Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

List of Relatives who served 1914-1918

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Grandfather, Thomas Job Reeves

Enlisted Bournville Lane, Birmingham 10 Dec 1915, his 21st Birthday

Posted to 3/8 Worcesters (Pte 4643), Weston Super Mare Jan 1916 and thence to 1/8th Bn on the Somme.

Gassed on Albert/Poziers Rd night 19/20 July after which the whole Bn had to be taken out of line. Hospitalised on 4.8.16 as the result of above.

Transferred to 10th Lincolns on 1.9.16 (Pte 43707) and wounded Le Point du Jour, Arras 9.4.17. Wounded again at Passchendaele 19.10.17.

Transferred to 3rd Bn Lincolns, Cork 12.1.18 having been medically downgraded with varicose veins.

Transferred 1.9.18 to RE Horse Transport Depot, Aldershot (307046 Driver RE)

Absent without leave 6.9.18 - 9.9.18 - Admonished and fined 3 days pay

Absent without leave 18.12.18 - 27.12.18 - 168 hrs detention, 9 days loss of pay.

Discharged from No 2 Dispersal Camp, Chiseldon, Wiltshire 21.1.19 and happy to be out of it.

Terry Reeves

Great uncles:

2/Lt Daniel McBeth Muncie, 53rd Battery, 2nd Brigade RFA (ex Ayrshire Yeomanry), kia 3/12/17 Cambrai

ERA James Rae Muncie, Royal Navy (later to be Lt Cmdr, RNVR, and killed in Bari 1945)

Grandfather:

Pte William Richmond Muncie, 2 Royal Scots 1917/18

Great-grandfather:

Cpl Charles Edward Handley, MM, RASC attchd 99th Siege Battery Ammunition Column, RGA

Some of my relatives that served in the war;

Lt Thomas Clifton Pittaway MC

34th Bn AIF(ex 36th Bn) Wounded 3 times at Messines, Passchendale & on the Amiens front 30th March 1918;

Pte Phillip George Pittaway

27th Bn Served at Gallipoli & KIA 05/11/16 at Flers, France - No Known Grave

Pte George William Pittaway MM

30th Bn

Pte Leslie Stephen Pittaway

5th DAC(ex light horse)

Pte Henry Joseph Pittaway

18th Bn

Sgt John Rogan

2nd Light Horse Reg - served throught Gallipoli & the Desert campaign

My favorrite uncle, Charles S. Guthrie born Carbon Hill, Walker County Alabama, lived almost all of his life in Harlan COunty, Kentucky pilot trainee `1918, never left the USA.

He continued to fly into his 70s.

My Grandfather

Private Christopher Warner

Enlisted 11/12/15 in 2nd South Staffords No. 23852

Discharged 12/12/17 (wounded) from 7th Norfolks No. 40533

Date of transfer unknown

(survived)

Dedicated to my Great Uncle

80718 Gunner John Cooper

'A' Battery 70th Brigade Royal Field Artillery

- Attached to the 15th (Scottish) Divsion.

Born and enslisted in York.

Killed in action February 20th 1916.

No other known details of service but anxious to find some.

James

My Great Uncle

Private Samuel Greer 6/2143

1st Bn Canterbury Regiment (2nd Coy) NZEF

Joined 13 Feb 1915

Died of Wounds 2 October 1916

Buried Etaples Cemetery

Maternal grandfather,

Pte George Cotton, 2nd Bn South Staffs 1915-19

ASC 1919-20

Served in 5th South Staffs in the 20s and again in the RASC TA in late 30s. Recalled in September 1939, but discharged PDQ on age/health grounds!

Great Uncles...(Great Grandfather served in India 1897 - 1908)

5117 Pte Thomas Wiltshire 1/Wilts

Born 1881, enlisted into Wiltshire Regt in 1899. Taken POW in September 1914 and spent the entire war in captivity.

7638 William Wiltshire 1/Wilts

Enlisted underage in 1905, POW September 1914 and spent the war in captivity.

7972 Herbert Wiltshire 2/Wilts

Enlisted underage in 1904, bought out in 1905 then enlisted again in 1907. Killed in action 8th July 1916 Bernafay Wood,Somme and buried in the British Cemetary.

George Ernest Wiltshire R.F.A.

Overseas November 1915. Gassed and apparantly sent to Italy. Begged to come home to die and was sent to Beaufort House, Bristol. Amazingly lived and was a ARP '39-'45. Church Warden in Bristol and died in 1951.

Frederick Richard Wiltshire Devon Regt

Born 1899 overseas late in war.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Can I add another one. Pte Albert Charles Grenyer 12 Bn Royal Sussex Regiment died 30 June 1916.

I have just found him lurking on my family tree.

Ali

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, this is getting ahead of me ... how do we keep up with all of this information Chris? Some how we need to have this great forum to have a database for all of these topics. You have had such a great success it is hard to know where to start when you log onto the system. I am probably spoilt because I joined at the time of the switch to your new system and there was a lot of 0ne-on-one interaction, now it is so diverse. I know that there is no simple answer to all of this, just as when I suggested a database for the books or references on battle sites .... the problem of you having created a great success. How do we manage all of this information?

My great-uncles:

76320 Private Cyril Evans from Glovers Road, Small Heath Birmingham 10th Royal Welch Fusiliers. Wounded in German gas attack at St. Eloi March 1916. Survived 'friendly fire' incident when battalion was shot up by Essex Regt in Delville Wood, July 1916. KIA Serre, November 13th 1916 aged 19. Thiepval Memorial

721 Private John Hone, 1st Battalion the Royal Warwickshire Regt. from Wellesbourne Warwickshire. 13 year pre-war regular, called up as a reservist in 1914, fought from Le Cateau onwards. Killed (probably by 'friendly fire') in the battalion's last action of the war on 24th October 1918. St Souplet CWGC Cemetery near Le Cateau.

How do we manage all of this information?

I think the real answer to this is that you can not manage it. This kind of information is very fast-flowing and unstructured. However, the forum technology does provide a number of tools to help you track through it, see what's happening and find stuff when you need it.

The MyAssistant tool and View New Posts functions (in the menu at the top right of every screen) allow you to keep up with latest topics and posts.

The Search facility is very powerful, having lots of options for looking for specific or broad-ranging matters.

What a marvellous idea.

The first soldier was not a relative but he was engaged to the lady who was to become my Grandmother later in her life.

The second soldier was the chap who did marry the previously mentioned lady and became my Grandfather.

Soldier 1.

Signaller Ernest Grime, L/8911.

149th. (County Palatine) Brigade, Royal Field Artillery.

Born on 22nd. March, 1897 at 32 Springfield Street, Darwen, Lancs.

Served from March 1915 until his death on 9th. October, 1918.

A gas shell landed at the entrance of his dug-out. The explosion rendered other soldiers in the dug-out unconcious but, unfortunately, he died of his wounds.

He is buried in La Laiterie Military Cemetery, near Ypres.

Soldier 2.

Charles William Lester.

11th. (Prince Albert's Own) Hussars.

Joined up in 1916 at the age of 16. He survived the war.

Sadly my Grandfather died before I became interested in the First World War, so I didn't find out much else about what he did. His service record was destroyed in the blitz so I am unable to find out exactly what he did other than what he told his daughter, my Mother. I do have a copy of the War Diary of the 11th. Hussars but, obviously, it is not a personal diary.

The soldier who is listed below was my maternal great-grandfather and it a brief mention of his death in the Battle of the Somme that triggered my interest in the Great War.

Also, my wife's paternal grandfather was Stanley Adams HOUGHTON who served in the 23rd London Regiment and was wounded in the Battle of Festubert in May 1915. He returned to service with a commission in the Labour Corps, and he survived the war, dying in 1995.

My paternal grand uncle William Fielding seems to have served with the Derbyshire Yeomanry in the Middle East before transferring to the Mounted Military Police. He too survived the war, with his son Raymond serving in thr Fleet Air Arm in WW2.

My grandfather

Sgt James Todd MM - 135 Siege Battery RGA who survived the war

and my great uncle

Lance Corporal William Johnson Weatherley - 8th Btn KRRC - KIA 02/07/16 at Roclincourt and buried in the Faubourg D'Amiens Cemetery at Arras.

My paternal Grandfather Walter Hornby, served with the Machine Gun Corps.

He won the Military Medal at the Battle of Arras whislt serving in 45 Company MGC.

He eventually made the Rank of Sergeant.

He survived the War.

Martin

Guest RichardM

7981 Pte Patrick Costigan, 2nd Duke of Wellington's.

79273 Pte Thomas Mann, E.Yorks Regt & 2nd Durham Light Infantry

Sgt. J. G. Hume, York and Lancaster Regiment

8063 L/Cpl Peter Costigan, 1st Leinster Regiment. Killed 5th May 1915.

Paternal grandfather Private Kiril or Karl Broznitsky (aka Broznitzky) 417854, 41st Battalion CEF, 3rd Pioneer Battalion CEF, 29th Vancouver Battalion CEF, 24 + 19 Companies, Canadian Forestry Corps.

1895-1977.

Maternal grandfather John Mitson, who served in a British unit. Just beginning research on him!

How do we manage all of this information?

I think the real answer to this is that you can [colour=blue]not[/colour] manage it. This kind of information is very fast-flowing and unstructured. However, the forum technology does provide a number of tools to help you track through it, see what's happening and find stuff when you need it.

The MyAssistant tool and View New Posts functions (in the menu at the top right of every screen) allow you to keep up with latest topics and posts.

The Search facility is very powerful, having lots of options for looking for specific or broad-ranging matters.

Thanks Chris! I have used the SEARCH function a lot and that works well. Honestly, I did not know about "MY ASSISTANT" and so I have now checked that out and it is great. Thanks for the tip.

I just sent a friend (Gary Loftus) to your web site today who is a WWII buff, so he could see what is here for the Great War. Do you know if there is a similar site to this for WWII?

• 3 weeks later...

here we go.

Armourer-staff Sergeant Albert Edward Leader, originally west somerset yeomanry then transfering to AOC.

Jack Leader,Royal Artillery discharged at some point from gassing. Rank unknown at present.

Eric Leader Royal engineers( poss royal sigs at some point.) rank unknown at present.

Arm

• 8 months later...

Found this topic whilst doing a "search" - and if it is not too late, would like to add the following :

Leonard Charles Quarry - Corporal RGA No: 88437 - 449 Siege Battery

Died 6-1-1919 Military Hospital, Gravesend

Frederick George Quarry - Corporal RGA No: 16498

David Harold Sutton - 10th Bn London Regt (No: 422890) and 4th Bn London

Regiment (No: 295543)

Henry George Phillips - South Wales Borderers No: 9165 )on reserve, recalled

August 1914, made a POW 21.10.1914 - released late

1918/early 1919