Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

List of Relatives who served 1914-1918

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Pte William Street 5048 13th Manchesters not sure when he joined but was awarded the 1915 Star KIA 25th april 1917 Salonica. He was also my Great Uncle

Great Uncle

Pte Ralph Gair 1232 1/6th & 1/4th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers KIA Ypres 26/10/1917

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Kat77scot

My great grandfather.

Private Donald MacDougall, KIA 23rd April, 1917, 1/7th Gordon Highlanders also Cameron Highlanders, Arras. Buried Brown's Copse Cemetery, Rouex.

Kat x

Just a suggestion but how about starting a post inviting members to list relatives who served in the war and their units, or just their units?

It might come to light that some members had relatives who served in the same Battalions/Coys at the same time?

Ian

Dear Ian and all contributors

As I have not read every page of this posting, I may be corrected.

My question is, however, will this information be collated and published/posted in some order of unit,year,campaign,or nationality?

For the record my paternal grandfather Private John McManus enlisted in 1915 and served with the 2nd Battalion AIF in the Somme and Flanders wounded at Flers Christmas Eve 1916, and in the lead up to the Battle of Menin Road,16/9/1917. He survived the War and died in Sydney in 1969.

Regards

Pop

Hi Ruthie I saw your posting and had to reply to it. I have your great unle Enoch`s first world war medals in my medal collection. I collect the East Yorkshire Regiment especially the 7th Battalion as this was my Grandfathers Battalion. Your Great uncle served in the trenches along with my grandfather. What part of the family are you from? Was James your Great Grandfather and was Kezia "Kizara" your Grandmother? and do you by any chance have a photograph of your Great uncle Enoch. Regards Jim Mitchell.

My Grandfather.

Private 23902 John Espey, 10th (Service) Battalion (Derry) Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, attached to 109th Brigade of the 36th Ulster Division.

On 21 January 1918 the 10th Inniskillings was disbanded under War Office orders. Grandad was then assigned to 1st Battalion Royal Irish Rifles as Rifleman Private 4/22752.

He enlisted in 1915 on his 16th birthday. He never ever talked about it. He was badly wounded with machine gun fire, I think towards the end of the war, but survived and seemed to be happy and unaffected by all he had experienced. He died 20 September 1968, aged 69.

• 2 weeks later...

Two direct uncles.

Gunner Frank R Bricknell 94446 Royal Field Artillery

Private Frederick Bricknell M/284930 Army Service Corps.

Details confirmed by the Ancestry release of service records.

George

Great Uncle

Lance Sargeant

(John) Leonard Nuttall

12th Bn Welsh Regiment

Death By Suicide 25/06/1916 at St. Asaph (Resulting from the battle of Loos)

Resided and Buried Bodelwyddan

post-31332-1203951604.jpg

Hi all this is my contribution My Grandfather 6668 Colou/sgt Samuel Mitchell of the 7th Batt East Yorkshire Regiment. Went to France 13th July 1915. I have 31 sets of medals to his comrades in the 7th Batt, maybe i have your relatives. Regards

4 Great-Grand Uncles

(3 brothers) + 1

Joseph Lindsay 7th Bn Royal Irish Rifles (5347) KIA 02/04/1916

Robert Lindsay 15th Bn Central Ontario Regiment (192262) KIA 09/04/1917

Richard Lindsay 15th Bn Royal Irish Rifles (1868) DOW 05/11/1918

William James Mullan 75th Bn Canadian Infantry (730421)

Hello, I'm very new to this site, so please bear with me!

I would like to add my Grandfather

EDWIN CHARLES BLOXHAM GUNNER 40th Brigade ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY

to your site.

He was I believe amongst the first men to go to war, although I dont know where he fought.

He joined up in whilst living in Birmingham (I think), on 19th August 1914 and was a POW on 26th August 1914.

I have a photo which must have been taken at some point during the war, of four men, two in uniform with jodphurs and two in uniforms with trousers. My grandad is one of the men.

Maybe you had someone in this brigade at this time? I would publish this, but cant seem to get it to work!

I was lucky to have known my grandfather if only for a few years as a small child, unlike others whos grandads didn't return. My email is annonehouse@aol.com. if you would like to see the picture.

I've just started researching and I don't as yet have any info about military service or unit numbers.

My grandfather and great uncle both served. I think they were both in the same unit.

Grandfather Patrick Carr went down in Cameronia but was rescued, survived war but died at 50

Great uncle John Lally Lost his leg in battle survived war but died 5 yrs later

I think from information received here. They were in HLI

pte Samuel Thompson regt no 40116 3rd battn Wrocs Regt 13th October 1914 for S Staffordshire Regiment. Also served in S Lancs Regt. Born 1895

Transferred to Army reserve on 11th February 1919, married Annie Lillian May Packwood 1920 dtr of George Packwood and Annie (nee Hamflett). Only son Rev George Harry Packwood Thompson bn 06/04/1922.

My Grand Uncle Joseph Fellows. He fell at the battle of the Selle, in France.

Hi is remembered with honour at the VIS-EN-ARTOIS MEMORIAL (I assume his body was not found).

Lance Corporal JOSEPH FELLOWS

MM

13271, "C" Coy. 1st/8th Bn., Worcestershire Regiment

who died age 22 on 23 October 1918

Son of John and Sarah Fellows, of 4/120, St. Mark's St., Ladywood, Birmingham.

May this brave man rest in peace,

Could you tell me if your grand uncle was related to a Hannah Fellowes who married Edward Packwood? They were my husband's great ? grandparents. Their son George was my husband's ? grandfather who was killed by a bolting horse and cart in 1921 His Daughter Annie Lillian May Packwood was my husband's mother. She married Pte Samuel Thompson who joined the 3rd btn Worcs Rgt 12/10/1914 (bn 1895 so not sure of all the greats) I would love some info on the Fellowes because I cannot find any even though I have George's original Victorian Birth Certificate.

pte Samuel Thompson regt no 40116 3rd battn Wrocs Regt 13th October 1914 for S Staffordshire Regiment. Also served in S Lancs Regt. Born 1895

Transferred to Army reserve on 11th February 1919, married Annie Lillian May Packwood 1920 dtr of George Packwood and Annie (nee Hamflett). Only son Rev George Harry Packwood Thompson bn 06/04/1922.

I also must have photos of all your Thompsons if there is a family connection and their brides.

My Grandfather William Alfred Mcguigan, Service Number 41672 8th Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers died at Borry Farm, third Ypres on 16th August 1917. One of the missing commemerated at Tyne cot. Born 1880. Portsmouth wife Eizabeth two children Alice and Beatrice. Two brothers John and Charles and a sister Elizabeth. Residing at Beatrice Road Southsea.

My Great Grandfather

PTE 202865 Ernest Parsley Border Regiment 1914-18 survived

Great Great Uncle (though marriage)

CPL Bob Clements MM Border Regiment 1914-18 survived

There are others but have not got the information at the moment:)

Albert Baker. Saw much service in the Crocodile Works in Aston near Birmingham. Believed to have been making bayonets and other edged weapons and tools.

This is just down the road from my place of work, sadly it's being knocked down to make apartments. I never knew it had a Great War link.

Jon

Guest Michelle Flan

My Great Grandad who died in Italy WW1

0e2bddff-8a61-46c6-ac89-ea25e436780d-3.j

Serjeant Henry Livingstone Davenport

Unit: D Comapny 9th Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment.

Service: Army

Service Number: 17211

Force Nationality: British Forces

Rank/Appointment: Serjeant

Commemorated at: Granezza British Cemetery

Locality:

Other Details: Died of wounds 15th June 1918. Age 27. Son of Robert and the late Mary Davenport of Toxteth Park Liverpool; husband of Beatrice A. Davenport of 2 Wellington Street Mexborough. Plot 1. Row D. Grave 15.

I am going to visit his grave 7th July 2008

Any better details of area where cemetary is would really appriciateit

Greatuncle Pte.Charles Woodbury,9th East Surreys,arrived 10/15,wounded 6/16 and 6/17,evaded Germans swimming Somme Canal 3/18,captured 10/18,River Selle.

Greatuncle Reg.Howship Pte 13th R.I.R. late'16-17,2nd Lieut. 12th East Surreys 8/18,M.C.10/18,9th East Surreys,1919.

Greatuncle Gunner Gilbert Lucas,H.A.C.Siege Battery from 2/18

Greatuncle L/Corporal Douglas Palmer ,1914-19,Hants.Yeomanry and Cavalry M.G.C.(squadron not traced)

Greatuncle James Shaft o.r.,R.F.C.(unit not traced)

other relatives-Sergeant Albert Hemmings,6th S.W.Bs.1914-18(killed 10/4,Ploegsteert);Rifleman John Palmer,2nd L.R.B. dow 9/17;War Volunteer E.Arno Bierast 48th Field Artillery(4th Saxon),1914-18.

Grandfather: Hikiera Tautuhi, 16/561, 1st Maori Contingent, NZEF, 1914-1919

Great Grandfather: Sidney Tompsett, 53102, 2nd Royal Fusiliers, POW at Cambrai 30/11/17, *interned at Dulmen and Parchim Lager till end of war. *Just got this info from Int. Red Cross yesterday (my Dad's ecstatic!!)

Great uncles: Thomas Kirk, 9887, Royal Irish Regiment, KIA Ypres 15/3/15

William Kirk, enlisted AIF under assumed name, KIA Gallipoli 1915...just what name is a great mystery in our family, yet to be solved.

One of my grandfather's uncles was in the US Army during WWI, but never served overseas. I don't know his name though :(

My Great Uncle:

Oliver Billingham...Private 8419...1st/5th South Staffs....enlisted Walsall...thought in Territorials before war......entered theatre of war 18/08/1915.....fought at Ypres.....then moved to Loos to relieve other tired/shortage soldiers, arrived on morning of 13/10/1915....Killed, missing, that day...at Hohenzollern Redoubt......aged 24...Memorial Loos, panel 73-76....

small pargraph of info.....large helpless feeling!.....

Oliver's Nephew Alfred and Oliver's brother Alfred is believed to have served in ww1 too......still researching....

Best wishes to all

Freda

Hi to all

Here is my contribution My grandmothers Uncle

Corporal George Hale m2/139218 ASC survived the war

regards to all Mark