Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

List of Relatives who served 1914-1918

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Evening all.

Here we go!!

My Great-grandad,73313,Pvt Oscar Furnell, 214th(later D-Company,58th Battalion)MGC,who was KIA on the 24.4.18,at Villers-Bretonneux.

My other,paternal,Great-grandad,17136(later 607365),Pvt John Allum,3rd Royal Berks,who was KIA on the 27.9.18,while attached to 65th Company,The Labour Corps.

Also on the list,are CSM(later,Quarter Master Sergeant Major)William Hapgood,my maternal Great-grandad,who was badly wounded at Guillemont,in August 1916.

He was a pre-war regular,who later served in Ireland,before being discharged in September 1918.

There is also my Great-uncle,Pvt Joseph Curry,MM,who served with the 8th West Yorks.

I have done a little work on these two,but there is much to learn.

On top of all of the above,waiting in the wings,are two Step-Great-grandads,one of whom was a Sapper,in the R.E.

I am also always on the lookout for interesting men,on my local War Memorials.

All this,four kids,and a busy day job!!!

It's going to take me forever.

And then there is WW2!!

Many thanks,to this Forum,for most of the info above.

Regards.

Simon Furnell.

224068 PTE Albert G Dawe - 9th & 1/5th Bns, The Lancashire Fusiliers; 1st Reserve Regt of Cavalry; 5th (Princess Charlotte of Wales') Dragoon Guards.

28294 PTE Ernest W Dawe - 12th (Labour) Bn Royal Berkshire Regt; 163 Coy & 225 POW Coy Labour Corps; 13th (Works) Bn Devonshire Regt; 4th Bn Royal Warwickshire Regt.

138 SGT George Smart - Natal Carbineers; SA Railway Regt; 2nd SA Horse; SAFA; KAR; SAPC; SAASC (SA Constabulary - Boer War).

2601867 GNR Alexander Smart - 11th Siege Battery, Canadian Garrison Artillery (SA Constabulary - Boer War).

2239 PTE Sylvester Robertson - 1/5th, 4th/5th and 9th Bns, The Black Watch.

2010417 CSM Albert C Dawe - Canadian Engineers; Canadian Machine Gun Corps; Canadian War Graves Department.

38342 LCPL Joseph Dawe - 2/4th Bn, The Goucestershire Regt; Military Foot Police.

T4/110227 DVR Martin W Dawe - 4th Coy, 15th Divisional Train, Army Service Corps.

3252 RSM Harold J Tesch, French Medal of Honour in Silver - 41st Bn, Australian Imperial Force.

6839 PTE Benjamin R Tesch - 20th Bn, Australian Imperial Force.

5969 PTE Frederick W Zeller - 26th Bn, Australian Imperial Force.

OK here's my two penn'th

My father 49333 Private James Ayling 6th Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment wounded and captured May 1918 at Dernacourt, spent the rest of the war at Quedlinberg. I have a super picture of him and some of his fellow patients in a German hospital.

Dave Ayling

My uncle (fathers side) 20529 Sgt Frank WOODHOUSE, served 14th Bn Royal Welsh Fusiliers, dangerously wounded Memetz Wood, survived, invalided out. (Have his medals, original papers and letters from the trenches and hospital in France)

My grandfather,(mothers side) 6-747 Sgt Daniel George GOSLIN served 6th Bn and 8th Bn Durham Light Infantry from 1908 - wounded (1915) and gassed (1917) but survived, invalided out. Re-enlisted using eldest sons birth certificate in the HG (Sherwood Foresters) in 1939-40 until discharged aged 65.

His first two sons (my uncles), 203265 Cpl Daniel GOSLIN served 15th Bn Durham Light Infantry, survived,

and 79984 Private James GOSLIN served 11th and 8th Bns Durham Light Infantry, taken POW April 1918, survived.

Wife's grandfather, 6444 W.O. II William WILSON, 7/8th Bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers served 1899 - 1918 (South Africa, Malta, Crete, China and France) dow 16 September 1918 Hazebrouck.

Tony

Hi

On my fathers side, my two great-grandfathers:

Private RMA 16563 Ernest Albert WOOD, Royal Marine Artillery, 1917-19.

Private 39450 John MATTHEWS, 2/7th Bn. Hampshire Regt. Also served with Merchant Navy (Steward, "Floridian" and maybe "Vagrant"??).

On my mothers side, my two great grandfathers:

Private 15153 John William TOMBLING, 11th Bn. DLI, 1914-17. Discharged with wounds.

Cpl. O1358 Thomas JACKLING, A.O.C. Served Gallipoli, Egypt, Mespot.

My great-great Uncles:

Private 15729 Charles Frederick MATTHEWS, 2nd Bn. Grenadier Guards. Served from 1912, DoW September 1914.

Private 14841 Edwin MATTHEWS, 7th Bn. Lincolnshire Regt., KiA March 1916.

Private 25781 William MATTHEWS, KOYLI and 3rd London Regt.

If anyone knows of the whereabouts of medals / commemorative plaques or has any information relating to the above, I would very much like to hear from them!

Best wishes

Ed Matthews

Here are three from the family that Ihave records on:

Frank J. Whitehead (Fraternal Grandfather) former NCO in the 15th and 50th U.S. Infantry, 2nd Lieutenant, liaison officer, Camp Mills, Long Island, Port of Embarkation.

Charles J. Mutter, Private, Co. B, 306th Machine Gun Battalion (154th Infantry Brigade: 307th Infantry Regiment, 308th Infantry Regiment, 306th Machine Gun Battalion). Great Uncle.

Corp. Otto E.J. Ernst, Co. I, 165th U.S. Infantry. Killed in action 28 July 1918 at the Battle of the Ourq River (The full British and French title is the Battle of the Soissonais and Ourcq, which lasted from 23 July to 2 August according to the British; and from 18 July to 28 July according to the French). My wife's great uncle, on maternal grandfather's side.

Ralph

Rowland George Stroud R.N. through two wars

Cyril Stephen Clasby R.N. through two wars

Lieutenant Evan Leslie Jones,

35th,82nd,26th Siege Batteries R.G.A, VI Corps HQ Counter Battery staff

Caroline Frances Stroud,

Wkr F. Stroud QMAAC 18386

Philipps Stroud R.N. killed in WW1 but unlisted anywhere that I have looked

Arthur Stroud R.N HMS Flirt killed 26/10/1916

Henry Horatio Stroud R.A.M.C QSA, KSA.

Tom Stroud R.N.

Ted Stroud R.N.

Alfred Stroud R.N.

Herbert Stroud R.N

Photo of Stroud family circa 1904

post-11-1077526461.jpg

I must be one of the few people on this forum whose father, as opposed to grandfather or even great grandfather, served in WW1.

Private William Gibbon

6th Northumberland Fusiliers T. F. - A company, platoon 3,

Wounded at St. Julien. April 26th 1915

Kate C.

My great uncle Hugh Llewellyn, Captain 6th battalion Dorsetshire Regt. Went through the Great War, Ypres, Somme, Spring offensives and the last 100 days. Served again at the outbreak of WW2 as Colonel of a Duke of Wellington battalion.

Wife's great grandfather, served as a private in 1st Dorsets, wounded at Hill 60 in may 1915 buried at Bailleul.

Some more distant relatives who all served in the Royal Warwicks, 2 kia near Serre on july 1st the other wounded. One was found in 1928 and is buried at Serre Road no. 2 the other is commemorated at Thiepval.

Hello All!!!

Just noticed this thread - bit slow of me - great idea. Here's some of mine...

My Great Grandfather: William James Crick, Private L/7443 13th Battalion Middlesex Regiment, d. of w. F&F 22/9/17 buried Achiet-le Grand Cemetary Communal extension.

My Great Uncle: Alfred Huffer, 2nd Corporal WR/270269 12th Light Railway Operating Coy., Royal Engineers. d. F. & F. 15/9/18 buried Esquelbecq Military Cemetary.

His brother: Thomas Huffer, Private 3011 1st/3rd Battalion, London regt. (Royal Fusillers), k. in a. F. & F. 12/9/16 remembered on the Thiepval Memorial.

I'm sure it was by no means unusual, but the above means that my Great Nan (she died in the 1970's) lost her little brother in September 1916, her husband in September 1917 and her big brother in September 1918. How she must have hated that month for ever more...

• 3 weeks later...

My Great Uncles:

Gunner Frederick G Davis: 242 Brigade RFA (3rd South Midlands) died March 1918, buried La Clytte

2nd Lieutenant Austin Ivor Spencer Sutton, 1st South Midlands RFA Brigade, died 12th April 1918, buried Gezaincourt, attached to Y31st Trench Mortar Battery

:(

Hi,

Here,s my relations who

were in ww1

Private Edward B Ballard 2nd Glos regt no/ 1816 died 10 May 1915

remembered Ypres (Menin gate ) memorial ieper , West-Vlaanderen ,

Belgium on panel 22 and 34 .

Also

Henry Prince Ballard 1st Welsh regt ( survived war but lost a leg )

no / 10886 ..

Well abit more for the list .......

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

My great-grandfathers:

16066 PTE J.H. Clark, 13th Battalion Durham Light Infantry, 23rd Division, who served with this unit from September 1914 until 1919, surviving the Somme, Messines, Third Ypres and the Italian Campaign, only to be killed in a mining accident in 1936:(pictured)

770594 GNR T. Hancock, Royal Field Artillery, 63rd (Royal Naval) Division, veteran of -among other places- the Somme and Arras and who recieved 3 days Field Punishment No 2 for "not wearing a steel helmet within the town of Ypres" in 1917 (if I'd been there in 1917, I would have demanded two steel helmets, body armour and a bomb-proof shelter...!) Despite a touch of gas, he lived into a long and happy old-age.

Remembering two men I never knew, from a very proud great-grandson.

Cheers

Paul.

post-11-1080485981.jpg

My Grandad-------------Pvt/Sgt George Ernest Green 8812 Royal Warwicks--Died 1930 Buried Birmingham Aged 42 --------Also ( Royal Navy + Royal Worcesters )

My Grandad-------------Hugh Barclay Royal Flying Corps----Died 1980 Cremated Birmingham Aged 82------Also ( Drummer Boy Army In India )

My GreatGrandad------Pvt George White 1863 Royal Warwicks---Died of wounds 1915---Buried Belgium Aged 38------Also ( R. Warwicks--Boer War )

My GreatGrandad------Pvt Harry Bird 13051 25th Batt, Royal Fusiliers---Died of wounds 1915 Buried Kenya Aged 55------ Also ( E,Troop 5th Cavalry U.S. Army )

My GreatUncle---------Harry Bird (Son Of Above ) Royal Airforce WW1-----Died 1990s Buried Plymouth Aged 80+

My Grandad - William Joseph Brooks (1888 - 1971) - S/20581 Rfn. W J Brooks 13th Battalion of the Rifle Brigade He spent three years in France and Belgium in the Rifle Brigade. He was the only Private in the 13th Battalion of the Rifle Brigade to be awarded the Meritorious Service Medal in World War 1. On page 13 of 'The Rifle Brigade Appendix - The Great War - Honours and Awards': 'S/20581 Rfn. W J Brooks' MSM was Gazetted on 18 January 1919'.

My great-uncle Dick (1887 - 1918) - Private Arthur George Harrison, No. 62732, "B" Company, 5th Machine Gun Battalion, killed in action 20 May 1918, in Ploegsteer, Belgium, at 30 years of age. Commemorated on Panel 11, on the Ploegsteert Memorial in Berks Cemetery Extension, 12.5 km south of Ypres town centre.

My great-uncle Joe (1894 - 1969) - Joseph Barber Brooks, Private 5640 in the 13th Divisional Cyclist Company, Army Cyclist Corps, served in the Gallipoli Campaign.

A 'distant' relative - the father of a cousin of my Dad Bill Brooks:- Abraham John Frank Watts (1893 - 1929, died of TB) - was awarded The Military Medal 3 October 1918:

'From Headquarters, Fourth Army To No 700446 Private F J Watts, London Regiment, attached French Mortar Battery

I congratulate you on the gallantry and devotion to duty for which you have been awarded The Military Medal. General Sir H S Rawlinson, Commanding Fourth Army.'

Are Belgian soldiers also welcome?

Rijkaard (Richard) Blieck Private 2nd kl mil. 1915. 7th art. Loopgraven artellerie (trench mortars) buried at Steenkerke Belgian military cemetery. Died in 29 september 1917 age 22.

Grandfather {Paternal}Richard William Vanhinsbergh,RNAS.BWM Grandfather {Maternal}Walter George Drake No 4 Field Bakery ASC Gassed 1915;1914 Bar Trio.{Lost } Great Uncle Arthur Adolphus Vanhinsbergh,1st KOYLI, KiA 15.02.1915 Ypres. 1914~1915 Star Trio Plaque {Whereabouts Unknown} Great Uncle Charles Stanley{Henry} Vanhinsbergh,2nd .KOYLI, KiA 01:07:1916,Somme,1914 star Trio plaque{Whereabouts Unknown} Great Uncle Peter David Vanhinsbergh 13th Rifle Brigade, KiA 22.08.1918,BWM & Victory In My Collection. Great Uncle Matthew Earnest Vanhinsbergh,East Anglian TF RAMC/RASC,BWM Victory,TEFM,{Poss TFWM}{Whereabouts Unknown} Great Uncle Frederick Vanhinsbergh 7th Royal West Kent Regiment,BWM Victory,SWB{Discharged Neurasthenia~1918}{Whereabouts Unknown} Second Cousin{Grandfathers/Great Uncles Cousins~Not sure of the Removed Calculation}Sergeant,George Edward Vanhinsbergh,DCM,17th LondonRegt;{DCM East Africa,1918 for rescuing his wounded CO} DCM.1914~15 Trio,TFEM ;Great Uncle Adolphus Vanhinsbergh Army Ordanance Corps,1914~1915 Trio{Whereabouts Unknown} Great Uncle George Brewster 9th Liverpool Regiment/Labour Corps, Second Cousin{ditto Removed}Alexander Vanhinsbergh Staffordshire Regiment KiA 1918. Second Cousin{"}Peter Vanhinsbergh,RFA KiA 1916, Second Cousin {"} Rupert Vanhinsbergh Bedfordshire Regiment 1914~15 Trio SWB; Second Cousin {"} Cpl Horace Vanhinsbergh Green Howards{C:1897~19??} & Possibly Others as yet untraced,They had Big families then!!

My Grandfather Sergeant (Daniel) Frank Warnes 39825 Royal Field Artillery (possible Monmouthshire Artillery) enlisted 01/11/1905 to 14/12/1918.

And STILL searching for futher service details.

Guest helenmars

My maternal Great-Uncle.

Private Joseph Kendall

10729, 5th Bn., Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry

Died on 25th September 1915, aged 20

Son of William and Hannah Kendall

Remembered with honour at Ypres memorial

• 1 month later...

Just thought i'd pop mine in ...

this is all i know about my great grandfathers...

Piper, 9545, Thomas Turnbull, 1st Battalion, Kings Own Scottish Borderers

James Richardson ,Royal Horse Artillery (this is all i know about him for now)

both survived the war...

Can't be sure of exact date but these are the 'Thompson' boys - my grandfather was George Thompson. He was gassed and captured on March 21, 1918. My mother was born in 1919 - guess how glad George was to get home. He died of TB in 1930.

Of the others, one lost a leg. The rest came through in one way or another.

Joined since the outbreak of war - 15th Royal Irish Rifles - Pte. Adam Thompson, Galgorm Street; Seaforth Highlanders - Pte. William Thompson, Galgorm Street; Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders, Pte. Wilson Thompson,Galgorm Street; 18th Royal Irish Rifles, Pte George Thompson, Galgorm Street.

George is below - I got my middle name after him.

post-11-1085261449.jpg

Great-grandfathers:

J7677 AB J R Davey RN (career sailor); D A Mackay in the ASC (believe gassed and incapacitated from undertaking further work once about 30 years of age); C W Knights in the RE (a carpenter who joined in his late thirties in '16); and John Adams, who, I believe, served in WW1 in the Merchant Navy.

Great-Great Uncle: G Wright, served in the 20 London Regiment. By all accounts a lovely bloke with a wife named Peter (really, she was a woman with this name; it wasn't a bourgeois cover-up before it became fashionable!)

Probably a few others I've yet to discover.

Cheers

Richard