Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seaforth Highlanders

stfergus

Hi Folks,

Have recently identified my Maternal G/father in terms of his military service, will now attempt to get his service record if it survives. He was with the 13th. Royal Scots, MIC says France 9/7/1915. so any info re- R.S. fromthat time on would be much appreciated. ( alexander Smith)

My Paternal G/father`s records do not survive, as a result of the info provided by the forum re 1st. G/father I was able to discover my Paternal was in the Seaforths, Reg. No 13750 he also has a Labour Corps No. I already have some info re this 2nd. No. from Ivor Lee.

Any info on Seaforths relevant to this no. greatly appreciated.

(James H. Paterson)

regards,

Jmaes H. paterson

James,

Have yuo seen my post on your other Thread concerning researching the Royal Scots?

George

James,

Have yuo seen my post on your other Thread concerning researching the Royal Scots?

George

Hi George,

Sorry if I am being thick struggle with getting about the internet at times. I read where you suggested looking for medals, etc. unfortunately nothing of my G/father exists to the best f my knowledge.

All I have is what I have posted here.

All is not doom and gloom however as a result of this forum I am quite confident the man I spoke about is my grandfather, it was confirmed by comparing where he lived prior to going to France and where his children were born on his return. Not 100% foolproof but it fits very well, "I am aware of the dangers wishfull linking"

regards and thanks,

James.

James,

In your Thread "Seeking info on Grandfather" you ask for details about the 13th Royal Scots.

I've added a few pointers on that thread that may help(or hinder).

You're not alone,battling with the complexities of the internet or madness of this Forum :D

George

James,

Re your Seaforth man - you would be advised to have a look through the linked site (top of page) - The Long Long Trail. It tells you what you need to know for such searches.

My guess is that he was wounded or somehow degraded in fitness and transferred to the Labour Corps as a result. This in turn may mean that he had a pension and therefore perhaps worthwhile looking up the pensions records on Ancestry.

To know what he was upto in the Seaforths you will need to know which battalion he served with. I expect he would have served at first in the 3rd Bn at Cromarty, and went through his basic training on the Black Isle. Thereafter he would have been posted to a battalion overseas for active service.

Have you downloaded his medal card?

Description Medal card of Paterson, James H

Corps Regiment No Rank

Seaforth Highlanders 13750 Corporal

Labour Corps 114781 Corporal

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/15

++

Ian