Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

List of Relatives who served 1914-1918

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I listed a long list of Hole's in an earlier post. Below are the relatives of my maternal Grandfather and other relatives of the Hole's by marriage.

I have various levels information on the majority of them.

Charles Henry Ablitt; 2476 Private, 2nd Suffolk Regiment

Frederick Victor Ablitt; 50413 Private, 12th Suffolk Regiment*

George William Ablitt; 225236 Sapper, Royal Engineers

John Ablitt; 97711 Spr MM DCM, 21st Div. Sig. Coy. Royal Engineers

Robert John Ablitt; 944 Private, Royal Field Artillery

Thomas William Ablitt; 47684 Gunner, Royal Garrison Artillery

Willie George Ablitt; 21854 Private, 10th Essex Regiment*

Alfred Ashby; 235614 Private, Prince of Wales’s Own (West Yorkshire Regiment)*

Adam Cook; 4327 Private, Seaforth Highlanders; Machine Gun Corps (Heavy Branch); Tank Corps

John Domigan Cook; Private 8312, 1/4th Royal Scots Fusiliers*

Reginald Gordon Davis; 39129 Private, 2nd York and Lancaster Regiment

Robert Picken Domigan; Private 16279, 7th Royal Scots Fusiliers*

Alexander Russell Domigan; Private 75421, Royal Scots Fusiliers

Bryce Russell Domigan; 34367 Private, King’s Own Scottish Borderers

Alfred Hughes; M/08897 Private, Army Service Corps (Motor Transport)

Charles William Johnson; Temp 2/Lt, Royal Warwickshire Regiment

George Maslin; 551 L/Cpl, 7th Battalion, Royal Sussex Regiment*

George Maslin; 205578 A/R.S.M., Royal Tank Corps; Motor Machine Gun Corps

George A. Maslin; 19971 Private, 13th (Service) Battalion, Royal Sussex Regiment (3rd South Down)*

George H. Maslin; 166425 Private, Worcestershire Regiment, Motor Machine Gun Corps

Herbert John Maslin; 2988 A/Sgt, Sussex Yeomanry; 1st Duke of Cambridge’s Own (Middlesex) Regiment*

James Mitchell Murison; TS/1882 Shoeing Smith, Army Service Corps

Edward G. Pink; 458 Cpl, East Kent Regiment

Lewis James Pink; 14776 Pte, 2nd Battalion, Hampshire Regiment*

Herbert William Pink; 12996 Pte, 13th (Service) Battalion, Hampshire Regiment (1st Portsmouth)*

Albert Pink; 14093 Cpl, 13th (Service) Battalion, Hampshire Regiment (1st Portsmouth)*

Percy Archibald Pink; 2843 A/Cpl, Hampshire Regiment

William Reed; SD4938 Pte, 12th (Service Battalion) Royal Sussex Regiment (2nd South Down)*

Archibald Smith; Spr 66261, 21st Div. Sig. Coy. RE.

David Louis Standing; G/3991, Private, 2nd Royal Sussex Regiment*

* KIA, DoW or Died

I would like to add my wife's side of the Family, the Waley Boys

Great Grandfathers Brother : Lieutenant Aubrey John WALEY. 12th Battalion Royal Fusiliers.

Killed in action 31 July 1917. Aged 21 years.

Where he met his death on 31 July 1917,whilst in the Battle of Pilkem Ridge, with his Battalion, which was part of 17 Brigade of 24 Division. His body was never found and he is remembered on the Menin Gate in Ypres.

Great Grandfather: Captain John David WALEY. Royal Fusiliers. Shown as a Major in August 1917, so he must have still been a serving Officer. He seems to have survived the war.

Grandfather : 2nd Lt Ronald Herbert WALEY, Royal Field Artillery who also served with the Army in France and Flanders. From records is shown that in 1918 joined the RFC (RAF) and was ranked as a Lt. He seems to have survived the war.

This information was given to me by Sotonmate (Which was greatly appreciated)

I would like to add my Great Grandfather,

Martin, Samuel Henry MM 12225 11th Btn Royal Fusiliers

Died 23rd March 1918

And my Great Uncle,

Clowes, William Clive 70101 Cheshire Rgt

Died 5th November 1918

Adrian

To my shame I've spent far more time researching other folk's grandfathers than my own two. They are:

Clement Wade - Medical grade B2 - 367047 100 Coy, Labour Corps. Enlisted 24th June 1916, (Labour Coy established in 1917.) Victory and War Medals.

Charles Patrick Lancaster - 1430, Pte, Royal Sussex Regiment. Later - 412615, Pte, Labour Corps. Entered France 25th February 1915. Victory and War Medals and 15 Star.

Both survived the war. Charles although borderline age limit, served in the Royal Observer Corps on the South coast in WW2 (not sure for how long) He died in 1950.

Clement was too old to serve in WW2, being 44 years of age in 1939. He died in 1970.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks, I would like to add my Great Grandfather and 4 of his brothers.....

Patrick McLaney, 8312,private, 1st Batt Cameron Highlanders...........Discharged 25.5.15 injured France.

James McLaney,10341, private, Scottish Rifles.........also served with Royal Scots private 29112 & 29102

Robert McLaney,24305, private, Scottish Rifles....Died 23.3.19 serving in Meerut,India choked in his sleep.Dehli War Memorial.

Martin McLaney 13036, private,Scottish Rifles...........K.I.A 23.10.16 France. Theipval War Memorial.

William McLaney 8482, L/Cpl,2nd Batt Cameron Highlanders..Discharged 1.1.16 shot in face..treated Queen Mary Hosp Sidcup.

I believe John McLaney (Brother No6) may have served with the Royal Lancs Reg...pre WW1....He died 1912 Glasgow.

• 2 months later...

My Father's cousin - John Meikle Bain - 2Lt (T) 9th Bn Cameronians - KIA 14th July 1916 at Longueval. Buried Carnoy MC.

Hi,

I would like to mention my Grandfather, Great Great uncle and his cousin.

15460 Pte Walter Foster Ryder 10th Sherwood Foresters.

5298 Guardsman William James Alexander. Scots Guards. D.O.W 17/09/16. Buried at La Neuville Brit Cem France.

12475 Pte Thomas Alexander MM. Roay Scots Fusilers

Hello Pals,

14870 Cpl Tom Tarmey 11 Pl, No3 Coy, 1st Bn Coldstream Guards (maternal grandad) wounded at Ginchy but survived.

31997 Pte Charles Thwaite 7th (Service) Bn KSLI (paternal grandad) died of wounds Dec 1918.

22662 Pte John Thwaite Lincolns,Manchesters & RE (great uncle) wounded but survived.

14775 Pte George Tarmey 8th (Service) Bn South Lancashire Regt (great uncle) - survived.

206291 Spr Patrick Tarmey Royal Engineers (great uncle) - died of wounds Dec 1916.

All the others are in my signature!!!

Regards,

Martin

:thumbsup:

I would like to add the following to the list.

Grandfather : Sgt Thomas Walsh 30315 "Q" Battery RGA . Survived.

GrandUncle : L Corporal Joseph Cavanagh 9634. 5th battlion Royal Irish Regiment Died at sea 1917

I have researched both Men and have details on them both.

Fantastic idea!

I'd also like to add my great grandfather:

4069/201632 Private Harry Billington (real name Henry Charles Billington) 2/5th and 1st Battalion Kings Liverpool Regiment.

Thanks

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

I had 3 great uncles who served:

Alfred Hall Private 43119, 6th Battalion, Northamptonshire or Northants Regiment. Formerly 26804, Bedfordshire Regiment. Killed in action at the Somme on 24 March 1918 in France & Flanders.

William Hall Private 2181. 1st Battalion Hertfordshire Regiment. Died of wounds whilst acting as a Stretcher bearer with the Red Cross Society. In France & Flanders on 7 February 1915. Aged 21.

Frederick Hall Service Number: J/7015. HMS 'Defence' - Ship Lost/sunk at the battle of Jutland - 31 May 1916

Olive,

In case you haven't found any details of Alfred Hall, he would have been one of a group of Bedfordshire Regiment men who went overseas on 7 July 1916 to the 7th Bedfords, but were almost immediately transferred (on 17 July 1916) to the 6th Northamptons to replace casualties at Trones Wood on 14 July 1916, being attached to the 6th Northamptons from then onwards until they were officially transferred to the 6th Northamptons on 1 September 1916.

Steve.

One more relative for the list: my great-uncle, John Lawrence Moloney, from an Irish family but born in England,as his father (a soldier too, then serving with the Royal Sussex Regt.) and mother were in Chichester at the time of his birth.

He was RSM, Royal Field Artillery 22nd Brigade, killed in action aged 41 on 29 October 1914, commemorated on Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial

Edited by Liz in Eastbourne

Guest jollygreengiant

May I have the Honour of adding my Maternal Grandfather to the List

Driver John Henry Charles Brown (regiment number 956521) 6th London Brigade RFA. Who served from 15/02/1913 till discharged in family care 21/01/1919. Eventually residing at Banstead Hospital (paid for by his dutiful wife until her death in 1960) until shortly before his death in 1961.

Any information relating to J H C Brown would be welcome I have found his service records on Ancestry but they are of little help as to where in France he was posted and where he was wounded (shelled and gassed).

Clive Taylor.

My great uncle: Charles Benoit (or Bennett)

Served with the Royal Newfoundland Regiment and was killed in October 1918.

Olive,

In case you haven't found any details of Alfred Hall, he would have been one of a group of Bedfordshire Regiment men who went overseas on 7 July 1916 to the 7th Bedfords, but were almost immediately transferred (on 17 July 1916) to the 6th Northamptons to replace casualties at Trones Wood on 14 July 1916, being attached to the 6th Northamptons from then onwards until they were officially transferred to the 6th Northamptons on 1 September 1916.

Steve.

Wow - thanks Steve! I have found a few details on the CWGC & Roll of Honor but this is a great help.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Here's another one, my Great Uncle Private 92326 WILLIAM HENRY THOMPSON 1st Battalion Sherwood Foresters {Notts & Derby Regiment} who was KIA on May 27th 1918 at Aisne

And another (my Great Uncle):

Private Oswald Rose

3rd battalion AIF

Killed 7 August 1915 at Lone Pine.

Os grew up in the house next door to where I lived until I was 18 (in Longueville in Sydney), and apparently only managed to enlist with difficulty as he had lockjaw caused by a fall at Mrs Macquaries Chair. Im in the process of doing some additional research and was lucky enough to visit his grave at Lone Pine last year.

My Great Grand Father

James William Brazier - Born Walton on Thames 1 Feb 1882

Private L/6282 East Surrey Regiment

Enrolled in 1900

served in the Boer War

Served and demobbed in India

Called up for the Great war

Victory medal E/1/103 13/4 page 625

14 Star E/1/6 page 16

Clasp 2/2610

date of entry 11.9.14

Died from his wounds (recieved 21.10.1914 at Lorgies) on the 26 Oct 1914.

Buried at Boulogne Eastern Cemetary

My great uncle:

Private Robert Sperry BAILEY, 25757, 9th Battalion Leicestershire Regiment

From Shepshed, Leicestershire

Died 3 May 1917 near Fontaine Les Croisille, body not found

My great grandfather:

Private John William BAILEY, 240773, 5th Battalion Leicestershire Regiment

From Shepshed, Leicestershire

Survived WW1, died in 1966

• 2 weeks later...

Private, Alfred Cartlidge 269746

1st/7th Battalion. King's Liverpool Regiment.

20th September 1917. Passchendaele.

He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial - Belgium - Panel 31 to 34 and 162 and 162A and 163A . I believe it was in the Battle of Menin Road, part of the Third Battle of Ypres. Left a widow and seven children.

My Great grandad.

• 4 weeks later...

Great uncles:

M/285067 Pte Arthur Henry Pryde, 1129 M.T. Coy., 47th Motor Ambulance Convoy, Army Service Corps.

Spts/2316 A/Sjt Frederick David Pryde, 24th Battalion Royal Fusiliers.

Sjt. H.C. Campbell, South African Scottish (4th S.A.I.) taken POW at defence of Messines ridge 13 April 1918. Ex Natal Police - Boer War and Natal Rebellion 1906.

Gnr. William Percival Pryde Harrison, South African Field Artillery, Palestine.

Capt. Harold Brereton Davis M.C., 1st Hert Yoe, 1st K Edw H, Royal Field Artillery.

Cousins of my grandparents:

2098 Sjt. Thomas Wilkie, Ist Bat. Black Watch, KIA 30-04-1916. Buried British Military extension, Bully-Grenay communal cemetery, Pas de Calais, France.

306349 Pte. Nicoll Fraser Wilkie, Tank Corps.

Two first cousins of my maternal grandmother:

3049 Pte. Robert Colin Campbell, 32Bn., AIF., wounded 20th July 1916, Battle of Fromelles.

51874 Pte. James William Gordon Campbell, 50th Bn., AIF.