Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

unfound men on Liverpool memorial

andalucia

Hi All

I am researching a local war memorial in Liverpool, you can see it on the link below

http://www.freewebs.com/eldonmemww1/index.htm

I am having trouble finding a few of the mens service details, no regiment or anything. I have possibles for census returns, these returns are the only fitting name i can find within the area. just posting here in the hope that someone may be able to spot them.

The men come from a very built up area in Liverpool, they will be Roman Catholic.

Not sure if they can be found? but here is hoping.

T.ALLEN possible Thomas Allen

1901 census, 24 Portland Street, Liverpool. James (grandfather) 65, Dock Labourer, Margaret ( grandmother) 65. Children, Catherine 37, Helper, Thomas 35, Dock labourer. Grand Children, James 14, News Message Boy, Francis 13, Thomas 12. All born in Liverpool.

H.BENSON possible Henry Benson

1901 census, 12 court 9 house Hornby Street, Liverpool. William (father) 31 Dock labourer, Mary A (mother) 30. Children William 14 Coal dealers boy, Thomas 10, Henry 7, Mary A 4, Elizabeth 1. All born in Liverpool.

A.BRACK possible Andrew Brack

1901 census, 16 court 6 house Burlington Street, Liverpool. Henry J (father) 36 Dock labourer, Catherine (mother) 35. Children Andrew 9, Joseph 8, Kate 4, Agnes 2. Also Sarah McGuinness (step-Sister, Daughter of Catherine) 15 Bottle Winer in factory. All born in Liverpool.

J.BROOMFIELD possible John( or John P ) Broomfield

1891 census. Lodgers at 58 Maguire Street, Liverpool. Sarah Hughes 29, Charwoman,Widowed ( mother of John Broomfield) born Dublin, Ireland, Mary E Hughes 27, Office Cleaner (sister to Sarah) born Dublin, Ireland. John P Broomfield 4, born Liverpool.

1901 census, 82 Gildarts Gardens, Liverpool. Sarah Ann Hughes 38, Charwoman, Mary Hughes 36, John Broomfield 13.

M.DAVITT possible Martin Davitt

1901 census, 8 house 3 court, Back Diamond Street, Liverpool. Alice(mother) 39, widowed. Children Michael 18, General labourer, Martin 15, General labourer, Edward 9. All born in Liverpool.

I will leave it at this for now, If im being to cheeky asking then just tell me, I dont want to be to pushy.

Many Thanks

Ant

I recently researched some 370 names on the World War One war memorial at my old school. I offer a few thoughts based on this experience.

1. The people concerned in researching and erecting these memorials had to set their own criteria and if the then Imperial War Graves Commision (now CWGC) had central registers they were almost certainly held in London amd probably not completed until the mid-20s. So, the local committees alsmost certainly had to rely on word-of-mouth, obituaries in local and national newspapers, and so on.

2. The school committee was certainly more generous and charitable than the IWGC in defining what was meant by a "war death." One man was discharged with very serious wounds and then committed suicide; he is on the school memorial but not on the IWGC. Simi8larly, a young man who died at home of leukemia is not on the IWGC as it was not classified as a "war death." But he is on the school memorial.

3. Conversely, there are two names on the school memorial who did NOT die in the war, nor as a result of the war. One died in NZ in 1924 (poisoned foot) the other in Camden in 1950 (repeat 1950) of old age. I have full documentrary proof in both cases. How they came to be included on a war memorial completed in 1920 is a total mystery.

4. One other name caused me a lot of research. His name is on the school memorial but is not on the IWGC/CWGS roll. After a lot of research I established that he had emigrated to the USA in 1912, had joined the US Army in 1917 and died in France in 1918. Thus - and quite rightly in both cases - the school rearaded him as an old boy who had died in the war, while the IWGC, by its very title, did not cover the US forces (His name is also on his local war memorial at Wallingford, by the way).

5. My conclusion is that in the case of my school the committee was under a lot of pressure to complete their research and get the memorial finished (which they achieved by October 1920) but the research facilities at their disposal were very limited and they simply did their very best. One suggestion I offer is that your parish church must have established a committee who would inevitably have opened a number of files. Were these documents deposited anywhere - in your parish records or the local. townhall, for example? Worth a try.

Anyway,

Best of luck

David

Ant, Only one on SDGW named HENRY BENSON BORN AND ENLISTED LIVERPOOL 10TH CAMERONIANS 24963 KIA 26-4-17. TWO X MARTIN DAVITT 5TH KINGS LIVERPOOL 18427 KIA 15-3-17 and MARTIN DAVITT 9TH KINGS LIVERPOOL 4432 KIA 2-7-16. Ralph.

of 4 M DAvitts on soldiers died 2 are from Scotland 2 Liverpool. Both Martins, 1 wrong age so likley

Name: DAVITT

Initials: M

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

Unit Text: 12th Bn.

Date of Death: 15/03/1917

Service No: 18427

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Z. 4.

Cemetery: CARNOY MILITARY CEMETERY

Ant. JOHN PATERSON BROOMFIELD BORN AND ENLISTED BIRKENHEAD 5196 2/6TH GLOUCESTER REGT KIA 19-7-16 formerly 2960 4th BATT CHESHIRE REGT. Ralph.

Ant, JOSEPH BEARDWOOD SGT 10492 2ND KINGS OWN (ROYAL LANCASTER REGT) BORN EVERTON ENLISTED LIVERPOOL DIED 24-9-18. Ralph.

Ant. THOMAS ALLEN 12336 11TH KINGS LIVERPOOL REGT KIA 28-5-17 BORN EVERTON ENLISTED AND LIVED LIVERPOOL. Ralph.

Hi Ralph, David and Welshdoc

Thank you so much for the help, I shall have a look at these men.

cheers

Ant