details found at CWGC thank you..)

My great Uncle

James Plaskett, Royal Engineers, Pioneer... died 1st December 1917 , 4 days after his brother Thomas. Buried at Grevillers British cemetery. (details found at CWGC thank you)

My grandad Samuel J Davies, RFA ... survived..

I'd like to add William Murdock McAuley and George Sipe McAuley to my list. The were the brothers of Elmer McAuley (my avatar) and also served in the U.S. Army. Another brother, David Clark McAuley served in the U.S. Navy aboard the USS Des Moines in 1910, but I haven't confirmed yet if he served during wartime. He received a draft card in Sept. 1918, so it's possible he may have still been in in 1917. These men were all the brothers of my great-great-grandmother.

Proud to introduce my blokes. All Diggers of the the 5th Division AIF

My Grandfather, Sgt Frank Collins 831 D Coy 31 Bn, WIA at Fromelles 19 Jul 16 and Polygon Wood 26 Sep 17. Born Ballarat, Victoria. Died in Melbourne 1950.

My Great-Uncle T/Cpl Herbert Collins 832 D Coy 31 Bn, MSM, MM; gassed 2 Oct 18 at Etricourt. Born Ballarat, Victoria 1897, Died in Melbourne 1975

My Great-Uncle Pte Fred Taylor 14816, 14th Field Ambulance, WIA near east of Ypres 28 Sep 17 Born Melbourne 1883, Died in Melbourne 1962

Also, my great-grandfathers brother, Pellegrino Loro.

I would like to add my two grandfathers to the list:

Arthur Ernest Aldis 9th Queens Royal Lancers (died 1919 from wounds recieved)

Charles Henry Hodder 10th Hussars 9survived the war )

Thanks

Ken

I'd like to add

My wife's great-grandfather, Charles William Daniel -- Company M, 161st U.S. Infantry Regiment

• 2 weeks later...

My great grandfather

16630 Private Richard Hannan 1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers formally of the 2nd Battalion RDF'S . K.I.A 01-07-1916

I have two other relatives but i am still researching them.