Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

List of Relatives who served 1914-1918

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest stwrtandrsn

my grandfather pte Robert Anderson was with 5th Batt,Northumberland Fusiliers,gassed and wounded at Ypes,he was found unconcious in the mud by a German prisoner of war,who carried him to a field hospital and saved his life.he lived for a few years after the war but Emphasemia killed him (probably the long term effect of mustard gas)

My Grandfather

Thomas James Edward Courtie No. 128655 Royal Garrison Artillery BQMS 232 Siege Battery and BQMS/BSM 196 Siege Battery.

Survived the war (good job as my Mother was born in 1920!)

Regards,

Norman

My Great Uncle

Sgt. Albert Smith MM Regimental No 242567

1st/4th Battalion Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment)

Killed in Action 11th October 1918 aged 28

Buried Wellington Cemetery, Rieux-en-Cambresis, Nord, France.

Born Almondbury, Huddersfield

Guest richarddace

Paternal grandfather - Sgt S (Sid) Dace, 8th Norfolks. Joined up September 1914 and originally posted to 10th Norfolks, but this was reclassified as a training unit in March 1915 and he was sent to France as a re-inforcement for the 8th in August 1915. Served as a battalion scout and later as an instructor at 5th Army School. Gassed March 1918 whilst attached 8th Londons (Post Office Rifles) as acting CSM, and spent a year in hospital. Died 1964.

Paternal great uncle - Sgt A (Alf) Dace, 1/5th Essex. To Gallipoli in August 1915. Sent home from Egypt in early 1916 and discharged (time expired pre-war territorial?).

Paternal great uncle - Gnr W (Billy) Lingley, B Bty, 315th Bde, RFA. Killed 22/03/1918 and buried at Roye - http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=580720

Maternal great grandfather - Pte A (Alec) Bulling - KRRC, battalion unknown. Badly wounded in France in 1917 or 1918.

My grandfather- Richard Butler, Sapper (wireless operator), RE and his brother James, Pioneer (despatch rider), RE. Both served in the same unit in East Africa and later Russia.

Greetings

Two Grandfathers

P8157 Lance Corporal Claud Hickley Military Foot Police, one of the "Specials" undercover ones, I have his secret passes.

Colonel E J Hyden, 27th Prussian Jaeger Battalion, - the Finnish one. 1915 active as courier and guide, Oulu to Sweden, then training in Germany after ice pursuit by Russia troops, active service eastern front, Riga, River Aa etc, returned to Finland early due to Swedish passport to arrange Jaegers return. Served Finnish Independence War, captured the bridge at Tampere by swimming under the ice after being heavily machine gunned, Finnish Civil War, active service ,at Terrioki with the British CBMs and Agar, assisted other Baltic Countries gain Independence, and the Polish war against the Russians. Chosen for French staff college 1924, but resigned to get married. Rejoined in early 1930's, served on the General Staff with Mannerhiem, especially his 70th Birthday celebrations in Finland. Had dealing with Germany from 1936 onwards, assisted in the set up of the active Territorial battalions, set up of anti aircraft sites Helsinki, served Winter War, Continuation War, arranged the location of the Finnish side of Hitlers visit. Negotiation of arms supplies with the Germans 1944. War against the Germans in Lapland, and the Islands in the Southern Baltic. Evacuation of islands ceded to Russia, commandeered ferries of his own bat! Resigned army 1946. Early 1970 resigned from Sako and did one man tour of UK arms industry which lead to Finland buying Hawks etc , his last military negotiation or formal activity over 55 years on from being a young man dreaming, and fighting for his countries independence.

My Great Grandfather Lance Sergeant James Mullan fought and died with the 2nd Battalion of the Royal Irish Rifles from Nov 1914 to 1915.

<<<<<<<<<<<<< SO PROUD OF HIM >>>>>>>>>>>>

My grandfather, pte.William Gladstone Taylor S/5016, ‘D’company, 9th Black Watch 1914 – 1917.

Fought at Loos and Hill 70. How he managed to survive was a miracle as he lost a cousin, his best friend and many pals on that tragic day, 25th September 1915.

Transfered to Royal Engineers, reg.no. 359531, rank private 1917 – 1918.

My grandfathers cousin was Lance Corporal James Jenkins Taylor, S/2829 and machine gunner with ‘C’ company, Seaforth Highlanders. He was listed as missing after 25th September 1915, never returning from Hill 70.

What bad luck that family had. His son was listed as missing after not returning from a bombing raid over Berlin on 31st January 1944.

He had exactly the same name as his father. He was Flight Sergeant James Jenkins Taylor, 1377207, 83 Sqdn,. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

For me these men will always be heroes.

Tony

My Grandfather 13110 Sergeant Edgar Simms served 1914-1919 7th Service Battalion Yorks and Lancs Regiment (Pioneers)

Joan

17457 Pte. John Pearson 15th (Service) Battalion the Royal Scots - 1st City of Edinburgh - KIA 1/7/16 and all the 'Manchester Scottish' lads. (My wife's Great Uncle)

SPR Percy William Loveday, Royal Engineers (My Grandad)

Arthur Piggott DCM Manchester Regiment (My wife's relation) Captured 100 Germans!!

John Dowson Yorkshire Rgt. KIA - (Grandads Brother's Son)

Herbert Dowson Yorkshire Rgt. KIA - (Great Grandad's other Brother's Son)

Owen Dowson R.F.A. - (Grandad's Brother)

Frank Oram RFA also KIA 1917 was my Grandmother's Uncle - from Uffington, Berks - I think

All Dowson's from Sowerby & Thirsk and District area including Thornton le Street

Hello,

I have three relatives that served and fortunately they all survived and lived into old age.

My Grandfather: Cecil Roy Moon, PO16752 Royal Marine Light Infantry, 1913 - 1918.

His brother: Harry Clifford Moon MM, G/2164 8th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment 1914 - 1916, 75915 2nd Battalion Tank Corps 1916 - 1918.

My Great- Grandfather: Albert Lewis Cheeseman, M-305654 ASC 191? - 1919.

Just a suggestion but how about starting a post inviting members to list relatives who served in the war and their units, or just their units?

It might come to light that some members had relatives who served in the same Battalions/Coys at the same time?

Ian

my grandfather Roland Croft was in the 8th btn Royal Irish Rifles and 3rd btn Royal Irish Regiment

Good idea. Why not start right here?

hi everyone

my contribution

private frederick reed 6th city of london regiment 1924-18

thats all i have for now :(

john reed

Just a suggestion but how about starting a post inviting members to list relatives who served in the war and their units, or just their units?

It might come to light that some members had relatives who served in the same Battalions/Coys at the same time?

Ian

My grandfather Pte Murdo Macrae 1st Btln Seaforth Highlanders Gased Belgium wounded friendly fire in uk 1916 demobed feb 1917 .

Dan

Just looking through this thread - wondering whether there is any way when we put names in our signatures that the information could then "link" these names if other members have similar names in their signatures.

This may sound simple enough, but may be a very difficult thing to achieve.

Am also wondering how all this information could be catalogued? Massive undertaking...........

Maybe I am being "simple" or too complicated?

Just a thought (probably best if I stop having them now!).

just bumping up a suggestion. Could it work?

Adding my Great Uncle

Sergeant Thos Wilkie, service number 2098, Ist Bat Black Watch, Landed in France 13th August 1914, KIA 30th April 1916 aged 21. Buried plot 1A1 British Military extension, Bully-Grenay communal cemetry, France.

Hi, I'm new to this forum.

My grandfather, John Ashburton Dunning was Private 7992 in the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders and

Private 563390 in the Labour Corps.

My second cousin was Edwin Harris Dunning, DSC, RN who was the first man to land a plane on a moving ship in August 1917.

Caroline :)

My second cousin was Edwin Harris Dunning, DSC, RN who was the first man to land a plane on a moving ship in August 1917.

Wow! He must have been quite a character! B)

Hi, I'm new to this forum.

My grandfather, John Ashburton Dunning was Private 7992 in the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders and

Private 563390 in the Labour Corps.

He must have been fearless, that's quite a first time by any standards

• 1 month later...

My Father.

Richard Charles Timson. Private 30476 11th Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment.

A4 boy at the Battle of Hazebrouck April 1918.

11th Bn EYR was in the 92nd Brigade together with 10th Bn EYR and 11th Bn East Lancashire Regiment.

George.

My relatives served in 1915-1918 in the Army of Tzardom of Bulgaria:

My maternal greatgrandfather Todor Stanchev - private from the 8th Infantry Primorie regiment - fought at Dobrich (1916), Kubadin line (1916), Danube delta (1916-1917), Jarebichna (Skra de legen) (1917), The Loop of river Cherna (1917-1918).

My paternal greatgranfather - Mihail Kjuvliev - private of the 55th infantry regiment. Killed in action in August 1916 in the battle of Chegan heights at peak Meteriz tepe.

My paternal greatuncle - Angel Nikolov - gratuated 1915 from the Military school in Sofia. Between 1915 and 1917 served as a company commander in 40th Belomorie regiment. Fought at The Loop od Cherna, wounded twice. In 1917 transferred to 11th Sliven regiment, fought at Dimova poljana in 1917-1918.

• 4 weeks later...
Sgt. William Dodd 2nd Batt. Royal Dublin Fusiliers (served from the very start of the war Killed on the 01/07/1916)

Pte. Patrick Roe M.M. 2nd Batt. Royal Dublin Fusiliers (served from the very start of the war wounded and later had his leg amputated on the 01/07/1916)

Gnr. Daniel Roe Royal Field Artillery (I don't know what Bt

Micheal Roe

Pte. Stephen Mealy 1st Batt. Leinster Regiment (Killed the 12/05/1915)

Spr. John Mealy Royal Engineers

Gnr. H. Tresson Royal Field Artillery

Conor

my grandfather harry owen, born 1901, enlisted with middx regiment corps, he was a private, reg no g-24301, lost an arm in the great war, but survived, and lived till 1973. r.I.p grsnd-dad, and all those who lost their lives fighting for queen, and country

lesley