Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

List of Relatives who served 1914-1918

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I have three relatives who were part of the first world war:

My maternal Grandfather (Grandpa) Frank Hawkes was in the Essex Regiment and survived the war. My mum tells me that he actually was also the Royal Corps of Signals so I'm not quite sure how that links in with the Essex regiment, unless I have that bit wrong. Anyway he spent part of the war in Ireland.

My Great Uncle on my mothers side joined the Middlesex Regiment (13th batt) Sadly he died of wounds in Aug 1916. My mother tells me that he was a railwayman before the war. He was wounded once in action and lost two fingers. Because he still had a trigger finger he volunteered to return to duty. The next time he was wounded in the stomach. Shortly after that he died.

On my fathers side Great Uncle Archie was forbidden to join up until he was 18. On his 18th Birthday he walked from Romsey to Winchester to enlist, and then walked back again. He was posted to Mesopotania and survived the war.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Americankev

My Grand Uncle Joseph Fellows. He fell at the battle of the Selle, in France.

Hi is remembered with honour at the VIS-EN-ARTOIS MEMORIAL (I assume his body was not found).

Lance Corporal JOSEPH FELLOWS

MM

13271, "C" Coy. 1st/8th Bn., Worcestershire Regiment

who died age 22 on 23 October 1918

Son of John and Sarah Fellows, of 4/120, St. Mark's St., Ladywood, Birmingham.

May this brave man rest in peace,

• 3 weeks later...

I have several immediate relatives who served with different countries' armies due to the gypsy nature of my family...

Hikiera Tautuhi (later changed his surname to 'Martell' after...yes, the cognac. Lol), NZEF, 16/561, First Maori Contingent: My maternal grandfather who served at Gallipoli and then the New Zealand Pioneer Battalion for the remainder of the war.

Thomas Kirk, BEF, 9887, Royal Irish Regiment: My maternal great-uncle, KIA Ypres March 1915

William Kirk, AIF (jumped ship to enlist under an assumed name, lost to history unfortunately): My maternal great-uncle, KIA at Gallipoli 1915

Sidney Tompsett, BEF, GS/53102, Royal Fusiliers: My paternal great-grandfather, taken prisoner at Cambrai, spent remainder of the war interred in a punishment camp.

Mark Noble, RND, Z/5487: My paternal great-uncle, served at Gallipoli, badly wounded and never able to work again.

John (Jack) Trimble, BEF, 19/460, Royal Irish Rifles: My maternal great-uncle by marriage, went over the top 1st July 1916, gave blood in one of the first blood transfusions and eventually got shot in the leg. I'm lucky enough to have a video of his memories - a wonderful raconteur with a memory as sharp as a tack in his 90's as it was at 16 when he joined up.

My Husband's Great Uncle David Raw,served with the 2/8 manchester regiment,then transferred to 738th Area Employment Coy, Labour Corp and died on the 25th April 1918 age 20

My Grandfather, bombardier Maurice Newman, served with 4th Siege Battery RGA from August 14 right through to the end.

Nigel

Hello.

This thread makes me realise that I must try to find more details:

My Father: Dr Arthur H. Morris 1st Lt (Later Capt) RAMC (Survived died 1987)

In 1918-1919 with 55th West Lancashire Division in the following units in the following order:

1/3 West Lancashire Field Ambulance

2/1 Wessex Field Ambulance

MO 1/5 Battalion Kings Own Royal Lancashire Regiment

Also temporarily MO 1/5 Battalion South Lancashire Regiment

2/1 Wessex Field Ambulance (again)

In 1919-1920 deployed where needed:

39th Stationary Hospital when at Ascq outside Lille.

HQ Tournai sub-area.

MO i/c British troops Tournai.

10th Stationary Hospital when at Remy Sidings (Poperinghe) also MO to a Labour Corps.

My Uncle: Dr Leonard N. Morris Capt RAMC (Survived)

Units unknown, but was invalided out after a gassing in 1917 (Died 1944)

My Maternal Grandfather: William A .Webber, a regular soldier, CSM / WO 1st Class

Bedfordshire Regiment and Labour Corps. (survived died 1956)

His original Army service had ended in the last week of July 1914! After one week as a civilian he was back in uniform. He spent most of the war training young men for the front and taking them there. He must have been in Pop as my mother says he was confirmed at Talbot House at a ripe old age.

My Father’s cousins:

Richard G. Morris (survived)

Harry Morris (survived

Sydney Morris (survived)

Frank Edwards (survived)

Several of my Mother’s cousins including:

Henry Aubertin (survived)

Frank Aubertin (survived)

Alfred

post-13413-1192883429.jpg

grandfather Corporal William Needham, 11995, 8th Lincolns, missing, 26th Sept 1915 at Loos, and taken prisoner

grandfather 2nd Lieut. Harry Eyre, ASC, British East Africa... I've got loads of sketches, cartoons,and some photos from this as he trained as an artist.

They were both from Chesterfield

grandfather Corporal William Needham, 8th Lincolns, no 11995, missing 26th Sept 1915 at Loos, then p.o.w.

grandfather 2nd Lieut Harry Eyre ASC, British East Africa, have got pictures and cartoons as he trained as an artist, and some photos

Both from Chesterfield

Great Grandad

Frank Wickham, 200279, enlisted in Dover, and was in the 1st/6th battalion (Territorial) of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment (formerly 2746 of The Buffs)He died of wounds in Havre hospital on 13 October 1917, when he was 40 (another report gives an age of 36).

WickhamF2.gif

Great Great Uncle

William Ernest Wickham, G/13557, was a Serjeant in the Buffs. He was in the 6th battalion and had gained the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal. He was 41 when he was reported missing on 3rd May 1917. He is commemorated on the Arras Memorial. "

WickhamW.gif

Cousin (however many times removed)

Charles Edward Wickham, 68089, was a Private in the 7th battalion of the Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) (formerly 6858 2/5th Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment). He enlisted and lived in Paddington. He was 29 when he died on 30th December 1917, and is commemorated on the Thiepval memorial.

WickhamCE.gif

Great Great Uncle

Frank Randle regimental number 29847 1st Bn Loyal North Lancashire. He was originally in the Manchester Regiment (5069). killed 01/03/1918.

Great Uncle, PTE Thomas James Evans, I believe of the 15th Battalion Welsh Regiment. My Wife had two great grand fathers', Pte William John Saunders 2nd Welsh, Killed December 28th 1914, and Sapper Albert George Davies Killed in March 1918.

Henry Stears Wilson

Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry Regt.

Pte

Regt No. 15510

03.09.1914 - 07.01.1915

Enlisted at Stratford

Trained at Bodmin

1st Northamptonshire Regt.

Pte

Regt.No. 58310

MIC

Victory

British

=

Walter Henry Petty

East Kent Regt.

Pte

Regt.No. 53420

Middlesex Regt.

Pte

Regt.No. 40834

Wiltshire Regt.

Pte

Regt.No. 49050

Gloucestershire Regt.

Pte

Regt.No. 49834

MIC

Victory

British

=

Henry Herman Richard Summers

16th “The Queens Lancers” Regt.

Pte Regt.No. 2690 1910

Lance Corporal Regt.No. 2690 1911

Corporal Regt.No. 2690 1913

Acting Sergeant Regt.No. L/2690 1914

Sergeant Regt.No. 2690 1915

MIC

Victory

British

Star 1914

Clasp and Rose

16th/5th The Queen's Royal Lancers

Thomas Greatbatch

Army Number: 14252727

The above detail is all I have of my father other than he was a "tank driver" and he received several injuries in Italy though continued on to the end of WW2. I have his rather battered "Solidier's Release Book Class "A" which is where I obtained Army No.

I would like to know what he actually did and where he went in WW2 as he spoke volumes of the men he was alongside, he had great respect for them all.

Regards,

Mo

I'm posting these for my 2nd family!!

3 brothers:

Captain Claude D’Arcy Stratton (de Lisle) Bush

Gloucestershire Regiment

• Born – 22nd January 1894

• Educated – Clifton College, Bristol

• Clifton College OTC – Acting Lance Corporal

• Commissioned 2nd Lieutenant – 20th November 1912

• Gloucestershire Regiment – 3rd Battalion, Special Reserve (Militia)

• Disembarked France – 6th September 1914

• Wounded at Ypres – 31st October 1914 (High Explosive Shell shrapnel wounds to lungs and hand. Bullet wound to leg)

• Hospital at Boulogne – 2 months

• Light duties – 1916

• Attached 1/6th King’s African Rifles - Kenya

• Embarked Mombasa – 20th April 1919

• Disembarked Avonmouth – 17th May 1919

• Ceased to be employed KAR – 16th June 1919

• Demobilised – 30th June 1919

• Transferred to Special Reserve of Officers

• Resigned commission – 25th May 1928

• Granted rank of Honourary Major – London Gazette 15th June 1928

• Appointed Lieutenant – August 1940

• 3rd Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment

• Died – 22nd January 1941 aged 47 (CWGC Eastington Churchyard)

• Awarded: 1914 Star and bar, British War Medal. Victory Medal

• Due: 1939-45 Star and War Medal?

Captain John Stanley de Lisle Bush

Royal Flying Corps

• Commissioned 2nd Lieutenant

• Somerset Light Infantry – 3rd Battalion, Special Reserve

• Disembarked France – 6th September 1914

• Bullet wound to right calf - 2nd November 1914

• Seconded to Royal Flying Corps – 28th July 1916 as Lieutenant

• Observer and Pilot

• Number 41 Squadron RFC

• Promoted Captain – 1917

• Killed in Action 25th August 1917 – Shot down flying Sopwith A9212

• Awarded: 1914 Star, British War Medal. Victory Medal

Lieutenant Hugh Godfrey de Lisle Bush

MC, MiD

Gloucestershire Regiment

• Born 1st April 1892

• Eastington Park, Eastington, Gloucestershire

• Educated at Eton School

• Blast Furnace assistant manager – J Lysaght Ltd

• Eton Officer Training Corps 1906-1909

• Comissioned 2nd Lieutenant 1909 – Royal Gloucestershire Hussars

• Commissioned 2nd Lieutenant – 15th August 1914

• Gloucestershire Regiment – 3rd Battalion, Special Reserve

• Disembarked France to join 1st Battalion 20th September 1914

• Awarded Military Cross 25th January 1915 for gallantry at Givenchy – LG 10th March 1915

• Mentioned in despatches 31st May 1915 – LG 22nd June 1915

• Wounded at Loos, 6th October 1915 – Gun shot wound to right thigh

• Died of wounds at Mrs Burn’s Hospital for officers – 17th January 1917

• Awarded: Military Cross, 1914-15 Star, British War Medal. Victory Medal(MID).

Both my Great Great Uncles

Private ARTHUR HEAD - 17920, 1st Bn., Lincolnshire Regiment

Son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Head, of Morton, Bourne, Lincs.

who died age 28 on 16 April 1918 in hand to hand combat in the battle at Wytschaete holding the line from Bogaert Farm to Stanyzer Caberet Cross Roads.

Buried at Tyne Cot.

Private ERNEST CARR - DM2/102457, M.T. 307th Coy., Army Service Corps

who died age 26 on 24 July 1915

I only know that he died in training in this country, however have been unable to find any further information

Buried at WITHAM-ON-THE-HILL (ST. ANDREW) CHURCHYARD

My great grandfather - Corporal Joseph Barclay served in A company, 7th Royal Scots fusilers (7th RSF), 15th Scottish Division, between August 1914 and October 1916.

The 7th RSF amalagamated with the 6th Rsf in early 1916 and became the 6/7th Royal Scots Fusiliers.

My Great Grand Fathers details:

Name:Robert May.

Regiment:1st battalion East Yorkshire.

Robert was killed in action on July 1st 1916 at Fricourt during the opening day of the battle of the Somme.

• 2 weeks later...

Pte (later L/Sgt) Herbert Adams MM&Bar. East Lancs Regt Discharged as unfit for

further war service 1 Mar 1919. Died (RIP) 1977.

expat pom

• 2 weeks later...

My family members who served in the Great War:

James Craig, Pvt. No. 9433, 2nd Bn. Royal Scots Fusiliers, killed in action Oct. 23, 1914 near Gheluvelt, Ypres, Belgium. Remembered in the Menin Gate Memorial. Born in Maybole, Ayrshire, Scotland. Always remembered.

Thomas Craig, not much known yet. Fife and Forfar Yeomanry, then ?Black Watch? Survived the war. Unable to find any records. From Saint Andrews, Fifeshire, Scotland. Died 1939. RIP.

Researcing and looking for members who might have served from the Fellows family, Walsall, Staffordshire, England; the Taylor family, Wolverhamton, Staffordshire, England & maybe some from the USA; the Brotherston family, Kelso, Roxburghshire, Scotland; the Rutherford family, Melrose, Roxburghshire, Scotland.

Ole Goofy

Great-grandfather: Annibale (or Giovanni) Locatelli, served in Italian army 1916 to 1919 - survived but no more details

Great-grandfather: Pvt. Alfred Woodcock, 4th Battallion ANZAC, wounded in action August 1918. Radio operator, Survived, died 1941(?)

Great-grandfather: Pvt. Philip Caesar (allegedly) Clarke, unknown regt., machine gunner. Gassed but survived war

Great-great-uncle: Pvt. (later CSM) Leo Nava, 1st Battallion Honourable Artillery Company. Volunteered Nov. 1914, transferred to RFC in April 1917. Served in RAF until 1920, acting Captain.

My Grandfather

16-720 Pte Harry Bebb 16th West Yorkshire Regt

His brothers

22028 Pte Louis Bebb Lanc Fus

C/6209 Pte Norman Bebb KIA 10/10/16 18th KRRC

50616 Pte Thomas W Bebb West Yorkshire Regiment

His Cousin

24545 Pte Herbert Bebb KIA 04/11/18 9th West Riding Regiment

My Great Grandfather

21/1490 Pte Adam Smith Northumberland Fusiliers

God Bless them !

Channelhopper

• 3 weeks later...

joseph walsh 5846 coldstream guards 1st battalion died 29-10-1914

john wall loyal north lancs 1714 survived.

joseph hudson gibbard A.I.F 28th battalion 12th reinforcements (7th brigade)

Private Arthur Gilbert Moore 267105 MM, signaller. 6th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers

Cresence Castle??? Details unknown. Aged about 15 at time of enlistment. Possibly London based Regiment?? (Not sure how often place of residence was related to the assigned regiment)

L/Cpl Frederick J Archer 2905 1/1st Staffs Yeo joined 5 Sep 1914 transferred to 18th MCG (Cav) Squadron 24 Jul 1917 He died (as so many) of Malaria on 23 Oct 1918. He was my Gt Uncle

Private Charles H Archer 2904 1/1st Staffs Yeo joined 5 9 14 transferred to Corps of Hussars and came home. F J Archer and he were brothers and had consecutive Reg No's. My Gt Uncle