Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt. Angus McKenzie, 2nd Manchesters/ W. India Regt.

gnr.ktrha

Hello All,

I have a Swagger Cane presented to Angus McKenzie, by his 'Comrades in the Sergeants Mess' Dated 1915. The cane has the badges of the 2nd Bn. West India Regiment on it. I have checked the online MIC's at the NA website, but have not downloaded it :o . It shows Angus was the RSM and that he was Commissioned 2nd Lieutenant, in the WIR. He was later a Captain in the 2nd Manchester Regiment.

He appears to have been awared the MC twice and was killed on the 4th November 1918, along with Wilfred Owen.

Does anyone have any details of the action he was killed in, or the actions in which he won his MC's? I would also be keen to see a photo of him and his battalion.

Any WIR experts out there? I would love to know more details about them. Do you have a photo of the RSM!

Because he came from my local area, I hope I may find something more on him in the local papers, but it will be a month or so before I can search them.

Any information would be great,

Stewart

for details of the MC which was awarded the previous Sept. see SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 9 JANUARY, 1918.

Capt. Angus McKenzie, Manch. R.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to

duty during a raid upon enemy trenches.

Although heavily shelled before moving off,

he led his company to their objective in good

order and continued to control them even

when wounded himself in the shoulder by

an enemy bomb. He was the last to come

in, having set a splendid example throughout.

for details of the award of the Bar to the above MC see SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 7 NOVEMBER, 1918.

Capt. (A./Maj.) Angus McKenzie, M.C.,

Manch. R.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to

duty during an attack. He led his company

splendidly, and by his fine example inspired

his men with confidence. He consolidated a

dangerous position after it had been

evacuated by other units, and eventually

handed it over intact when his company was

relieved.

(M.C. gazetted 26th September, 1917.)

regards

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

This was his transfer to Manchester Regiment - Gazette Issue 29562 published on the 28 April 1916. Page 12 of 70

Manch. R.—Lt. Angus McKenzie, from

W.I.R., to be Capt. 29th Apr. 1916.

I've just looked at his CWGC entry - 24 years service and he died a week before the war ended - what can you say?

The Manchester Regiment Group might be able to help with specifics of his service with them - http://www.themanchesters.org/

Good Luck with the research Stewart

Cheers

Sue

Hello everyone and thank you all very much for all of your help. It's great to see his MIC. I did not know that the WIR was in India, I had read they fought in East and West Africa. I will need to try and find out a bit more about this unit.

It is great to read his citations for his MC's. I wonder when the date and place of these actions was, it would be interesting to tie them down.

I have been searching on the net for photographs and info on Mr. Owen. I was hoping there would be a group photo of him and his fellow officers, but so far I have drawn a blanc.

I will try the Manchester group website and see if they can turn up anything.

If I find any photo's of him, I will post them here :D or if anything else turns up. I will also try and take some photo's of his cane and inscription, and post them so you can see it.

Terrible to die so close to the end of the war. He sounds as if he was a very brave man. Next time I am over in France, I am going to try and visit his grave.

Regards,

Stewart

Stewart

Might be worth a PM to Forum member "2nd Manchesters". Unsurprisingly, David has a particular interest in the battalion and is writing a history of the unit.

Some details of 4 November on my website (one of my local chaps was awarded a VC for the action) - James Kirk

John

Hello John,

Nice website, thanks for the link. I will send 2nd Manchester a PM.

many thanks once again,

Stewart

Stewart

Brian Dyde has written a history of the West India Regiment titled "The Empty Sleeve":

# Paperback: 287 pages

# Publisher: Hansib Publishing (Caribbean) Ltd (March 1, 1998)

# ISBN-10: 9768163097

# ISBN-13: 978-9768163097

Harry

Stewart

Might be worth a PM to Forum member "2nd Manchesters". Unsurprisingly, David has a particular interest in the battalion and is writing a history of the unit.

Some details of 4 November on my website (one of my local chaps was awarded a VC for the action) - James Kirk

John

Hi John thank you for the referral, I am sending what I have for McKenzie as soon as I have put it all together maps Diary etc, between us I think we have done the Forum proud.

Also can you P/M me with a postal address to mail what I have for you up to now on 1/6 and 2/6 for you cheers Dave