Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

List of Relatives who served 1914-1918

Guest Ian Bowbrick

My Great-Grandfather:

Pte. Lewis John Ley (liked to be called John), Reg. No. 14919,

1st Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers, Enlisted 2nd September 1914, Discharged 28th July 1916. Disembarked in France on 1st May 1915. Fought in Ypres and was gassed.

Born in Witham Friary, Somerset in 1881 and enlisted while living in Ashford, Middlesex with wife and three children Edwin, Arthur (my grandfather) and Ivy.

Survived the war, having one more child Daisy after the war, and died in 1953 aged 71.

Gone but not forgotten.

Kevin Lewis Ley.

my relations

My Grandfather - see my signature

My great uncle - C.H. Pay, 2nd Life Guards (#/2592) M.M. served the whole war in F&F with my grandfather only to die 25/11/20 of peretinitis. Brothered my grandfather into the Life Guards.

My Grandfather - Royal Engineers - Sapper- Frank Macey

My great uncle - Royal Navy- Lieutenant Reginald Macey.

Andy

Great Grandfather Walter William Collier Died Dec 16th 1917 Royal Defence Corps buried in Heroes Corner Woolwich Military Cemetery.

RSM Arthur Collier MC DCM Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars. Died 1st June 1917. Buried Henley on Thames

PO Albert Collier RN. Served from 1881 to 1903. Recalled 1914-1919

Grandfather Pte Walter Lawrence Collier 2nd Queen's

Pte Frank Collier Devons

Sgt Charley Collier RGA

Pte Douglas Sidney Collier Somerset Light Infantry KIA 4/10/1917 aged 19. Commemorated at Tyne Cot

• 4 weeks later...

My families contribution

My grandad

Pte Herbert (Pop) Cornwall E Surrey Regt & Somerset LI died 1972 after a lifetime of suffering from the effects of gas

My great uncles

Pte John William (Jack) Bettles 2nd Bn Norfolk killed in action 22 April 1916 commemorated on the Basra Memorial

Pte George Clingo 8th & 9th Bns Norfolk Regiment. He came home very badly injured was discharged SWB

Pte John (Jack) Clingo 9th Bn Norfolk Regiment killed in action 15th April 1918 commemmorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial

RIP

• 2 months later...
Guest Bob Fraser

Hi all,

My Great Uncle, Stanley Gale

No. 200,988 1/4th Cheshire Regiment.

Born 24 May 1898, enlisted January 1915, KIA 23rd July 1918.

On that day 6 other ranks were killed, 3 officers and 83 OR wounded, 1 OR missing and 184 gassed. That day they sustained 280 casualties from 389 in the entire month.

Bob

Hello All,

What a great idea, here's my entry, for what it's worth..........

Maternal Great-Grandfather:- Jeremiah Regan, enlisted D Coy 6th Buffs (East Kent Regt) September 1914, France June 1915, wounded & evacuated home March 1916 (possibly in the action that Cpl Cotter won the regiment's only VC of the war, near the Hohenzollern redoubt). Trnsferred to Royal Egineers (Waterways & Railways?) May 1916, & returned to France August 1918. Discharged from Purfleet early 1919 as a Cpl, although had reached acting Sgt at least twice.

Paternal Great-Uncle (see signature below):- Arthur Whitsey, 1st Bn Dorsets, a pre- war regular "recalled to the colours" August 1914, killed October 1914, no known grave.

My mother had an uncle by marriage, who I used to visit when I was younger, Joseph Connor, who served in the Royal Navy both during & after WW1, & was, I believe, a Merchant Sailor in WW2 on the Atlantic convoys, but I have no other details.

There may well be many other relatives that I do not know of, they would be named Denton, Regan, Pooley or Williamson, mostly from East London or Lincolnshire......

Cheers

Mark

Our Grandad (Dad's father) ... Pte. Henry Norman Causton [b. 1892 at Wotton nr Dorking, Surrey-d.1980 at Worthing], #73880, 28th (North West) Battalion, C.E.F. Wounded & taken prisoner in the Battle of Mount Sorrel on 6 June 1916.

Grandad's brothers: Miles Townsend "Gilbert" Causton [b.1894 at Wotton nr Dorking-d.1974 at Croydon] and Kent Richard Causton [b.1897 at Croydon].

Grandad's cousins: brothers Ted and Charles and sister Jessie Rowland.

Mum's uncle ... Pte. Alfred Kilpatrick [1897-1975], #113340, 8th C.M.R. [CEF]. Taken prisoner in the Battle of Mount Sorrel on 3 June 1916.

Mum's cousin ... Pte. John Harold Williams [1896-1916], #27663, 15th Battalion C.E.F. Killed in the Battle of Mount Sorrel on 2 June 1916. John's mother, Agnes Louisa, died within weeks of hearing the news. John's name is inscribed on the Menin Gate.

John's father ... Lieut. Alfred "Casey" Williams [b.1862 at Shrewsbury-d.1922], 180th Battalion (48th Highlanders) C.E.F. "Casey" was a civilian/military physical instructor with ties to the University of Toronto.

CEF Study Group link to Lieut. Alfred "Casey" Williams": article about his death & life, in UofT newspaper

Mum's uncle ... Pte. John Stuart Kilpatrick [1892-1979], #769998, 124th Battalion C.E.F.

Mum's 2nd cousin; John Harold Williams' father ... Lieut.-Col. Samuel John "Jack" Huggins [b.1864 at Winchester-d.1922 at Hamilton, Ont.], 4th Battalion C.E.F. Awarded Officer of OBE.

Jack's son ... Lieut. John Alfred Huggins [b.1896-], 116th/120th Battalion C.E.F.

Dad's uncle; his mother's brother ... Pte. Arthur Charles Dunford [b.1896 at Bournemouth-1916], #15819, East Surrey Regiment, 12th Bn. Died 18 Sept 1916; buried at Heilly Station Cemetery, Mericourt-l'Abbée.

Arthur's brother ... Corp. Albert George Dunford alias Wawman [b.1888 at Croydon-1918], #36663, Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry. Died 1 June 1918; buried at Thiennes British Cemetery.

Grandma's brother, Thomas Cyril Dunford [b.1894 at Bournemouth], Middlesex Regiment.

Mum's 2nd cousin ... George Flavelle, Rifleman, Royal Irish Rifles, born at Portadown; died 5 Dec 1917; buried at Fifteen Ravine British Cemetery, Villers-Plouich.

Mum's 2nd cousin ... Peter Gilmore, Royal Irish Fusiliers, born at Portadown; died 14 April 1917; buried at Haute-Avesnes British Cemetery.

Hi all,

My list of relatives are as follows,

Frederick Elijah Dew (Born Bristol 1886)

Royal Navy 1902 - 1909

A/CPL 1673

6th Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment.13/6/1911 - 05/07/1916 invalided.

Gassed within two weeks of arriving in France.

Died of illness relating to the gassing 13/01/1919.

Harold Francis Evans (Born Bristol 1895)

Pte. 16385

Plymouth Division

Royal Marine Light Infantry.

Joined 1913, saw all, gunshot wound to right shoulder received while going over the top 21/03/1918.In France but unsure details.

Air Force Reserve - 1930-1936

T/F Sgt. ACH

Auxiliary Air Force - 1936-1940

T/F Sgt. ACH

Died 21/12/1948

Just starting too research two great uncles

Harry Willington

Will Willington

May they rest in peace.The brave.

Simon.

My Great Grandfather George White,who fought and died with the 2nd Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

My Great Great Uncle,Jesse Samuel Coulson who served with the 7th (Princess Royal's) Dragoon Guards.

My Great Great Uncle,Thomas Coulson who served with,The 6th Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment and was then transferred to the 1st/7th Battalion The Essex Regiment.

Steven

Also

My Great Great Uncle,Private Frederick Clives who fought and died with The 7th Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment.

My Great Great Uncle,Private Benjamin Clives of the Royal Horse Artillery.

Stephen

My grandfather (Paternal), Jonas A Forbes.

Joined the Royal Navy May 1914 (Good timing); Served on HMS Penelope, medical discharge after HMS P was torpedoed.

With the merchant navy until 1918.

Stretcher bearer, army, Western Front, 1918.

Died in 1963.

Worked as a docker and tended to take his work home with him so they moved house a lot to keep one step ahead of the police. Most often left at short notice taking what was at hand and somewhere along the line the 3 sets of medals were "lost". Great!

Great Uncle Arthur Smith, DLI. (Maternal)

I have his 1915 Star and his death penny. Died 28 October 1918 from flu.

Seems my relatives weren't entirely blessed with good luck.

zoo

• 2 months later...
Guest TRACEY123

MY GREAT, GREAT UNCLE CHARLES ROBERT JAMES (35758) SERVED WITH THE 5TH BATTALION YORKSHIRE REGIMENY. HE DIED ON 23/10/1918 AGED 19 HE IS BURIED AT BERLIN SOUTH-WESTERN CEMETARY.

My grand father Lieutenant Bernard Tournadre de Noaillat.

Just student (july 1914) when war started.

* 17ème Regiment d'Artillerie from 1914 to 1919.

* 2 time wounded + severly gazed.

* 4 'citations' ( ~ MID )

* Chevalier de la Légion d'Honneur.

After war he came back to the Ingeneer school he could not go five years before.

Very difficult then for him to be a student following teachers in classrooms after those five years, he was an officier and his health was quite poor because gazed.

He succeeded anyway his exams and then he had to work absolutly outside in pure air. Therefore he became a farmer. He was there president of the

local "former WWI soldiers" association.

He died in 1936 when working for a friend in a a field.

My mother was three years old.

His picture:

post-6797-1115928241.jpg

If by chance somebody as something about his regiment I would be very interested.

'woor joe' - great grandad, 7534 Pte Joseph Humble, 2/KRRC. Qualifying date 30/08/1914. Haig's I Corps. Later 160625 Machine Gun Corps 1915 onwards. Survived.

grt grt grandad - 24165 Pte Amos Wakenshaw, East Yorks. Discharged sick but convinced he then went with 2/Tyneside Scottish. Just a question of proving it....

distant uncle - 45748 Pte Edward Scott, 15th Btn, Durham Light Infantry

Killed in action 16/09/1916.

another distant uncle - (we think) 38824 Pte Thomas Thompson, DLI.

Cheers,

Marc

Don't know if someone will object to a photo of the "enemy" .

My Grandfather's name was Johan Szubity (well that is what was left of the name when the Canadian immigration guy got done with it , but that is story for some other board.)

Grandpa was a German speaking fellow living in what was once Yugoslavia , I guess part of the Austrio Hungarian empire (not certain where the villiage was, because i don't think it exsists anymore as most immigrated to North America).

Anyway, the family story goes that the he was conscripted into the German Army, and captured by the Russians and forced to fight for them...

Various versions say Gramps and his fellows either escaped one night, or all the Russian troops deserted, leaving them to fend for themselves.

My granddad died when I was only 4, and my grandma never would talk about "the old country" .

There is writting on the back but I have to work on it.

Grandpa is the fellow reclining in the front on the right.

post-7015-1116031008.jpg

Hi,

My grandfather:

1739 Private George Gillespie Gowans, 6th Dragoon Guards

Enlisted 14/2/08, Discharged unfit 1/1/18

Entered theatre 2/9/14

My great-uncle:

265617 Private David Gray. 5th/6th Bn Scottish Rifles (Cameronians)

Killed (missing) 8/5/18 NE Dickebusch Lake

Regards,

Q

Here are my three.

Great Grandfather Gunner Wilfred Nelson served in the 330th Brigade RFA attached to the 66th Division. Served Western Front 2 years. survived the war

Great great Uncle Private Robert Davis 1st Auckland Battalion NZEF KIA 26th September 1916. He joined his Battalion in August 1916.

My wifes Great great Uncle Rifleman Colin McOnie. 3rd Battalion of the 3rd Rifle Brigade NZEF. KIA 7th June 1917 He joined his Battalion in April 1917.

May they all rest in peace.

I have documented their stories for any interested pals.

Cheers

Aaron.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out my wifes Great Grandfather served with Royal Army Service Corp.

Driver Sidney Jeffs Docwra

CMT/1759 Royal Army Service Corp

Died aged 47 on 7th April 1919

Found him on CWCG

Remembered with honour

Buried in Fulham Old Cemetery

Regards

Chris

First Lieutenant Grover Carter (U.S. Army)

(Mar. 3, 1918) 104th Field Ambulance

(Apr. 19, 1918) Fourth Army-121st Brigade R.F.A.

A young physician from Memphis, Tennessee, he volunteered on August 1, 1917. He was killed by shrapnel while ministering to soldiers wounded in the field on the evening of October 16, 1918 near Bapaume, France. He was attached to the BEF, 4th Army, 121st Brigade, RFA.

He was my great uncle and I was fortunate to inherit his personal diary. I am in the process on transcribing it and appreciate all the help that I have received from this forum.

Ann Kimzey

Houston, Texas

My great grandfather, Pte. Percival Charles Dawes

Originally with the Durhams, then 123Coy., MGC (Infantry).

Killed 27th June, 1917

My great-uncle, William Brogan

10th Battalion, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

Killed 12th October, 1917

Marina

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dannytruell

I had eight relatives and would appreciate information on any of them.

My grandfathers:

Major Adrian Wrigley Fosbroke-Hobbes M.C. 3rd King's Own Hussars

Lieutenant-Colonel Edmund Gray Stuart Truell 88th Connaught Rangers

6 great-uncles:

Lieutenant Stanley Edwards, North Staffordshire Rgmt KIA 1916

Reverend AJ Fosbroke-Hobbes, Royal Army Chaplain's Division

Lieutenant-Colonel Gaulter (Pat) Hugh Rodger Bellingham Somerville M.C., Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Lieutenant-Colonel James (Jim) Aubrey Henry Bellingham Somerville D.S.O., 29th Indian Mountain Battery

Lieutenant Reginald Malcolm John Bellingham Somerville, Royal Warwickshire Regiment and Machine Gun Corps

Lieutenant-Coloonel William (Bunt) Arthur Tennison Bellingham Somerville D.S.O. and Bar, The King's Own

Remarkable that seven of the eight survived despite serving throughout the War.

• 3 months later...

My grandfather

40801 Gnr Frank Albert Palmer 14th Siege Battery RGA 6/6/14-22/11/19

Great uncle

268930 Pte Elias Palmer Royal Warwickshire Reg, 52271 Royal Irish Rifles, 230827 RGA. ( Still digging on this one so not much info)

Another relative

240931 Sgt Frank Palmer MM "C" Coy. 1st/5th Bn. Gloucestershire Reg. 1914 - Oct. 1917 (died of wounds)

Gary

Well here goes,

Grandfather: Fl Lt RG Spence RNAS/RAF DFC survived DH 9 pilot Stavros.

Great Aunt : Sister W Gedye MBE, ARRC,MiD. Survived 14-18 Western Front

Great Uncle: Capt W M Spence 11th Sikhs. Died in accident 1926

Wifes Grandfather: Major W F Pigot 8th Punjabis/IASC.

Wifes Grandmother: VAD Roach-Kelly.

Great Uncles: Lt Colonel E Roach-Kelly DSO, MC, Croix de Guerre.

Great Uncle: Lt Colonel J Roach-Kelly DSO, MC (South Irish Horse)

Great Uncle: Captain Roach-Kelly Died 1915

Great Uncle: Captain J O Shine Royal Dublin Fusiliers KIA 1917

Great Uncle: 2nd Lt HP Shine Royal Irish Fusiliers KIA Ypres 1915

Great Uncle: 2nd Lt J D Shine Royal Irish Regiment KIA Mons 27 Aug 1914

God bless them all.

Rob